Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: At what point on MNF do we see the corny "Killer B's No More" graphic??

  1. #31
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Totally agree. And I think that's why Romo has become so popular so quickly. His perspective is geared more towards the fan that has more than just a casual understanding of the game.
    I'd take Romo as color over anybody ever.

    And Madden was on the list of good past commentators above?

    I don't care about commentators near as much as you guys. Enjoyed Madden and everyone on that list. Even scrubs today don't irritate me.

    But Madden is the EPITOME of a broadcaster catering to know-nothing fans. Heck I think he mastered the art.

    I have refugee friends from Africa who arrived with ZERO knowledge of American football... Just soccer.

    Madden was perfect for an audience like that.

  2. #32
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep. I think that's also why there aren't more guys like Romo. The networks assume people are stupid (for pretty much all other main stream media, not just sports).
    They assume right.
    Most people aren't knowledgeable on the issues but can relate/be told/be outraged/be influenced quite easily.

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I'd take Romo as color over anybody ever.

    And Madden was on the list of good past commentators above?

    I don't care about commentators near as much as you guys. Enjoyed Madden and everyone on that list. Even scrubs today don't irritate me.

    But Madden is the EPITOME of a broadcaster catering to know-nothing fans. Heck I think he mastered the art.

    I have refugee friends from Africa who arrived with ZERO knowledge of American football... Just soccer.

    Madden was perfect for an audience like that.
    That's fair. Though I do remember Madden breaking down plays with his telestrator. He sounded like a fool but you can't deny the level of understanding of the game he had. I think people's perception of Madden sometimes has more to do with Caliendo's over-the-top impression, than of the man himself.

    On a somewhat related note, we were at the HOF a few years back for Bettis' induction. Madden was walking by, not making eye contact or talking to anyone. I was a few feet from him and I said, "Franco caught it." He looked up at me with the dirtiest look on his face. Priceless!!!

  4. #34
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    They assume right.
    Most people aren't knowledgeable on the issues but can relate/be told/be outraged/be influenced quite easily.
    Are we still talking sports?

  5. #35
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    That's fair. Though I do remember Madden breaking down plays with his telestrator. He sounded like a fool but you can't deny the level of understanding of the game he had. I think people's perception of Madden sometimes has more to do with Caliendo's over-the-top impression, than of the man himself. Priceless!!!
    He does a funny Madden. But....Caliendo's Morgan Freeman....that one ain't over the top.....it is just accurate.

    Not questioning his knowledge. But he made the game understandable for novices. A good thing. But if one is gonna complain about a dumbed down delivery, he was the master.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    On a somewhat related note, we were at the HOF a few years back for Bettis' induction. Madden was walking by, not making eye contact or talking to anyone. I was a few feet from him and I said, "Franco caught it." He looked up at me with the dirtiest look on his face. Priceless!!!
    If he only taught his guys that an interception is better than trying to kill an opponent, that play never happens.

    He could have had a pick EASY.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-03-2019 at 10:19 AM.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    They assume right.
    Most people aren't knowledgeable on the issues but can relate/be told/be outraged/be influenced quite easily.
    I think that's only because people get the ****ty super-dumbed-down 5s sound clip version of everything.

    I also think that there's a real demand for longer form content (like podcasts) that have conversations that are way more deep / nuanced than TV / radio formats allow.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    That's fair. Though I do remember Madden breaking down plays with his telestrator. He sounded like a fool but you can't deny the level of understanding of the game he had. I think people's perception of Madden sometimes has more to do with Caliendo's over-the-top impression, than of the man himself.

    On a somewhat related note, we were at the HOF a few years back for Bettis' induction. Madden was walking by, not making eye contact or talking to anyone. I was a few feet from him and I said, "Franco caught it." He looked up at me with the dirtiest look on his face. Priceless!!!
    Things I remember about Madden's telestrator:
    - circling birds on a body of water outside the stadium (I think it was in SF?) because the game was boring (blowout I think)
    - circling banners that were covering vents in a SB because smoke from the halftime show didn't dissapate.
    - circling different legs on the Tur-Duck-En on Thanksgiving
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  8. #38
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    For knowledgeable fans, I think almost all commentators for all sports suck.

    Their job is to engage with the casual fan.

    So I think they end up describing pretty basic things or rehashing narratives that aren't necessarily true if you look at them seriously.

    I try to just tune them out and watch the game. That's easier to do in a sport like hockey where they play most of the TV time. It's harder in football when there's very little play time vs. the length of the game.
    I actually enjoy the commentary in hockey more than football.

    Maybe it's because I played football and understand football strategy pretty well, so most of the football conversation seems obvious and unnecessary to me.

    But since I never actually played competitive hockey (since my skating sucks), although I do understand hockey's rules, much of the on-ice strategy is still somewhat foreign to me.

    I am actually able to learn more about the game when I listen to a quality hockey play-by-play guy and color commentator.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •