Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Wants Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

I also think it's pretty clear that he doesn't want to, since he just offered a contract that has him as coach for at least this season and 2 more (with an option for a 3rd).

So, I think we have pretty clear answers to both of these questions. I think it's just that there is a subset of posters who strongly wish that the answers were different.
    regarding the first statement above - I might be wrong, but I thought this was Tomlin's last year and he was given a one year extension through the 2020 season. If that's true, I'm not sure that speaks to the confidence you believe Rooney has with Tomlin.

As to your second - that's entirely possible. I don't think the answers to my questions are clear at all - but I freely admit I'm hoping Rooney is not dismissing this outright.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ....maybe team altering. Players come and go from year to year, team makeup changes. Rooney's vision is probably much higher at the franchise level than a trade in a particular year. Culture, stability, loyalty. Those are franchise precepts. Canning or trading a top coach you just extended doesn't seem to fit these. Remember, he didn't force Cowher out, it was Cowher's decision to move on. Now,.... Chuck Noll, I'm not sure how that went down behind the scenes.... memory is getting a little murky that long ago.
    Go ask all the owners if they'd rather have a franchise QB or a great head coach for the next 15 years. I'd bet my life at least 30 opt for the QB

Culture, stability, and loyalty? I guess, in regards to coaches. Although I also now suspect a large degree of political correctness

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    No thanks on the QB or WR - the next great Pass Rusher please.

Then use our 2nd round pick (pick #3 on the next Heath Miller
    You must be young and not around for the 25 years of QB nightmare between Bradshaw and Ben. Anyone that lived through the Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, Kent Graham years knows how important a franchise QB is.

That being said, i'm not sure Tua or any of the other QBs next year fit that bill

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Probably about as likely as me filling in for James Washington this weekend.
    What is youtr 40 time?

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What if MT wants to make the move? Ben is getting older. Tomlin's son plays for Maryland I believe. Lots of VIP's in that town. Politics in MT's future ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    What if MT wants to make the move? Ben is getting older. Tomlin's son plays for Maryland I believe. Lots of VIP's in that town. Politics in MT's future ?
    In this case, I would think Rooney would entertain the idea of letting him go. Also, regarding Tomlin's extension, maybe it was Tomlin's choice for the term?? Knowing the end of Roethlisberger's career is near maybe Tomlin wanted the option to move on?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In this case, I would think Rooney would entertain the idea of letting him go. Also, regarding Tomlin's extension, maybe it was Tomlin's choice for the term?? Knowing the end of Roethlisberger's career is near maybe Tomlin wanted the option to move on?
    that's an interesting notion. I can't for the life of me imagine a HC asking for a short-term contract. But then I also didn't expect to defer in OT to the rats. So there's that.........
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    regarding the first statement above - I might be wrong, but I thought this was Tomlin's last year and he was given a one year extension through the 2020 season. If that's true, I'm not sure that speaks to the confidence you believe Rooney has with Tomlin.

As to your second - that's entirely possible. I don't think the answers to my questions are clear at all - but I freely admit I'm hoping Rooney is not dismissing this outright.
    That's what I thought when I was first reading comments on here talking about how Tomlin was a "lame duck coach". I believe those posts were incorrect. That was pointed out at the time, but people still keep posting that (mis?)-information

Here's an article about his signing: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...burgh-steelers

That news was the official announcement that the team and head coach Mike Tomlin had agreed on a one-year contract extension through the 2021 season...This one-year extension (with a reported one-year team option in 2022) finally put to bed the speculation as to whether or not the team would be willing to give its head coach a new deal in light of the drama that has been omnipresent in recent years, as well as the failure to make the playoffs in 2018..

His previous contract went through the 2020 season. The new contract goes through the 2021 season, with an option for 2022.

It's possible that I'm numbering the seasons incorrectly. But, I believe that the current season is the 2019 season. So does Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_season

Assuming the article uses the same season numbering as Wikipedia, the "lame duck" narrative and the "prove it deal" narrative ring kind of hollow to me when we're presented with the facts of the extension.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-09-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Go ask all the owners if they'd rather have a franchise QB or a great head coach for the next 15 years. I'd bet my life at least 30 opt for the QB

Culture, stability, and loyalty? I guess, in regards to coaches. Although I also now suspect a large degree of political correctness
    Franchise QB is the most important thing. I'd take a top 3 pick in a heart beat over any coach except BB. For him, I'd have to think about it.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    This is why I think it's interesting that I haven't seen a definitive report on who's option it is for 2022. The link I posted said it was reported that it was the Steelers option (which I think makes sense). But, I thought I traced the source when the contract was announced and it was "assumed" that it was the Steelers option. Maybe more details came out after though.