Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Deferring the kickoff is just

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    His worse coaching display was when he walked on the field against the Ravens game and tried to stop Jacoby Jones from scoring and tried to lie about it. To me, that was and is one of the lowest moments of any coach EVER in the NFL. Right up there with Woody Hayes.
    I think it was pretty comparable to Cowher stuffing the picture in the Ref's pocket.

Coaches shouldn't physically interfere with games during play.

Players and coaches shouldn't touch refs.

But, both events were actually kind of comical IMO
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it was pretty comparable to Cowher stuffing the picture in the Ref's pocket.

or Cowher cocking his fist at a jag's player who was returning a blocked FG attempt to win the game...

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Both comical but not comparable. One was expressing displeasure with getting screwed by a call. The other was an inexcusable attempt to cheat and potentially injury an opposing player during live play.
    And I agree, no one should touch a ref....ever

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Both comical but not comparable. One was expressing displeasure with getting screwed by a call. The other was an inexcusable attempt to cheat and potentially injury an opposing player during live play.
    And I agree, no one should touch a ref....ever
    and you missed the video above? equally comical, and definitely comparable... this was clearly intentional

Legend

User Info Menu

Lol.... driving down the field?
    He fumbled our second play.
    The first play gained 3 yards.
    I thought I read were our 3rd string qb wasn't capable of driving down to score a TD and sucked because his longest drive was 42 yards. Now I find out that 2 plays that netted 12 yards was driving down the field and close to winning the game...... classic... lol
    What you read and have been reading is that it is highly unlikely that our 3rd (actually 4th) string quarterback was going to drive 75 yards for a TD (Since it didn't happen on any of the drives for which he was quarterback, however, a 42 yard drive did happen). So, probability and statistics tells you that since one event didn't occur and another event did occur that it is more likely that the event that actually happened could happen again. While this is not a guarantee, it is more likely that the 45 yard drive occurs than the 75 yard TD drive based on the sample of data from the game.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What you read and have been reading is that it is highly unlikely that our 3rd (actually 4th) string quarterback was going to drive 75 yards for a TD (Since it didn't happen on any of the drives for which he was quarterback, however, a 42 yard drive did happen). So, probability and statistics tells you that since one event didn't occur and another event did occur that it is more likely that the event that actually happened could happen again. While this is not a guarantee, it is more likely that the 45 yard drive occurs than the 75 yard TD drive based on the sample of data from the game.

Pappy
    What I read was a 3rd string qb handed off the ball for 3 yards and the next play was a 8 yard pass and that was deamed as driving down the field to execute Tomlin's grand plan to victory. Yet, that same QB could only muster a few drives in the game earlier that produced much more yardage and points.

Legend

User Info Menu

What I read was a 3rd string qb handed off the ball for 3 yards and the next play was a 8 yard pass and that was deamed as driving down the field to execute Tomlin's grand plan to victory. Yet, that same QB could only muster a few drives in the game earlier that produced much more yardage and points.
    I don't believe anyone has said they were "driving" down the field, I certainly didn't. I've maintained that it is more likely that they would "drive" 45 yards than it is they would "drive" 75 yards and score a TD. I have more faith right now in the defense and Boswell than I do in the offense. So, betting on the defense and Boswell is the better play in this case, imo, whether you want to see it that way or not.

This debate has run its course.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Starter

User Info Menu

I don't believe anyone has said they were "driving" down the field, I certainly didn't. I've maintained that it is more likely that they would "drive" 45 yards than it is they would "drive" 75 yards and score a TD. I have more faith right now in the defense and Boswell than I do in the offense. So, betting on the defense and Boswell is the better play in this case, imo, whether you want to see it that way or not.

Pappy
    That I will agree with. I'm tired of arguing about it.
    FYI, Ovi said we we were driving.....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Agreed about the debate running it's course. I think those like myself that disagree with the strategy can understand Tomlin's logic. It's not like we don't understand his logic, we just disagree with his logic and his strategy. Those on the other side of the fence, clearly agree with his logic.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Agreed about the debate running it's course. I think those like myself that disagree with the strategy can understand Tomlin's logic. It's not like we don't understand his logic, we just disagree with his logic and his strategy. Those on the other side of the fence, clearly agree with his logic.
    like to see this, actually.

"seeing and understanding where he was coming from" is important. IMO, this decision is similar to getting across midfield to the opponents 40 on a 4th and 3 and having to make the call whether to punt or go for it. We all have our preferences on what the coach should do, but, there's really no definitive right or wrong answer... it's one of those things where the coach goes with a gut based on game flow and either decision could bite him in the arse if it doesn't work out. And that's every coach...