Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodges Is The Man

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    College numbers are ridiculous....albeit small school.

Last year Hodges lit up Florida State for 475 yards in a near upset so he can definitely sling the football around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Yet Dobbs was kept over him.
    Dobbs had trade value. Then we brought the kid back.
    Nobody was primed to steal him.

We have a new tight end PLUS Hodges because we did that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Last year Hodges lit up Florida State for 475 yards in a near upset so he can definitely sling the football around.
    He has played Auburn and Georgia....bunch of top schools. Not just scrubs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    While many don like Ben he is a HOF QB not Tommy Gun being replaced by a rookie. I give Ben every opportunity to come back and be the starter. But any bump or bruise he can sit out with a capable back up waiting and learning.
    I am not sure Ben will even play out his contract. He might get injured more often now. And I don't think he can bounce right back any more. That's if he can come back 100%. He is said to not be the hardest worker in the off season. But sitting out a year might reinvigorate him to come back his best in years.
    If the D looked bad, I'd say try to trade Ben and speed up the rebuild.

But I think the D is going to be good this year and next....so crazy to type that.

If that's the case, keep Ben and see if he can go out like P Manning.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    If the D looked bad, I'd say try to trade Ben and speed up the rebuild.

But I think the D is going to be good this year and next....so crazy to type that.

If that's the case, keep Ben and see if he can go out like P Manning.
    I do wonder if there is a trade clause in his contract. Can't see him being ok with a trade to say the Buc's even being with BA and others being there. He could just retire. And who gambles on that trade with BR coming off surgery? Could he even be worth a 1st rd pick at this point? I see pro's and con's to trading him.
    In the end treat it like PM in Denver. See if BR can get 1 or 2 at the end of his career with this defense looking good! Ben would have scored a TD on 50% of the TO this season. So the Season looks a lot different then.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Jackson’s team won but he personally is not a good qb. When he’s not playing bottom feeder teams, he’s not good.
    You are wrong about Jackson. Always have been.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    One scouting report that focused on his play versus measurements.

QB Devlin Hodges
    Samford
    DRAFT CLASS: 2019

NEED TO KNOW:
    IS HE MOBILE? Average.
    DOES HE HAVE POCKET AWARENESS? Yes.
    IS HE ACCURATE? Very.
    WHAT KIND OF RELEASE? ¾ but varies as needed.
    ARM STRENGTH? Just-above-average.
    FOOTWORK? Solid.
    CAN HE READ A DEFENSE? Yes.
    CAN HE MAKE THE PRO THROWS? Yes, but best inside.

FLASH SCOUTING REPORT:
    Devlin Hodges broke FCS/I-AA passing records of Alcorn St. Steve McNair for career… measures just under 6’1… sturdy, compact build… very smart, alert and creative passer… sets up quickly with well-balanced passing platform… high ball carriage always ready to throw… shows awareness in the pocket but calm, cool under pressure… excellent short-stride, shoulder torque and rapid release… the ball is coming out with Hodges… displays overall average velocity but zippy from mid-range-in… plays with an effective school-yard style… whatever it takes to complete the pass… varies release points as needed… though high-energy, Hodges is poised in live action… clearly trusts his eyes, intuition and his receivers… Hodges’ vision and anticipation was far ahead of his receivers… he’s throwing where they are supposed to be… lets it rip before receivers break; at times that’s a turn-over… very decisive and quick in his progressions… gets out of the pocket smartly but always looking for the throw… rarely gives up on a play… receivers were short on speed, size and elite skills yet Hodges racked up record numbers… completion %, YPA and TDs match what he shows on film… with Hodges at QB, all potential receivers must stay “hot” as the ball is coming… Devlin Hodges is a savvy, aggressive and productive passer that can be a capable starter in the NFL… he can make most pro throws, but his sideline rips tend to float some… he’s best between the numbers.
    Sounds like Pat Mahomes

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    By no means am I saying he's got no work to do, but I'm not 100% sure MR > DH???

I think the team performed better with Hodges in the game. His drives were more productive. In regulation we scored a TD, FG, and had 1 Punt with Devlin, but even on the drive with a punt, we moved the ball far enough to flip the field. Plus TOP once Devlin came in was about even in a game where the Ravens had about a 14 min edge.

MR had one successful series that lead to a TD to Juju. We had 3 punts after drives that did essentially nothing. We scored 2 FGs when our D got turnovers in the RedZone at the Baltimore 7 and 19. MR had 1 successful drive out of 6 chances.

I know it's a small sample size, but DH had 7.6 YPA vs MR having 6.6. MR was a little better last week, but he's still at 6.9 YPA for the year. And let's remember, MR has a year under his belt with the team. He hasn't been cut. The team has said they had him rated as a 1st rounder.

DH on the other hand was cut, sent home, then brought back and put on the roster after Ben's injury. And he came in the game looking a lot more confident than MR looks to me. Even comparing their interviews after their first games, MR was all about he need more time to prep, he's a hard worker, yada, yada. DH says he was ready to come in and do what he needed to do. He wasn't nervous. He knew the plays. They didn't have to scale anything back for him.

The main difference between the 2 is one is 6'5 and the other is barely 6'. But imho, DH has it. He's got this uncanny confidence. Even though he was undrafted, he doesn't seemed fazed by anything. To him it's just football and I think he believes he can play football.

I also think DH either had a stronger arm than MR or makes decisions quicker because he doesn't seem to shy away from guys that might not be open by 2 yards before he throws. He just seems to me to have a level of confidence in himself the way that Ben does. Minus the size and big arm. MR seems a little slower, a little more reserved, and just overall a little more cautious in the way he plays.

And I'm not down on MR. I think he's progressed nicely in a years' time. But let's see what everyone thinks when DH has a huge game next week and brings home a victory. Hopefully
    Don't forget that the Ravens were completely unprepared for Hodges and that makes a difference as well. I have seen many games where the starter is injured and a backup comes in and plays well in relief but when the next opponent gets a chance to prepare the results are a bit different. Hodges was a complete unknown and is a very different QB than Mason as we saw, he took chances (one very bad one that should have been an INT), he's on the short side, throws from multiple angles because of his height and seems to be fearless.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Administrator

User Info Menu

People have a very short memory. Hodges also looked decent one of the preseason games and everyone thought he was the second coming of Tom Brady.

Then, reality hit and be looked like a #4 QB... Like he was.

Rudolph was the better prospect and still is the better prospect as a future starting QB in this league. Maybe, Hodges will surpass him but at this moment, he's not close.

And stop with the Ben trade talk. The Steelers would never do that nor would Ben allow it. He would retire.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You are wrong about Jackson. Always have been.
    what about the guy here who actually watched every college game of his? (yes, that's me)

The correct answer is somewhere between your opinions... I've said from the start, Mike Vick 2.0. Electric player with a cannon for an arm - streaky with accuracy. He'll win games for ya. He'll lose games for ya. I also said "coach killer" 2.0, but, I'm giving the Ravens staff credit for doing a better job that what Atlanta did with Vick.

In any event, if you thought Vick was a capable QB, then Lamar's better (because unlike Vick, he'll get in the playbook as best he can; you'll never mistake his IQ for a Peyton Manning, tho).

Never wanted him as OUR guy because of the streakiness. Also don't want to face him because of his athleticism. AFCN is the worst place he could've landed as a Louisville alum who's a Steelers fan.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!