Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I gotta admit

Legend

User Info Menu

How many people ripped Roethlisberger because he took too many low percentages passes down field instead of the easy completions the defense was giving him?
    Now you have Rudolph doing exactly that and still hear the complaints from a few.
    The importance factor is the W, ugly or otherwise. (And for the record last night was not an ugly win).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    How many people ripped Roethlisberger because he took too many low percentages passes down field instead of the easy completions the defense was giving him?
    Now you have Rudolph doing exactly that and still hear the complaints from a few.
    The importance factor is the W, ugly or otherwise. (And for the record last night was not an ugly win).
    My issue isn't that he's taking what the defense gives him

My issue is that we don't have evidence that he can spot and then throw to WRs open downfield

I'll feel much better when we have that info.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

My issue is that we don't have evidence that he can spot and then throw to WRs open downfield

NB, I agree. The story is incomplete. But I really like the beginning....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"low percentage" doesn't have to be "downfield".
    Ben gambles on a lot of low percentage passes because he has the arm to get it there - some of them are short and mid-range.

Downfield passes keep the defense honest - and prevent your RBs from averaging 3ypc because the defense doesn't load the box.

When the box is loaded, then run the Wildcat because you're going to force the run anyway - that's not on the QB, it's on the OC. But, in my mind, it means the OC doesn't trust him with the keys to the car. Hopefully, he does eventually
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2021 Mock Draft
    1. Jamie Newman, QB, UGA
    2. Jabril Cox, ILB, LSU

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think too many Ben haters have bought into the 'calling players out and throwing them under the bus.'
    Can someone educate me and show me where he did this all the time?
    I'd like to read where he blamed others but never himself also.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

NB, I agree. The story is incomplete. But I really like the beginning....
    I agree; it's still to be determined.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

We do have evidence he has 3 long TD passes in the last 2 games and the one to JuJu was a dime. The short pass thing is way overblown, ya he threw the ball short it was wide open all game long.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I kinda got a man crush on Rudolph.(not that there's anything wrong with that)
    The guy says all the right things and acts like I want my young franchise qb to act.
    Watching him celebrate with and congratulate the oline, makes me think he has 'it'.
    He is humble as hell. Gives credit to his team mates.

Fwiw. Juju sure looks like he's alright not having huge numbers as long as we win.
    I hope he "has it" but I need to see him drive the ball down field into tight windows before I can say "he has it".

I won't critique his short passes because 2-yard Tom made a career out of that.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think too many Ben haters have bought into the 'calling players out and throwing them under the bus.'
    Can someone educate me and show me where he did this all the time?
    I'd like to read where he blamed others but never himself also.
    It wasn’t all the time. The problem wasn’t that Ben wouldn’t blame himself. QB’s are paid ridiculous amounts of money to take the blame. It’s part of the job.

Pointing out other players flaws and blaming other players is something you are NEVER supposed to do as a QB. It’s an unwritten rule.

Especially on your radio show.

I’ve seen Brady rip players on the sideline.. I’ve seen Peyton argue with his center on the sideline.. but you have never heard them call a player out by name and say they should’ve done this instead of that... or said a certain player wasn’t ready for prom time and has to step his game up.

Brees, Rivers, Wilson, etc...

This is the reason Ben has that reputation. IMO he’s a passive aggressive dude and that rubs people wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    a certain player wasn’t ready for prom time
    Juju was ready for prom time.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.