Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodges Is The Man

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    By no means am I saying he's got no work to do, but I'm not 100% sure MR > DH???

I think the team performed better with Hodges in the game. His drives were more productive. In regulation we scored a TD, FG, and had 1 Punt with Devlin, but even on the drive with a punt, we moved the ball far enough to flip the field. Plus TOP once Devlin came in was about even in a game where the Ravens had about a 14 min edge.

MR had one successful series that lead to a TD to Juju. We had 3 punts after drives that did essentially nothing. We scored 2 FGs when our D got turnovers in the RedZone at the Baltimore 7 and 19. MR had 1 successful drive out of 6 chances.

I know it's a small sample size, but DH had 7.6 YPA vs MR having 6.6. MR was a little better last week, but he's still at 6.9 YPA for the year. And let's remember, MR has a year under his belt with the team. He hasn't been cut. The team has said they had him rated as a 1st rounder.

DH on the other hand was cut, sent home, then brought back and put on the roster after Ben's injury. And he came in the game looking a lot more confident than MR looks to me. Even comparing their interviews after their first games, MR was all about he need more time to prep, he's a hard worker, yada, yada. DH says he was ready to come in and do what he needed to do. He wasn't nervous. He knew the plays. They didn't have to scale anything back for him.

The main difference between the 2 is one is 6'5 and the other is barely 6'. But imho, DH has it. He's got this uncanny confidence. Even though he was undrafted, he doesn't seemed fazed by anything. To him it's just football and I think he believes he can play football.
    - Undrafted free agent
    -Too short for the position
    -Small school
    -Cut and brought back
    -Impresses as a backup versus a division opponent as the first glimpse of being a special player

Could lightning strike twice?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think this is what he has to do to make a case for himself.

Although, I think he could throw a pick or 2 taking some chances.
    To me, DH is a bit more of a risk taker. It opens up space for the run a little more, which i like. But, I fear that he's also more likely to toss it to the guys in the other unis.

MR, not only is HE conservative, but, they seemed to have been uber conservative with him, easing him into the situation, thus the Wildcat.

For the record, the FG drive that Hodges led, i was a little annoyed how conservative they were - they were content to take the FG and go up 3 and trust the defense (which has become pretty fkn good)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    - Undrafted free agent
    -Small school
    -Cut and brought back
    -Impresses as a backup versus a division opponent as the first glimpse of being a special player

deeeeeeboooooooooo
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Fortunately we play the Chargers next, and in prime time too. We will be 2-4 going into the bye. We will come out the other side healthy and ready to role.
    Love your optimism but I don't think we are in a position to just chalk up a win like that. I don't know if we are going to win or not. Chargers have fallen on hard times as well and they will be desperate for a victory as well.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

- Undrafted free agent
    -Small school
    -Cut and brought back

We can hope; but for argument sake, let's say he does pan out. What would we do next year with Ben? Yeah, it would be a pleasant problem, but a problem nonetheless.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

One scouting report that focused on his play versus measurements.

QB Devlin Hodges
    Samford
    DRAFT CLASS: 2019

NEED TO KNOW:
    IS HE MOBILE? Average.
    DOES HE HAVE POCKET AWARENESS? Yes.
    IS HE ACCURATE? Very.
    WHAT KIND OF RELEASE? but varies as needed.
    ARM STRENGTH? Just-above-average.
    FOOTWORK? Solid.
    CAN HE READ A DEFENSE? Yes.
    CAN HE MAKE THE PRO THROWS? Yes, but best inside.

FLASH SCOUTING REPORT:
    Devlin Hodges broke FCS/I-AA passing records of Alcorn St. Steve McNair for career… measures just under 6’1… sturdy, compact build… very smart, alert and creative passer… sets up quickly with well-balanced passing platform… high ball carriage always ready to throw… shows awareness in the pocket but calm, cool under pressure… excellent short-stride, shoulder torque and rapid release… the ball is coming out with Hodges… displays overall average velocity but zippy from mid-range-in… plays with an effective school-yard style… whatever it takes to complete the pass… varies release points as needed… though high-energy, Hodges is poised in live action… clearly trusts his eyes, intuition and his receivers… Hodges’ vision and anticipation was far ahead of his receivers… he’s throwing where they are supposed to be… lets it rip before receivers break; at times that’s a turn-over… very decisive and quick in his progressions… gets out of the pocket smartly but always looking for the throw… rarely gives up on a play… receivers were short on speed, size and elite skills yet Hodges racked up record numbers… completion %, YPA and TDs match what he shows on film… with Hodges at QB, all potential receivers must stay “hot” as the ball is coming… Devlin Hodges is a savvy, aggressive and productive passer that can be a capable starter in the NFL… he can make most pro throws, but his sideline rips tend to float some… he’s best between the numbers.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-07-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

College numbers are ridiculous....albeit small school.

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We can hope; but for argument sake, let's say he does pan out. What would we do next year with Ben? Yeah, it would be a pleasant problem, but a problem nonetheless.
    While many don like Ben he is a HOF QB not Tommy Gun being replaced by a rookie. I give Ben every opportunity to come back and be the starter. But any bump or bruise he can sit out with a capable back up waiting and learning.
    I am not sure Ben will even play out his contract. He might get injured more often now. And I don't think he can bounce right back any more. That's if he can come back 100%. He is said to not be the hardest worker in the off season. But sitting out a year might reinvigorate him to come back his best in years.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    You cut a UDFA and nobody thinks twice.
    They think twice if they see a player with a lot of potential in the preseason.

Ask the Giants and Tuzar Skipper.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

College numbers are ridiculous....albeit small school.

Looks good but I remember a stat that the best seasons for a Possible SB is 8+ YPA stat. Would have to look that up to be sure.