Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This team is STALE!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

one of the strengths of the steelers has been their ability to take a long view and to not overreact to bad seasons. they give coaches room to have some failures. That's to their credit and is a big part of the success they've enjoyed over the last 50 years. The trick however, is knowing where the line is to make a change. With this current group and in particular Tomlin - I have felt that the success they've achieved is as much as they will ever achieve. Art Jr. clearly thinks differently. But i'm not going to blame them for sticking to a formula that has been hugely successful. To the point of the OP however, I agree. I don't think the Steelers are innovative, nor do they do anything that typically confuses other teams. I don't know if I'd use the word 'stale' - because that would imply Tomlin has ever been 'fresh'. I don't think so. He's a motivator and a players coach - and he's had some horses he's been able to ride. But he's certainly no evil genius. I don't think he's going anywhere - but I still think the coaching staff needs something to help mix it up.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    one of the strengths of the steelers has been their ability to take a long view and to not overreact to bad seasons. they give coaches room to have some failures. That's to their credit and is a big part of the success they've enjoyed over the last 50 years. The trick however, is knowing where the line is to make a change. With this current group and in particular Tomlin - I have felt that the success they've achieved is as much as they will ever achieve. Art Jr. clearly thinks differently. But i'm not going to blame them for sticking to a formula that has been hugely successful. To the point of the OP however, I agree. I don't think the Steelers are innovative, nor do they do anything that typically confuses other teams. I don't know if I'd use the word 'stale' - because that would imply Tomlin has ever been 'fresh'. I don't think so. He's a motivator and a players coach - and he's had some horses he's been able to ride. But he's certainly no evil genius. I don't think he's going anywhere - but I still think the coaching staff needs something to help mix it up.
    That's why I'm not sure on Tomlin yet - because like you said, he isn't really an X's and O's guy

But he damn well better find those guys if it's not going to be his role. And he hasn't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I didn't mean to jump on you.
    I just get so tired of coaches coming and going but the same issues remain.
    I don't get why some people care so much about coaching stability but always want to blame the OC and DC and replace them.
    Tomlin is, or more, responsible for this defense than Butler.
    Yep; No argument from me.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Tomlin's greatest skill is being a cheerleader. His rah rah ran its course years and years ago.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I didn't mean to jump on you.
    I just get so tired of coaches coming and going but the same issues remain.
    I don't get why some people care so much about coaching stability but always want to blame the OC and DC and replace them.
    Tomlin is, or more, responsible for this defense than Butler.
    It's all good. And I don't disagree with you. I associate the failure more with the OC and DC positions because of how this team is designed and the fact that Tomlin is not heavily involved on either side. He coaches differently than other guys like McVay for example. He let's his coordinators coordinate.

Which is why if he can't find solid coordinators, that is what reflects poorly on him.

And coaches haven't really come and gone here, at least not the ones that matter. It's just been succession, not replacement.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Makes me want to vomit but the AFC north is going to punch this team in the mouth
    Hmmm? Every team in AFC North lost today.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Hmmm? Every team in AFC North lost today.
    All three played undefeated teams too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Good point.

And next Monday night its two winless teams!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    You don't seem to understand my position.

I'm not outright blaming the OC and DC. I am blaming the entire organization for creating/allowing the current scenario
    of being an outdated team to exist.

I believe the correction begins with new blood at OC and DC, but does not necessarily end there.

If Tomlin won't make that change, then he 100% needs go out the door with them.
    I agree that internal hires for DC and OC were bad process. Should have done external searches to get the best options available.

Instead we went with loyalty to Butler and someone that specifically wouldn't challenge Ben in Fichtner.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    good point...

and as a general question.. have any of the teams we have played... lost yet? i know SF and NE havent.. is Sea 3-0 or 2-1?