Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodges Is The Man

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think we gotta consider Hodges could be better than Mason. He was pretty good at pushing the ball down the field. Fearless in pushing it down the field.
    Hodges was solid at camp and he sees the field okay. He is not as good as MR. That late throw down the middle across his body was a classic example of a guy who needs more reps n that's okay. Both these qb's will get better but seeing MR every day at camp he is just that much more polished (looking off coverage for example). Shame he took a head shot like that. We got the Charger game then the bye week. Perhaps he only misses one game.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Jackson’s team won but he personally is not a good qb. When he’s not playing bottom feeder teams, he’s not good.
    Agreed. Plus poor offensive calls. If they would have not let him throw deep and have him run it himself more, it wouldn't have been close.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe Hodges takes more chances than Rudolph?

Starter

User Info Menu

Fortunately we play the Chargers next, and in prime time too. We will be 2-4 going into the bye. We will come out the other side healthy and ready to role.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Hodges was solid at camp and he sees the field okay. He is not as good as MR. That late throw down the middle across his body was a classic example of a guy who needs more reps n that's okay. Both these qb's will get better but seeing MR every day at camp he is just that much more polished (looking off coverage for example). Shame he took a head shot like that. We got the Charger game then the bye week. Perhaps he only misses one game.
    By no means am I saying he's got no work to do, but I'm not 100% sure MR > DH???

I think the team performed better with Hodges in the game. His drives were more productive. In regulation we scored a TD, FG, and had 1 Punt with Devlin, but even on the drive with a punt, we moved the ball far enough to flip the field. Plus TOP once Devlin came in was about even in a game where the Ravens had about a 14 min edge.

MR had one successful series that lead to a TD to Juju. We had 3 punts after drives that did essentially nothing. We scored 2 FGs when our D got turnovers in the RedZone at the Baltimore 7 and 19. MR had 1 successful drive out of 6 chances.

I know it's a small sample size, but DH had 7.6 YPA vs MR having 6.6. MR was a little better last week, but he's still at 6.9 YPA for the year. And let's remember, MR has a year under his belt with the team. He hasn't been cut. The team has said they had him rated as a 1st rounder.

DH on the other hand was cut, sent home, then brought back and put on the roster after Ben's injury. And he came in the game looking a lot more confident than MR looks to me. Even comparing their interviews after their first games, MR was all about he need more time to prep, he's a hard worker, yada, yada. DH says he was ready to come in and do what he needed to do. He wasn't nervous. He knew the plays. They didn't have to scale anything back for him.

The main difference between the 2 is one is 6'5 and the other is barely 6'. But imho, DH has it. He's got this uncanny confidence. Even though he was undrafted, he doesn't seemed fazed by anything. To him it's just football and I think he believes he can play football.

I also think DH either had a stronger arm than MR or makes decisions quicker because he doesn't seem to shy away from guys that might not be open by 2 yards before he throws. He just seems to me to have a level of confidence in himself the way that Ben does. Minus the size and big arm. MR seems a little slower, a little more reserved, and just overall a little more cautious in the way he plays.

And I'm not down on MR. I think he's progressed nicely in a years' time. But let's see what everyone thinks when DH has a huge game next week and brings home a victory. Hopefully

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with everything you wrote Flippy. That's how it looked to me too.

We have a very small sample size to go with but Hodges certainly looks the part. I'd have to guess he'll get another shot to prove himself Sunday night.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What if Hodges lights it up against the Chargers? Like 350+ yards, 3 TDs, no INTs and a big win. Is there any chance he could take the number 1 spot?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    What if Hodges lights it up against the Chargers? Like 350+ yards, 3 TDs, no INTs and a big win. Is there any chance he could take the number 1 spot?
    I think this is what he has to do to make a case for himself.

Although, I think he could throw a pick or 2 taking some chances.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think MR > DH and I don't think it's close.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Yet Dobbs was kept over him.
    He beat out Dobbs in camp and we all knew that.
    HOWEVER, if you cut Dobbs, he'll be picked up. You cut a UDFA and nobody thinks twice.

In this case, it was a SMART move by the FO because we knew we could trade Dobbs... and immediately did.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!