Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I have tried to back Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Mafia View Post
    I am not saying Mason wasn't at fault, but I do believe that the OC needs to simplify the play calls to the personnel on the field. Not open the entire book. (which was quoted by the OC earlier this week) Especially, when this is their first road game in the NFL. I didn't see anything in the play calls that would have helped Rudolph in the first few possessions. Two consecutive stalled drives? Really, on a short field? Where was Conner, or Samuels, or even McDonald?

I believe we have a mediocre offensive coaching staff (If that) and they have only had some success when there was above talent on the field. Even then, they under achieved in past seasons Now that the talent is gone, they have no clue how to utilize these young players.
    Mason struggled and that's the biggest reason the offense stalled. Especially on 3rd down. The coaches generally seem to put the offense in 3rd and manageable situations for Mason. He didn't make good enough throws. Hopefully he will improve with more experience.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Well we really aren't using our running backs or TE in the passing game, every time we try to throw to a back or TE it seems to be a screen pass. Every team we have played so far has forced our MLB's to cover in the middle of the field and it's being exploited.

YES!!!
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Legend

User Info Menu

People it doesn't matter what formations, schemes, ect ect the coaches use if the QB doesn't make the plays. Poor QB play has a cascading effect on an offense and potentially the entire team. That's what we witnessed vs the 9ners and pretty much this entire season.

The offense has stunk on 3rd down. 3rd down is when QB's make a lot of money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    People it doesn't matter what formations, schemes, ect ect the coaches use if the QB doesn't make the plays. Poor QB play has a cascading effect on an offense and potentially the entire team. That's what we witnessed vs the 9ners and pretty much this entire season.

The offense has stunk on 3rd down. 3rd down is when QB's make a lot of money.
    when youve got a 3rd and long and call up a 2 yard speed out route. and it falls short... im not blaming that on the QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    when youve got a 3rd and long and call up a 2 yard speed out route. and it falls short... im not blaming that on the QB
    Nevermind. Some people just don't even have the sense to understand.

Legend

User Info Menu

18 run plays doesn't seem like a good recipe to help a first time starting QB on the road.
    And no, we didn't have to abandon the run because we were losing big.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need to abandon Conner right now. He isn’t impressing me at all this season. Give Samuels a chance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    18 run plays doesn't seem like a good recipe to help a first time starting QB on the road.
    And no, we didn't have to abandon the run because we were losing big.
    Well what's the magic number of runs? If you have a running game that isn't working and putting you in bad down and distance I don't see how doing more of it is going to help your QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

The offense looked vanilla but probably intentionally so to help Rudolph get comfortable. The route trees may have been scaled back to makes his reads easier. Problem is it makes it easier for the defense as well.
    He seemed to do better as the game wore on. I think we'll see him get better with each game and by season's end the Steelers should know we hat they have at QB, good or bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Well what's the magic number of runs? If you have a running game that isn't working and putting you in bad down and distance I don't see how doing more of it is going to help your QB.
    Well, we averaged 3.6 and the 49ers 4.2.
    I don't see a huge difference to only run it 18 times compared to their 34.
    Seems like they would have been in the same bad situations.