Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Wants Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Franchise QB is the most important thing. I'd take a top 3 pick in a heart beat over any coach except BB. For him, I'd have to think about it.
    It's the unknown that makes this a very hard choice. A top 3 pick, even if a QB, doesn't guarantee he will be a franchise player. One thing I think is interesting is that rookie QBs are flashing much quicker than they used to in the past. Wondering if the changes in offense at the college level now have these QBs much more prepared for the NFL? In otherwords, is the pool of possible franchise QBs gradually growing? Maybe too soon to tell...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The rumors are false. The Redskins have no interest in Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's what I thought when I was first reading comments on here talking about how Tomlin was a "lame duck coach". I believe those posts were incorrect. That was pointed out at the time, but people still keep posting that (mis?)-information

Here's an article about his signing: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...burgh-steelers

That news was the official announcement that the team and head coach Mike Tomlin had agreed on a one-year contract extension through the 2021 season...This one-year extension (with a reported one-year team option in 2022) finally put to bed the speculation as to whether or not the team would be willing to give its head coach a new deal in light of the drama that has been omnipresent in recent years, as well as the failure to make the playoffs in 2018..

His previous contract went through the 2020 season. The new contract goes through the 2021 season, with an option for 2022.

It's possible that I'm numbering the seasons incorrectly. But, I believe that the current season is the 2019 season. So does Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_season

Assuming the article uses the same season numbering as Wikipedia, the "lame duck" narrative and the "prove it deal" narrative ring kind of hollow to me when we're presented with the facts of the extension.
    Thx, that’s good info!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's the unknown that makes this a very hard choice. A top 3 pick, even if a QB, doesn't guarantee he will be a franchise player. One thing I think is interesting is that rookie QBs are flashing much quicker than they used to in the past. Wondering if the changes in offense at the college level now have these QBs much more prepared for the NFL? In otherwords, is the pool of possible franchise QBs gradually growing? Maybe too soon to tell...
    I agree that it's hard to scout QBs (really any player, but especially QBs). Ryan Leaf was supposed to be awesome right, maybe better than P.Manning. Turns out he was terrible.

Well...I started typing that I don't think any team would trade a top 3 pick. And I don't think we have because there are at least a few teams trying to be terrible, but we don't exactly know. I think we'll end up with 5 - 8 wins (although 8 seems like a pretty high number now). I don't think that will be top 3 this year.

But I do think we'll have traded away a top 10 pick. Something more like a foundational OL, DT, or secondary player.

But we seem to have gotten a foundational secondary player as well, so I can probably live with that. Especially since he'll have an extra 2 years of experience when Ben comes back. And I think that we should be doing everything we can to maximize our chances of winning while Ben's still here.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

We’ll end up with 6 wins at the most.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We’ll end up with 6 wins at the most.
    Like we did with Cowher in 1999 and 2003. We followed those seasons with 9 wins and 15 wins respectively. I'll take the 15 wins

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Like we did with Cowher in 1999 and 2003. We followed those seasons with 9 wins and 15 wins respectively.
    And we followed that with a Super Bowl ring. I'll take the ring!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    What if MT wants to make the move? Ben is getting older. Tomlin's son plays for Maryland I believe. Lots of VIP's in that town. Politics in MT's future ?
    I sure hope that's true because no way does Rooney make this sort of move otherwise, he's more concerned with maintaining an image above all else. Isn't Tomlin from Viriginia too? I think once Ben retires Tomlin is hightailing it out of Pittsburgh anyways after squandering the second half of Ben's career away.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what I thought when I was first reading comments on here talking about how Tomlin was a "lame duck coach". I believe those posts were incorrect. That was pointed out at the time, but people still keep posting that (mis?)-information

Here's an article about his signing: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...burgh-steelers

That news was the official announcement that the team and head coach Mike Tomlin had agreed on a one-year contract extension through the 2021 season...This one-year extension (with a reported one-year team option in 2022) finally put to bed the speculation as to whether or not the team would be willing to give its head coach a new deal in light of the drama that has been omnipresent in recent years, as well as the failure to make the playoffs in 2018..

His previous contract went through the 2020 season. The new contract goes through the 2021 season, with an option for 2022.

It's possible that I'm numbering the seasons incorrectly. But, I believe that the current season is the 2019 season. So does Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_season

Assuming the article uses the same season numbering as Wikipedia, the "lame duck" narrative and the "prove it deal" narrative ring kind of hollow to me when we're presented with the facts of the extension.
    There you go peeing in all the Tomlin hater's Wheaties by pointing out the fact that Rooney's secured Tomlin's service for 2 more years at least and potentially 3 years. Facts suck

Like I said previously, the 15 year tenure mark is when I would expect the Rooneys to be looking to make a change. Guess what, the current contract takes Tomlin to 15 years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGRedDog View Post
    I sure hope that's true because no way does Rooney make this sort of move otherwise, he's more concerned with maintaining an image above all else. Isn't Tomlin from Viriginia too? I think once Ben retires Tomlin is hightailing it out of Pittsburgh anyways after squandering the second half of Ben's career away.
    Someone on here once blamed Tomlin for not coaching Ben on how to throw less turnovers.

Ben has admitted he doesn’t throw in the off-season. He doesn’t sit with the OC or WR’s during games and game plan. He just watches the game.

It’s amazing how Ben is seen as this guy who is being wasted when he has never had SB appearances without a top 5 defense.

Maybe part of the reasons we aren’t in SB’s is because Ben eats up too much cap space?