Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline

Legend

User Info Menu

My God North_Blitz

Why can't you see that what's going on now, in present times is what matters. Not what happened in 2010.

Right now,....here today....in recent times (the last 8 years) .....Tomlin has been a playoff failure. You don't get by by what you did over a decade ago. The world doesn't work like that.

I can't go and tell the electric company that I paid my light bill in 2010 so you should be giving me credit in 2019..........
    If you don't pay the light bill NOW, you will get you electricity cut off..........

Tomlin hasn't paid the electric bill since 2010.
    He can't ask for credit from the electric company in 2019 for a bill he paid in 2010. 8 years is well over the majority of his tenure; and he hasn't gotten it done in those 8 years.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    My God North_Blitz

Why can't you see that what's going on now, in present times is what matters. Not what happened in 2010.

Right now,....here today....in recent times (the last 8 years) .....Tomlin has been a playoff failure. You don't get by by what you did over a decade ago. The world doesn't work like that.

I can't go and tell the electric company that I paid my light bill in 2010 so you should be giving me credit in 2019..........
    If you don't pay the light bill NOW, you will get you electricity cut off..........

Tomlin hasn't paid the electric bill since 2010.
    He can't ask for credit from the electric company in 2019 for a bill he paid in 2010. 8 years is well over the majority of his tenure; and he hasn't gotten it done in those 8 years.
    Maybe, but there's also this:

Recency bias is one of many cognitive errors (http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/07/top-10-investor-errors-cognitive-errors/) that plague investors. It refers to the human tendency to overemphasize more recent data. The recency bias is most likely to be discussed in the realm of behavioral finance however this bias can be found in every day life too.

https://mullooly.net/recency-bias-is...recent%20data.

I tend to default away from taking a huge gamble with the last few years of Ben's career. I think this is also what the team will do.

PS Nice deflection.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Your right in both paragraphs...

Northcoast, come on dude....

If Tomlin were good at evaluating & developing prospects, how come he hasn't drafted & developed a legit cornerback/safety his entire 12 year career here???

And I'm not going for the argument that Colbert has been wrong on his picks for Tomlin ALL 12 YEARS! I'm just not. Tomlin can't develop secondary players in a area he claimed to be his specialty...that's the God's honest truth.
    Ok, I'll give paragraph 2 a partial +1 and partial -1. It's true Tomlin's record at DB evaluation is dismal. But development is on the assistants. And Tomlin has shown he has limited patience with those coaches. How many has he jettisoned in the last 5 yrs?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wish the whining about trading a first for Minkah would stop. He's done nothing but good for that defense and worth taking ONE first round pick. Some of you act like the Steelers traded away what the Bears did for Mack. Just please stop.
    Rara's WAY TOO EARLY mock v2
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Round 2- Anfernee Jennings, OLB; Alabama
    Round 3 (Bell comp?)- Tristen Wirfs, OT; Iowa
    Round 4a- Cameron Dantzler, CB; Mississippi State
    Round 4b- Lorenzo Neal, DT; Purdue
    Round 6- Emeka Emezie, WR; NC State
    Round 7- Darnay Holmes, CB; UCLA

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I wish the whining about trading a first for Minkah would stop. He's done nothing but good for that defense and worth taking ONE first round pick. Some of you act like the Steelers traded away what the Bears did for Mack. Just please stop.
    I have to agree with you Rara. The kid has been getting better game by game. I think he is going to be a star in this league.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ok, I'll give paragraph 2 a partial +1 and partial -1. It's true Tomlin's record at DB evaluation is dismal. But development is on the assistants. And Tomlin has shown he has limited patience with those coaches. How many has he jettisoned in the last 5 yrs?
    True!!!! So he can’t even evaluate secondary coaches either??? Wow... he’s that much of a fraud at his supposed expertise?? This nightmare just gets worse and worse.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Rara, I hear you and get what your saying. But it’s a fair question; the more loses , the higher the pick.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I have to agree with you Rara. The kid has been getting better game by game. I think he is going to be a star in this league.
    Originally I was upset because I felt like we'd pick pretty easily in the top 10.

He's looked pretty good though, so now I think I'll only be upset if it's top 5 or so...and even then, there may not be a QB to draft.

His contract status is good and bad. It's good that he'll already have 2 years under his belt when Ben comes back. It's also good that he cost us almost nothing in cap space because the Fins are eating his SB (like we ate ABs). It's bad that we'll only have him cheap for 3 more years after this, but Ben will probably be gone by then and we'll probably be bad.

I think the D has looked really good with additions of Minkah and Bush. If Ben comes back healthy maybe we can give him an above average D that looks like the ones he won SBs with.

I thought it was a desperate move when we made it, but at this point it has me pretty excited for next year. I also think this year can be fun the rest of the way, because I'm really only concerned with seeing young guys get better (and hopefully avoiding a pick where a franchise QB is available).

Part of me will probably still wonder how bad we would have been without the trade and what pick we would have gotten.

But, we took a more sure thing (which is very good) over a lottery ticket. Not a bad decision, even if I don't know if it's the one I would have made.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-13-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Originally I was upset because I felt like we'd pick pretty easily in the top 10.

He's looked pretty good though, so now I think I'll only be upset if it's top 5 or so...and even then, there may not be a QB to draft.

His contract status is good and bad. It's good that he'll already have 2 years under his belt when Ben comes back. It's also good that he cost us almost nothing in cap space because the Fins are eating his SB (like we ate ABs). It's bad that we'll only have him cheap for 3 more years after this, but Ben will probably be gone by then and we'll probably be bad.

I think the D has looked really good with additions of Minkah and Bush. If Ben comes back healthy maybe we can give him an above average D that looks like the ones he won SBs with.

I thought it was a desperate move when we made it, but at this point it has me pretty excited for next year. I also think this year can be fun the rest of the way, because I'm really only concerned with seeing young guys get better (and hopefully avoiding a pick where a franchise QB is available).

Part of me will probably still wonder how bad we would have been without the trade and what pick we would have gotten.

But, we took a more sure thing (which is very good) over a lottery ticket. Not a bad decision, even if I don't know if it's the one I would have made.
    I look at it simply as the Steelers used their 1st rd pick one year early. You can argue value all you want, but the secondary has been the weakest spot on the defense for several years and didn't seem to be getting better. A high defensive pick was likely anyway.
    This was a good move by Colbert and company. It's why he is one of the best GMs in the business.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No way we were drafting a QB next year in the first round.

Could there be someone better that Minkah in the draft? Maybe... but it’s a gamble and an unknown.

Minkah is proven and he is playing well.

Anyone pointing out the losses needs to look at how we are losing. Guys on offense aren’t getting it done.

Our D has put us in a position to win 3 games. The offense hasn’t produced for obvious reasons.