Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about clock management?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I just think the 20 is too far to limit the QB to just end zone passes, I think they wanted to have the option to throw it short of the goal line.
    Well, what they would have been limited to are the sideline and end zone. Since in the end zone is a TD that leaves the middle of the field available there, plus the sideline. I just think at some point you have to play football and try to win the game rather than play to not lose the game. I would have called the TO, told him we're looking to the sideline or end zone, if it isn't there, throw it away, same on the next play, then kick if unsuccessful.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Not sure I want Mason taking shots in the endzone from the 20.

Maybe they could’ve clocked it?
    Yea, they could have clocked it, not sure what that would have left them on the clock, it may have kept the middle of the field in play for one more play and you have the TO to stop it if the play isn't a TD. I just think letting it run and running a hurry-up wasn't ideal.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yea, they could have clocked it, not sure what that would have left them on the clock, it may have kept the middle of the field in play for one more play and you have the TO to stop it if the play isn't a TD. I just think letting it run and running a hurry-up wasn't ideal.

Pappy
    It's tough because taking points early is usually a good strategy.

But, I think trying to get a strike for the TD would have been reasonable too.
    Talent vs coaching: [[url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14][/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: [... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5]

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): [... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22]

Tomlin's Las year: [... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, what they would have been limited to are the sideline and end zone. Since in the end zone is a TD that leaves the middle of the field available there, plus the sideline. I just think at some point you have to play football and try to win the game rather than play to not lose the game. I would have called the TO, told him we're looking to the sideline or end zone, if it isn't there, throw it away, same on the next play, then kick if unsuccessful.

Pappy
    Sure it leaves you the sidelines but they are worried about a guy being tackled in bounds with no timeouts. You want the full compliment of routes and having the timeout ensures that Ravens will have to defend against those routes and not just protect the end zone and sidelines. I think it is playing to win, you are ensuring you get points without having to make risky plays.

Starter

User Info Menu

The Steelers did lose about 15 seconds of time because they didn't use the final timeout after a short pass play to about the 20 (I think). They ran the second play hurry-up, it was incomplete and Mason was roughed this left 7 seconds, they tried a quick pass then took the FG.

Wouldn't it have been better to stop the clock after the short gain to the 20 yard line and leave about 20 seconds. You can take two shots into the EZ and if unsuccessful, kick the FG. By not taking the TO, the Steelers got one real quick look at an EZ throw.

Pappy
    Thank you.
    Let's see if the ones that accused me of not watching the game admit that they are the clueless ones.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Problem is you don't get the extra shots, because he would of had to clock it on 2nd and 6 putting him in 3rd and 6, so he only gets one shot and has to kick the field goal anyway.
    correct... clocking it doesn't give you that down back... so,he'd get ONE shot if you do it that way and if he's sacked or tackled in bounds, they're toast
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    correct... clocking it doesn't give you that down back... so,he'd get ONE shot if you do it that way and if he's sacked or tackled in bounds, they're toast
    or he throws for a first down and then calls a TO and takes 2 shots.

or he throws for a first down and the WR or RB gets out of bounds and saves a time out.

or we miss on the first down and kick the FG

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Exactly right, the clock was managed correctly, I think the QB needs to get the play called and ball snapped faster after a 4 yard gain but i for sure dont think you call the timeout.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Exactly right, the clock was managed correctly, I think the QB needs to get the play called and ball snapped faster after a 4 yard gain but i for sure dont think you call the timeout.
    I wasn’t a fan of the high floater our of the endzone. Throw it in the dirt at a players feet and save 3 seconds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it's a very different situation if you've got Ben back there, too. You'd trust that he won't take the sack and actually might be able to call a play at the LOS himself... not something you'd necessarily trust with a guy making what, his 3rd NFL start - too many things could go wrong.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!