Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs Ratbirds - game day

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    No kidding...lol
    Tomlin and his fans had more faith in a defense that just allowed the Ravens to match down the field to kick a game tying fg to go into overtime than take the ball.
    If you had so much faith in the defense to give them the ball, why no confidence that they could stop them if we had to punt?
    Hell, if time permitted, the Ravens probably would have scored a TD their last drive.
    It just doesn't seem like you understand probability.

The arguements I've heard are
    1) maybe you return it for a TD (despite the fact that we were routinely getting KRs to like the 15); and
    2) Maybe you drive the field for a TD (despite the fact that we were then playing a UDFA QB with 2 quarters of experience in the NFL)

Those seems like really low probability outcomes to me because the KR and O suck.

The D on the other hand was playing very well and putting up turnovers. There was a pretty good chance that we stop them and get OK field position or get a turnover in or close to FG range.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No kidding...lol
    Tomlin and his fans had more faith in a defense that just allowed the Ravens to match down the field to kick a game tying fg to go into overtime than take the ball.
    If you had so much faith in the defense to give them the ball, why no confidence that they could stop them if we had to punt?
    Hell, if time permitted, the Ravens probably would have scored a TD their last drive.
    Because they would only need to go a short distance to kick a field goal with best kicker in the game. Your playing for field position, you want to put your struggling QB on a short field with a field goal to win it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

1) maybe you return it for a TD (despite the fact that we were routinely getting KRs to like the 15); and
    2) Maybe you drive the field for a TD (despite the fact that we were then playing a UDFA QB with 2 quarters of experience in the NFL)

Those seems like really low probability outcomes to me because the KR and O suck.

The D on the other hand was playing very well and putting up turnovers. There was a pretty good chance that we stop them and get OK field position or get a turnover in or close to FG range.
    Probability?.... Ok. Teams that receive the kickoff in overtime win 55% of the time.
    Did you not just see the Ravens on their last position march down the field?

Legend

User Info Menu

Your infatuation with Tomlin doesn't allow you to see the logic in receiving the kick, obviously.
    You get memorized by his gibberish.
    I'm not infatuated with Tomlin in the least but I can look at this set of facts and see that the better (IMO) of two good options was made based on situation at hand. Just because you're incapable of seeing past your hatred of Tomlin and I don't agree with your assessment of Tomlin doesn't mean that I'm infatuated with him. Feel free to dig up my posts where I'm infatuated with Tomlin to the point that you hate him.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Probability?.... Ok. Teams that receive the kickoff in overtime win 55% of the time.
    Did you not just see the Ravens on their last position march down the field?
    They didn't march anywhere, they got a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty and kicked a 48 yard field goal, please don't act like they were moving the ball on defense, our defense was shutting them down all day and they were keeping them out of the end zone. What hell makes you think they were going to drive down our defense and get a TD?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yes... and skip the 'because 99% of coaches would do it' because 99% of coaches don't have the record the Steelers' HC has.
    you play to win the game, as Herm Edwards said.

Our offense was doing fine with Hodges. Our defense just surrendered a game tying FG to end regulation.

If we received, we start at the 15-25 yard line. Where did we start after the punt? The 35? We still had to go 40 yards to kick the FG, so with either decision, barring a turnover, the offense still had to put a drive together to win it. You can't have it both ways. And if your special teams are that horrible that you can't return a kick past the 25, then fire the ST coach and get a legit returner

And enough with Tomlins regular season record. Nobody cares

Legend

User Info Menu

You have the first chance to score a TD and win.
    That should be obvious. It is to all the other HCs in the league.
    Since all the other head coaches in the league weren't playing an overtime with game with their 4th string quarterback, you can't say that the other coaches would have taken the ball. For the record, when Heyward opted to defend I was livid and as the OT unfolded I saw the reason for the decision. As I mentioned, either is an option in that situation, I think the better option was taken. If Ben or even Rudolph is in the game, I take the ball and try to win with a TD, not in this situation.

And, if you had to apply a percentage of being successful to that opportunity what would it be? Would it be higher or lower than the route Tomlin took? It's your opinion, you can say that you believe there's a greater chance that Devlin Hodges moves the Steelers 75 yards and scores a TD than there is in Devlin Hodges moving the Steelers 39 yards for a FG attempt by Boswell.

Pappy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Or, they get a FG and our offense then has 4 downs to make 10 yards until they are in FG range or score a TD and win. The only way kicking is a losing proposition is if the Ravens score a TD and Lamar Jackson wasn't playing well in the 2nd half. I liked our chances and Juju not coughed it up the Steelers were a a play or two away from FG range.

Pappy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    They didn't march anywhere, they got a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty and kicked a 48 yard field goal, please don't act like they were moving the ball on defense, our defense was shutting them down all day and they were keeping them out of the end zone. What hell makes you think they were going to drive down our defense and get a TD?
    Nothing, he hates Tomlin that much

Pappy

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Since all the other head coaches in the league weren't playing an overtime with game with their 4th string quarterback, you can't say that the other coaches would have taken the ball. For the record, when Heyward opted to defend I was livid and as the OT unfolded I saw the reason for the decision. As I mentioned, either is an option in that situation, I think the better option was taken. If Ben or even Rudolph is in the game, I take the ball and try to win with a TD, not in this situation.

And, if you had to apply a percentage of being successful to that opportunity what would it be? Would it be higher or lower than the route Tomlin took? It's your opinion, you can say that you believe there's a greater chance that Devlin Hodges moves the Steelers 75 yards and scores a TD than there is in Devlin Hodges moving the Steelers 39 yards for a FG attempt by Boswell.

Pappy
    Why can't Hodges just move them for the field goal and then have the defense make a stop?
    Why is every defense of Tomlin use, 'the odds of the Steelers driving 85 yards for the win'?