Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deferring the kickoff is just

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've seen Belichick mentioned in a few posts as having done this before. People do know he lost, right? Against the Jets and they promptly went down the field and scored a TD. NE was heavily criticized for the decision.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I've seen Belichick mentioned in a few posts as having done this before. People do know he lost, right? Against the Jets and they promptly went down the field and scored a TD. NE was heavily criticized for the decision.
    Ya i dont think anyone is suggesting you win everytime. Hell, statistically its about 50/50 taking the ball, so i think a team has to look at the circumstances they are dealing with.

Backup

User Info Menu

But the Rats didnít march down and score on us.

the decision worked.

I wasnít a fan when it was made but it was executed to perfection.

what are the chances we receive and get a long return vs a holding call on a pooch kick?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you (anyone) didn't think the Duck caller could march the team down and score a TD; what makes you think he could march them down and put the Steelers in FG range? Seems as if people want it both ways.

I don't like the decision because you are one CB/S slip away from an easy TD and the game being over. And while the D did a great job in OT; they had just allowed Baltimore to drive 45 yards to give up the lead.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    That guy in New England did the same thing once. Tomlin said it was based on his zero confidence in the return game. To his credit after Ravens punt we had the ball on the 35 so it worked out in this case but I did not like the decision either.
    That said if Washington offers a #1 I make that deal. MT gets a new start. We get a top prospect. The Rooneys get to make a smooth transition into a new coaching staff.
    I'm all for it. We've got to take advantage of Snyder's stupidness; everybody else does.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

If you (anyone) didn't think the Duck caller could march the team down and score a TD; what makes you think he could march them down and put the Steelers in FG range? Seems as if people want it both ways.

I don't like the decision because you are one CB/S slip away from an easy TD and the game being over. And while the D did a great job in OT; they had just allowed Baltimore to drive 45 yards to give up the lead.

Devlin Hodges didn't have a drive over 45 yards in the game including the TD. So, the chances of him driving 75 yards for a TD is less than him having to move the team 40 yards for an attempted FG.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I didn't agree with the decision at the time (because I thought the D would be too tired), but I think Tomlin was right on it. Kick return game had sucked, and it puts the initial pressure in OT on your D, instead of on your rookie QB and the offense. I've been critical of MT, but I can't fault him for this one.

Backup

User Info Menu

less yards to march if we need a FG to win.

and our D got hit with a bogus roughing the passer call in that last drive.

all the what if’s don’t really matter at this point. What happened is our D came out and forced a 3 and out.

It worked as planned. Only problem was the offense that we wanted on the field first fumbled. Now imagine if we fumbled on our opening possession of OT or Hodges throws a pick 6?

So many what if’s.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Ya i dont think anyone is suggesting you win everytime. Hell, statistically its about 50/50 taking the ball, so i think a team has to look at the circumstances they are dealing with.
    <sarcasm>
    Anyone who doesn't call "heads" every single time is an idiot.

I've watched a lot of coin tosses and everyone always calls heads. It's how we've always done it and how it always should be done. Period.

You know why: because it works about half the time, that's why.

</sarcasm>
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-08-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Devlin Hodges didn't have a drive over 45 yards in the game including the TD. So, the chances of him driving 75 yards for a TD is less than him having to move the team 40 yards for an attempted FG.

Pappy
    And Tomlin pointed out that he felt the chances of him only having to go 75 yards were slim.

And if he gets a FG, Baltimore knows they have to use 4 downs outside of FG range. And maybe even inside of FG range since they were on the road and the game would be sudden death after each kicking a FG.

I think always take the ball was a great strategy before they changed the rules. It's still a good strategy if you have a good O.

Our O is very bad. And our D played very well. Kicking was a reasonable decision.

And even if you think it wasn't, it clearly was not the reason they lost.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158