Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat & Ratbirds

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wildcat & Ratbirds

Well I hope Tomlin doesn't think he will be able to have the same game plan against the Ratbirds.....
    He might be able to do a little of that but, needs to pass that ball downfield with Ratbirds backfield.....
    They will be ready to stuff Conner at the line so, please do not waste downs doing this.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chubb ran all over them last week.

I know we don’t have that type of RB but I think we may be able to gash them a few times.

I’m with you though, I’m not really a fan of it. At the same time, until it’s doesn’t work I can’t be mad at them for trying new things to keep the O on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I’m with you though, I’m not really a fan of it. At the same time, until it’s doesn’t work I can’t be mad at them for trying new things to keep the O on the field.
    This.

I was actually getting tired of watching them take Rudolph off the field. At the same time, those plays were working, so it's hard to fault them. I think they found equally creative ways to get the run game going with Rudolph ON the field and I'd prefer more of that and less of direct snaps to the RB.

In any case, at least we now know that Fichtner CAN be creative. That was nice to see. I'm looking forward to see what he brings against the Rats.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    This.

I was actually getting tired of watching them take Rudolph off the field. At the same time, those plays were working, so it's hard to fault them. I think they found equally creative ways to get the run game going with Rudolph ON the field and I'd prefer more of that and less of direct snaps to the RB.

In any case, at least we now know that Fichtner CAN be creative. That was nice to see. I'm looking forward to see what he brings against the Rats.
    I’ve been vocal about my preference for Samuels as the feature back.

So it was cool but also a bit frustrating to see the wildcat used to get him involved.

I would much rather see Samuels start in the backfield with Mason at QB and then bring in Conner as a change of pace after Samuels forced the D to back up a bit since he is pretty shifty as a runner and pass catcher.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chubb ran all over them last week.
    DT Brandon Williams was a surprise last minute inactive this past weekend, so I believe that played a big factor there.

We'll have to keep an eye on the injury reports this week to see if he'll be ready to return this weekend or not.

Hopefully the fact that Earl Thomas confronted Williams in the locker room after the game is the beginning of a locker room fracture in Baltimore.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

'Do whatever' to win: Steelers bring back the Wildcat

6:00 AM ET

Brooke Pryor
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is willing to admit the Wildcat formation is a little gimmicky.

It was also plenty effective in Monday's 27-3 win against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The numbers were hardly flashy -- seven direct snaps for a gain of 46 yards and a touchdown. The formation, however, gave the Bengals a look they weren't prepared for and allowed the Steelers the kind of positive offensive momentum they were unable to sustain during their 0-3 start.

Tomlin conceded, though, the Wildcat is hardly a permanent part of the offense, especially now that teams have seen the Steelers run it. But it doesn't have to be used heavily to be effective.

With this version of the Steelers, the one void of many Pro Bowl playmakers, it's about getting through games with the pieces available. Monday night, without tight ends Vance McDonald (inactive) and Xavier Grimble (injured reserve), the Steelers had to lean heavily on the running backs.

"We're given circumstances and the players available to us," Tomlin said Tuesday afternoon. "We'll shape a plan that puts us in a position to win this one with the current mix of players and under the circumstances, and I acknowledge that it could be different.

"We're just in a fragile state right now. We need to do whatever it is we need to do to move the ball and win football games."

Monday night, that meant calling on running backs James Conner and Jaylen Samuels to do a little bit of everything.

Conner led the team in rushing and receiving with 10 carries for 42 yards and eight receptions for 83 and a touchdown. Meanwhile, after failing to get a touch the week before, Samuels became only the second player since the 1970 merger with at least three completions, three rushes and three receptions in a game. Conner and Samuels played a crucial role in protecting second-year quarterback Mason Rudolph, who made his second start since Ben Roethlisberger's season-ending elbow injury.

"When you've got a young quarterback, sometimes you can assist them by turning a 70-play game into a 50-play game," Tomlin said. "I thought it was good for him to chew up some of those snaps to limit some of his exposure to the defense while putting the ball in the hands of some capable men and being able to produce some plays.

"It was good enough to gain some traction and keep us on schedule and put us in some manageable third downs and things of that nature. Off of it, we were able to stretch the field a little bit."

Samuels' responsibilities Monday night echoed what was asked of him at NC State under then-offensive coordinator Matt Canada.

"It was all the same, literally all the same," Samuels said. "Tight end pulling, looked like freshman year all over again. It was kind of crazy. When we got back on [the practice field last week], they said it was in the game plan. I got up for that. When I heard Wildcat, I knew it was time to go."

Samuels, listed as a tight end on his college roster, was a versatile weapon for the Wolfpack and used in just about every role imaginable.

Watching from his home in Topsail Beach, North Carolina, on Monday night, Canada saw the Steelers implement plays similar to what he used, ones like the Wildcat jet where Samuels flipped the ball to Conner for a 21-yard gain in the third quarter, which set up Samuels' first touchdown of the season a play later.

"Obviously he catches passes, he can run -- he's a powerful runner," Canada said. "He can block. He's such a smart player.

"He's just such a natural guy that he finds ways to do it. Way back when, we thought it'd be good to get him the ball and I'm sure the Steelers staff had the same ideas."

It also helps that Samuels' running backs coach, Eddie Faulkner, hired by the Steelers in January, spent five years on NC State's staff and was Samuels' position coach in college.

Conner was also familiar with the scheme, having been coached by Canada in his final year at Pitt.

"To have James and JaySam together, I was happy when that happened a year ago, and then Faulk gets to go up there and coach them," Canada said. "It's really fun to sit and watch and just be the fan."

This week, the Steelers' game plan will undoubtedly be different.

Tomlin is hopeful McDonald will return from his shoulder injury this week, and new tight end Nick Vannett, recently acquired from the Seahawks, will have another week in the system. That, combined with Rudolph's increasing comfort as the starting quarterback, will give Tomlin and his staff a different set of circumstances with which to plan. Maybe it will include more Wildcat, or maybe it won't. But the Steelers' willingness to give in to the gimmicks did exactly what it needed to by yielding the first win of the season.

"You can't run it every week, but it was effective Monday night and we'll see if we utilize it or utilize it in a different way this week," Tomlin said. "That's just the challenge of the National Football League, not only for us but for all of us. What people are working on, what they're ready to employ in detail and utilize against you changes week in and week out. That's exciting."

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/31261/do-whatever-to-win-steelers-bring-back-the-wildcat
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Without Vance and Grimble we had to lean on the RB’s??

Huh?

More like without JuJu getting targets we had to rely on the RB’s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lamar Jackson ready for “crazy” Steeler Nation

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 2, 2019, 12:10 PM EDT

Lamar Jackson will face the Steelers for his first time as the Ravens’ starting quarterback on Sunday, and he’s expecting quite a reception in Pittsburgh.

“I know it’s going to be crazy. Steelers Nation is going to be pumped for the game. We’re going to have our Flock Nation in the building. It’s going to be a good rivalry. I’m ready,” Jackson said.

Asked about the absence of Ben Roethlisberger, Jackson said both the Ravens and the Steelers have changed significantly since they last played, but the rivalry remains a fierce one.

“It’s going to be pretty crazy. No Ben, a whole new team, new era. We’ve just got to get ready for it,” Jackson said.

With the Ravens at 2-2 and the Steelers at 1-3 and both teams in the unfamiliar position of looking up at the Browns in the standings, it’s a big game on Sunday. Jackson is ready for it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/02/lamar-jackson-ready-for-crazy-steeler-nation/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Without Vance and Grimble we had to lean on the RB’s??

Huh?

More like without JuJu getting targets we had to rely on the RB’s.

I am thinking with 2 TE, that will open up more running lanes through the tackle, and free up JuJu.

I am loving that trade for our double "Vs" ( Vannet and Vance)

Legend

User Info Menu

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2019 03:34 PM

Week 5 Injury Report (Ravens)

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

After missing the last two games Vince Williams was back to work on Wednesday, a full participant in practice after battling a hamstring injury.

“It felt like business as usual,” said Williams, who said it was tough being out, especially when the team lost. “Everything felt normal.

“I just want to have my availability as high as it can be. If my team calls on me, I will be ready to perform.”

But there was a laundry list of guys who didn’t practice including JuJu Smith-Schuster (toe), James Conner (ankle), Cam Heyward (quad), Vance McDonald (shoulder), Anthony Chickillo (foot) and Roosevelt Nix (knee).

During his weekly press conference on Tuesday, Coach Mike Tomlin mentioned Williams, McDonald and Chickillo, all who had missed game time, and said they could be limited but was holding out hope to have them available for Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

“Those are guys who are hopeful, and we’ll see what their participation looks like,” said Coach Mike Tomlin during his weekly press conference on Tuesday. “Probably less so with Rosie Nix as he continues to work his way back with his knee (injury), but those other ones probably have a pretty good chance. We won’t speculate. We’ll see what their practice participation is like and kind of go from there.”

Conner and Heyward were both injured against the Bengals, but returned to action in game.

“These guys may be limited some this week, and so we’ll let practice participation and the quality of it be our guide in terms of their game availability,” said Tomlin.

Maurkice Pouncey and Mark Barron also sat out on Wednesday, neither of them injury related.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 5

Wednesday, October 2

FB Roosevelt Nix (Knee) - DNP
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Foot) - DNP
    TE Vance McDonald (Shoulder) - DNP
    WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (Toe) - DNP
    RB James Conner (Ankle) - DNP
    DT Cam Heyward (Quadriceps) - DNP
    C Maurkice Pouncey (Not Injury Related) - DNP
    LB Mark Barron (Not Injury Related) - DNP
    LB Vince Williams (Hamstring) - Full

Baltimore Ravens Participation/Injury Report, Week 5

Wednesday, October 2

TE Mark Andrews (Foot) - DNP
    CB Jimmy Smith (Knee) - DNP
    S Earl Thomas (Not Injury Related) - DNP
    DT Brandon Williams (Knee) - DNP
    DB Brynden Trawick (Elbow) - Limited

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-5-injury-report-ravens