Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deferring the kickoff is just

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I actually yelled WTF at the TV. Thought maybe it wasn't clearly explained to Heyward.
    After the game, Bill Cowher said, "it was actually a SMART decision", based on how the defense had shut them down, the wind at the one end of the field and having your 3rd string QB starting with a long field.

Knowing that Cowher has coached in that stadium, I admit that it actually swayed me a little.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    <sarcasm>
    Anyone who doesn't call "heads" every single time is an idiot.

I've watched a lot of coin tosses and everyone always calls heads. It's how we've always done it and how it always should be done. Period.

You know why: because it works about half the time, that's why.

</sarcasm>
    lies... it FAILS about half the time....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And Tomlin pointed out that he felt the chances of him only having to go 75 yards were slim.

And if he gets a FG, Baltimore knows they have to use 4 downs outside of FG range. And maybe even inside of FG range since they were on the road and the game would be sudden death after each kicking a FG.

I think always take the ball was a great strategy before they changed the rules. It's still a good strategy if you have a good O.

Our O is very bad. And our D played very well. Kicking was a reasonable decision.

And even if you think it wasn't, it clearly was not the reason they lost.
    in college OT both teams get the ball regardless if a TD is scored first since they start at the 25.

The winner of the coin flip usually defers because it gives them an advantage of knowing what they need to win or keep the game going.

while it isn’t exactly the same, when your D is much stronger than your O and you have a 3rd strong QB deferring isn’t as crazy as it initially sounds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hated the decision when they first did it. I thought it was nuts but the more I thought about it the more I liked it based on the circumstances we were in for this game. If you have your franchise QB leading the team it would be a stupid decision but if not it should be something for the coach to consider.

Legend

User Info Menu

...but the decision worked exactly as we wanted it to. We stopped the Ravens. We were driving down the field and then JuJu fumbled. It had nothing to do with the decision to defend

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...but the decision worked exactly as we wanted it to. We stopped the Ravens. We were driving down the field and then JuJu fumbled. It had nothing to do with the decision to defend
    Lol.... driving down the field?
    He fumbled our second play.
    The first play gained 3 yards.
    I thought I read were our 3rd string qb wasn't capable of driving down to score a TD and sucked because his longest drive was 42 yards. Now I find out that 2 plays that netted 12 yards was driving down the field and close to winning the game...... classic... lol

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    That guy in New England did the same thing once. Tomlin said it was based on his zero confidence in the return game. To his credit after Ravens punt we had the ball on the 35 so it worked out in this case but I did not like the decision either.
    That said if Washington offers a #1 I make that deal. MT gets a new start. We get a top prospect. The Rooneys get to make a smooth transition into a new coaching staff.
    I seem to remember Belicheat doing it once. Regardless of the coach, I still think it's a dumb move. I know what Tomlin was thinking but I still disagree with it. And from a field position standpoint, we didn't really gain much.

I could get behind the decision if the weather was absolutely terrible like a massive snowstorm or monsoon with heavy winds. A time like that when a TD is much less likely and you know a FG will win the game.

The weather, although not great on Sunday, wasn't bad enough to significantly reduce the threat of a TD.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I seem to remember Belicheat doing it once. Regardless of the coach, I still think it's a dumb move. I know what Tomlin was thinking but I still disagree with it. And from a field position standpoint, we didn't really gain much.

I could get behind the decision if the weather was absolutely terrible like a massive snowstorm or monsoon with heavy winds. A time like that when a TD is much less likely and you know a FG will win the game.

The weather, although not great on Sunday, wasn't bad enough to significantly reduce the threat of a TD.
    We did gain a lot of field position, we got the ball on like the 33 yard line, and we only had to get to like the 35 to be Boswell's range for the game winner. As opposed to probably taking it inside our own 25 and having to go 75+ for a td.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    We did gain a lot of field position, we got the ball on like the 33 yard line, and we only had to get to like the 35 to be Boswell's range for the game winner. As opposed to probably taking it inside our own 25 and having to go 75+ for a td.
    We started on the 31. A kick into the end zone starts us at the 25. So we would have gained 6 yards there.
    A good return could have resulted in a huge gain.
    We also didn't have to score a td. If we trusted the defense so much as to give them the chance to beat us, I'm sure you would still have the faith in them to make a stop or hold them to a fg.

Starter

User Info Menu

10 minute overtime. More than likely, 1 team will get 2 possessions and the other will get one.