Thread: Something to think about...

Legend

User Info Menu

Something to think about...

Looked for some stats. Data is from 2016 but if anything with the recent firings after one year it is worse

https://the-cauldron.com/nfl-head-co...a-a41e2e68a1b6

I think the conclusion is good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Author makes a good point why fans should temper their enthusiasm for making coaching changes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wonder if the Steelers have information like this.

Seems to fit with their system of hiring coaches and letting them work.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Wonder if the Steelers have information like this.

Seems to fit with their system of hiring coaches and letting them work.
    I think all professional teams are into analytics now...only difference is how much they buy in. I'm sure the Rooney's know this from the analytics and 75 years experience that when you have a good coach you keep him

Legend

User Info Menu

Hahahahahahahaha. Your not going to suck me into this one. The data your supplying isn't applicable but I'll leave it alone.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha. Your not going to suck me into this one. The data your supplying isn't applicable but I'll leave it alone.
    As expected

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

At least he supplies data to back up his point of view. Something you could learn from.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    At least he supplies data to back up his point of view. Something you could learn from.
    “your not going to trick me with facts and figures. I will stick to hypotheticals and agenda posting”

Mongrief is going to be solid!

FACTS!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I've given you tons of historical and factual date; If you choose to ignore it then there's nothing I can do. Please see my signature data on Tomlin if you want factual data.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why do you think this data isn't applicable?

Seems like the exact type of data set we want because it's a large sample size of success of new coaches across the NFL.

Maybe we've hired good coaches because Dan Rooney had a repeatable knack for finding great young coaches. Or maybe he just flipped heads 3 times in a row (which you can totally do!). We can't know with sample size of 3 across like 50 years.

Looking at a large data set gives us a better idea of what an expected result might look like without having to rely on (i) a talent for picking coaches that may or may not be repeatable and (ii) that a talent for repeatably picking great coaches is hereditary if it does exist (because Dan can't pick our next coach without having access to someone who can talk to people on the "other side").

This data set is especially important if you think our current coach is terrible and always was. Because if you think Tomlin is an Overpaid Janitor and only won because of "Cowher's players", you can't also believe that we have a repeatable talent for picking great coaches.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-11-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158