Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 111

Thread: Steelers vs Ratbirds - game day

  1. #71
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    If it's such an advantage how come nobody ever does it?
    Really, you don't see how this situation is different than the other 98% of the time when the team that wins the toss takes the ball? If you don't see te difference there is no reason to try and explain it. But, try and view the decision by aligning the facts about the situation rather than a hatred of the head coach and there is a possibility that you will at least see the logic in the decision.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

  2. #72
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    What if the facts disagree with your preconceived notions?
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  3. #73
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Really, you don't see how this situation is different than the other 98% of the time when the team that wins the toss takes the ball? If you don't see te difference there is no reason to try and explain it. But, try and view the decision by aligning the facts about the situation rather than a hatred of the head coach and there is a possibility that you will at least see the logic in the decision.

    Pappy
    Your infatuation with Tomlin doesn't allow you to see the logic in receiving the kick, obviously.
    You get memorized by his gibberish.

  4. #74
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    What if the facts disagree with your preconceived notions?
    And those are?

    I'm giving the logic behind the decision. Since, only one side of the debate played out there is no way t know the "facts" as you say for the option to take the football.

    What we know
    The defense played well yesterday particularly in the 2nd half
    The offense was being led by our 3rd string quarterback with no actual game experience and he did good
    The Steeler special teams are poor, particularly the return units
    The Raven's offense (the #1 offense in yards per game) was not marching up and down the field.
    Boswell is 8/8 on FGs this year so far
    If you take the ball, you need a TD to win the game or the other team gets a shot at it
    If you defer the only way you lose is to concede a TD

    So, that's what I see as the facts. The Steelers made the decision that they would have a better chance of moving the ball less yards for a game winning FG than driving 75 yards (in all likelihood) for a TD to win the game. If there are "facts" or circumstances that I missed let me know. I don't see it as a bad decision. I also wouldn't see taking the ball as a bad decision either, but I believe that the best decision was made, without Ben or even Mason in the game.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

  5. #75
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    And those are?

    I'm giving the logic behind the decision. Since, only one side of the debate played out there is no way t know the "facts" as you say for the option to take the football.

    What we know
    The defense played well yesterday particularly in the 2nd half
    The offense was being led by our 3rd string quarterback with no actual game experience and he did good
    The Steeler special teams are poor, particularly the return units
    The Raven's offense (the #1 offense in yards per game) was not marching up and down the field.
    Boswell is 8/8 on FGs this year so far
    If you take the ball, you need a TD to win the game or the other team gets a shot at it
    If you defer the only way you lose is to concede a TD

    So, that's what I see as the facts. The Steelers made the decision that they would have a better chance of moving the ball less yards for a game winning FG than driving 75 yards (in all likelihood) for a TD to win the game. If there are "facts" or circumstances that I missed let me know. I don't see it as a bad decision. I also wouldn't see taking the ball as a bad decision either, but I believe that the best decision was made, without Ben or even Mason in the game.

    Pappy
    I'm agreeing with you. Maybe I should have added a smiley face

    Folks on the other side are saying something like "every decision Tomlin makes is wrong, so this decision is also wrong despite the evidence that people like Papillion are pointing out".

    I also agree that taking the ball would have been reasonable. Like the flag thing they hated last week, both decisions could be reasonably made either way.

    And if Tomlin made the opposite decisions, I think you'd still say either decision would have been reasonable. And they'd say taking the ball with your 3rd string QB and terrible returns all day was the most idiotic thing any coach could ever do.

    They've publically avowed that Tomlin is terrible and all his decisions are stupid. I think it's really unlikely that they'll come in and say "I really like that call he made"
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-07-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  6. #76
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm agreeing with you. Maybe I should have added a smiley face

    Folks on the other side are saying something like "every decision Tomlin makes is wrong, so this decision is also wrong despite the evidence that people like Papillion are pointing out".

    I also agree that taking the ball would have been reasonable. Like the flag thing they hated last week, both decisions could be reasonably made either way.

    And if Tomlin made the opposite decisions, I think you'd still say either decision would have been reasonable. And they'd say taking the ball with your 3rd string QB and terrible returns all day was the most idiotic thing any coach could ever do.

    They've publically avowed that Tomlin is terrible and all his decisions are stupid. I think it's really unlikely that they'll come in and say "I really like that call he made"
    I'd actually like the 'other side ' to spell out the opposing decision. That way some of us can poke holes in their theory.

  7. #77
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'd actually like the 'other side ' to spell out the opposing decision. That way some of us can poke holes in their theory.
    This would also be useful IMO
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  8. #78
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'd actually like the 'other side ' to spell out the opposing decision. That way some of us can poke holes in their theory.
    You have the first chance to score a TD and win.
    That should be obvious. It is to all the other HCs in the league.

  9. #79
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    someone was banned for saying mental aptitude?

    Talk about sensitive.
    We'll, we know how strongly the powers that be feel about the code of conduct (the revised one of course, not the original one)
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  10. #80
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    You have the first chance to score a TD and win.
    That should be obvious. It is to all the other HCs in the league.
    Key word 'chance'. The Steelers had 12 drives in the game; two resulted in TDs, 3 resulted in FGs. The Ravens had 12 drives, 3 resulted in TOs, 3 resulted in punts. I like the odds for the defense to give the O a short field for the win.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •