Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hodges Is The Man

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    he took chances (one very bad one that should have been an INT), he's on the short side, throws from multiple angles because of his height and seems to be fearless.
    All that stuff isn't necessarily a bad thing...

(and no - he isn't these guys, but, ya can't lump a guy in a box because he doesn't fit the norm)...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    All that stuff isn't necessarily a bad thing...

(and no - he isn't these guys, but, ya can't lump a guy in a box because he doesn't fit the norm)...
    I wasn't pointing them out as bad things, I was making the point that the Ravens were completely unprepared for Hodges at quarterback and that is part of the reason he had success. He is a vastly different quarterback than Mason Rudolph, that was my point, not that those are bad traits.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He surprised the Ratbirds, they had no idea what to expect with him. Once the NFL gets you on tape and game plans for you, things get tougher. I'll reserve judgement on Duck until he at least makes a start.

Legend

User Info Menu

He didn't look like a 4th string QB that's for sure. But two things make me hesitate to anoint him as Roethlisberger's heir apparent. 1) BAL pass defense is near the bottom of the league, 2) sustainability. Really tough when teams find your weakness and exploit it defensively. Still, he's got some positives; really like his movement in and out of the pocket. Kept eyes downfield and seems to make good decisions.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like everything I'm reading ('cept for the small hands):

Strengths
    Four-year starter
    Team captain for four years
    Has a strong arm
    Can fit the ball into a tight window
    Gets good velocity on his throws
    Throws well on the run
    Quick release
    Excellent touch on his throws
    Uses pump fakes well
    Accurate passer in the short/intermediate areas
    Can throw from different angles and platforms
    Heart and soul of the team
    Displays scrambling ability when needed
    Pocket passer
    Impressive improvisational skills
    Excels under duress and keep those eyes downfield
    Very good pocket awareness
    Has played well against top competition
    Confident, gunslinger mentality

Weaknesses
    Undersized QB
    Small hands (8 ¾ size)
    Ball placement on short throws isn’t ideal
    Sidearm delivery (awkward motion)
    His passes get batted down at the line
    Needs to work on his drops (took snaps out of the shotgun formation in college)
    Has to improve his decision making, will force throws into coverage
    Other Notes
    Holds FCS records for passing yards, completions and attempts
    SoCon Offensive Player of the Year for three years in a row
    Walter Payton Award winner as a senior
    His nickname is the “Duck”
    Overview
    Hodges is a signal caller that hasn’t received much attention during the draft process. His size, small hands and sidearm delivery will cause some concern. However, he is an accurate QB with a strong arm and a quick release. He broke Steve McNair’s FCS record for passing yards. He will be an undrafted free agent, but he has the tools and the mental makeup to become a backup QB in the NFL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I like everything I'm reading ('cept for the small hands):
    MR has similarly small hands. But I think DH might have the smallest of all starting QBs.

How much does that matter? I dunno.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Agreed. Plus poor offensive calls. If they would have not let him throw deep and have him run it himself more, it wouldn't have been close.
    When you only have two QBs active and the starter has been literally and figuratively knocked out, you can't have the backup QB running the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    MR has similarly small hands. But I think DH might have the smallest of all starting QBs.

I don't know if it matters for Hodges but I remember it mattered for Mike Tomczac. He had small hands and when the weather turned bad he was horrible. In good weather he was an okay QB.

I don't know whether the "Duck" is going to turn out to be our next coming of BR but he passed the first test. He could have many more tests to go and hopefully he passes them all with flying colors. In today's NFL it only takes one bad grade for a guy with Devlin's pedigree.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Paxton Lynch’s hands are 10 1/4 inches so if a game situation calls for a pair of big hands we can just line PL up behind center.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Donald Trump has big hands ..... Little Marco not so much. Isn't that how it played out during the campaign.... lol.

I'm not trying to bring politics into this discussion. I hate politics but this is what the hand size discussion reminds me of.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.