Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam schefter reporting a trade

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good Trade. Young QB best friend is a good TE. Vannett is closest thing to Heath 2.0 we can ask for. Going to help out in run game too. Crutch to Vanimal gets back & then you will see the reward with both on field.

Side note. Both trades are good moves. MF trade has some risk to it but unless inside Top 10 it's a wash...Just a year earlier. Everyone points out BB down & making moves. Take a Breath...And take this in. There are other players on this roster who are on the backside who are part of this. FO is not taking a year off in the window cause BB is down. It's business as usual to get to the dance. BB is still part of this ride. His presence on sideline when he gets back will help Mason. In their eyes..They are Weathering the storm until it passes... MR wlll settle in his role. Defense will improve with each passing week. That's what they see...Let's hope that's what happens. I'm still of the belief it will but tiiiick tick tick!

I understand loyalty. I'm a Connor fan. But have to start moving pieces to get things going. Have to max run game to help MR. Then feed to PA. That's next step. Step 2...Start working out some WR out there. If anything..Put room on notice. Right now..Holton value has past Switzer & Moncrief. That's not a good thing. Moncrief will get one more chance. DJ emergence is making Switzer expendable. A decision will be made here soon if someone doesn't rise to the occasion. A veteran presence in this room may help the Top of the chart & I think it's under consideration. Pickins are slim though...And that may be the deciding factor if they pull the trigger.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDecipher View Post
    Sean Davis is and has been a liability. He's exactly the same player he was a Maryland.

Minkah not being available until now, doesn't hide the deficiency.
    Who were you going to replace him with, hell he barely played the first games and look how that went. At least davis was servicable and knew the defense, just throwing someone else back there who isnt that good and doesnt know the defense is not the answer. That is just doing something to do something, they waited and drastically improved the position.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Sean Davis has been hurt and there wasnt a safety availabe until Minkah. TE was a position they drafted but maybe Gentry isnt ready yet.
    This is the continuing problem I have with the Steelers FO. They believe there own hype that they are good at finding those diamonds in the late rounds.

They think they address a need on draft day by taking on project picks. Gentry's bio suggested he was not ready for primetime, but they did nothing further to address the need.

It gets infuriating to watch this time and again.

Brothervad

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yinz bitch when the Steelers don't make a move. Bitch when they do. Fortunately the Steelers don't run the team like you do in Madden.
    Steelers needed to give Grumble a chance to fail.
    Neither Grumble nor Gentry are known for blocking skills and this move signals the Steelers are serious about getting the running game fixed.
    Lol....if they weren't known for their blocking skills, why didn't they find a te that was?
    4 games into the season they are going to get serious about running.
    Seems like the off season would've been the time to decide if you wanted a running game this year.
    They could have worked on it in otas and preseason games.
    That's funny stuff there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    This is the continuing problem I have with the Steelers FO. They believe there own hype that they are good at finding those diamonds in the late rounds.

They think they address a need on draft day by taking on project picks. Gentry's bio suggested he was not ready for primetime, but they did nothing further to address the need.

It gets infuriating to watch this time and again.

Brothervad
    I can argue whether Gentry should even be on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    grimble wasn't given any meaningful competition this summer and he's the same bum he has always been. another inept roster move to keep him around

now we trade a 5th for a guy in the last year of his deal. don't get this move. looks like a little disarray in the FO
    You nailed it. The Steelers were completely unprepared at safety and had to make a move there. I like Minkah, but they were unprepared. Same at tight end. Grimble is a fine #3 TE. Maybe. At least they recognized the need to draft a TE, but the Gentry pick looked like a reach at the time, and that is proving to be the case. He and Gentry should have been competing for the #3 spot. Especially given McDonald's injury history, they should have done more in the offseason to address the position. They didn't.

If I looked at the trade as Dobbs for Vannett, I'm ok with it from that perspective. But a 5th for a rental player in a long year - I like that much less.

Legend

User Info Menu

Spending our 2020 5th round pick on a TE?

That seems about right based on recent history.

In the 2019 draft, we used our 5th round pick on TE Zach Gentry.

In order to obtain TE Vance McDonald in a trade, we moved down 20 spots in the 2018 draft from the late 4th round (128) to the early 5th round (148), and then we used our regular 5th round pick in that draft (165) to get Jaylen Samuels, who played more like a quasi-TE H-back position at N.C. State than a standard RB spot.

In the 2016, we were apparently quite interested in drafting Vannett back then, but had more pressing needs in the secondary and on the d-line, so we used our first 3 picks on Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Javon Hargrave. Seattle ended up taking Vannett with the last regular pick in round 3 before the comp picks started. If that didn't happen, it's possible that our next pick in round 4 could have been Vannett instead of Jerald Hawkins.

In the 2015 draft, we used our 5th round pick on Jesse James.

As a few others have mentioned already (Hawaiian, Philly, etc.) if you look at this trade as being Josh Dobbs for Nick Vannett, I don't think that there would be a poster in here that would not have signed up for that as we were making our final roster decisions.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yinz bitch when the Steelers don't make a move. Bitch when they do. Fortunately the Steelers don't run the team like you do in Madden.
    Steelers needed to give Grumble a chance to fail.
    Neither Grumble nor Gentry are known for blocking skills and this move signals the Steelers are serious about getting the running game fixed.
    Haha.. itís what they do. Regardless all they do is b!tch and moan.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Lol....if they weren't known for their blocking skills, why didn't they find a te that was?
    4 games into the season they are going to get serious about running.
    Seems like the off season would've been the time to decide if you wanted a running game this year.
    They could have worked on it in otas and preseason games.
    That's funny stuff there.
    Uh, not sure if you heard but the Steelers lost their HOF QB the second game of the season. Hence, greater emphasis on the run game going forward.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it sure is funny that the posters who are saying giving up an early 5th for a likely 1 year rental is a great move are the same ones who beat the table and tell the rest of us what a great value pick some scrub like Sutton smith is when we take them in the same spot. great value, core special teamer, future starter, yada yada yada

hypocrisy, how does it work