Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Officiating

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Today's Officiating

Aikman disturbed:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/troy-ai...185811582.html

The league just continues to struggle with what to do to keep the games fair. I think the rules of the game are just too hard to officiate. The two top penalties are Holding on the offensive line and Holding/Pass Interference on defense.

What do you think would happen if those rules were thrown out? Make the game easier to officiate.

I hate the holding penalty. I could be called on every play. And these days, it seems like it often is, especially at the worst times. So, why not allow linemen to hold if they want? Put boxing-like gloves on them so they can't actually grab shirts. But allow them to hold with their arms if they want to. The league wants to protect QB's at all costs anyway. Allow holding.

On defense, make the only way to call Pass interference, when you cause the receiver to fall down before the catch or hold on to him with your hands or arms so that he can't move. Otherwise, it's up to the receiver to find a way to get open, even if the defender face-guards without looking back for the ball. Allow nearly every kind of "interference" except for holding him to impede is his progress or causing him to fall - the most egregious kinds of PI. If it's not egregious, it's not interference.

No replay at all on these penalties. Call on the field stands.

Would the game be OK with these changes?

Legend

User Info Menu

So in other words get back to Football.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now here’s some great officiating:

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan says a ref told him to take it easy on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Sunday’s game. McMillan claims the ref went so far as to say “stay off Tom.”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jamal Adams: https://twitter.com/search?q=jamal+a...Ctwgr%5Esearch

"This league is a damn joke! I just got fined $21k for this hit, I signed up to play football not two hand touch. Bullsh!t! I don’t give a damn about these soft rules protecting QBs. Im gonna play MY brand of football everytime I step on the field. SMH"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan says a ref told him to take it easy on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Sunday’s game. McMillan claims the ref went so far as to say “stay off Tom.”
    The fix is in to protect Brady and help the Patriots keep winning. Should be a scandal, but everyone is resigned to the fact that this is the way it will be.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    So in other words get back to Football.
    Yes! The game needs to be easier to officiate. They're taking the wrong approach with ADDING rules. They need to get rid of rules and make it easire for officials to stay out of the way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Seriously? What in the actual h3ll? If I was a player and heard that, I'd be wanting to tee off on Tom.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Yes! The game needs to be easier to officiate. They're taking the wrong approach with ADDING rules. They need to get rid of rules and make it easire for officials to stay out of the way.
    They need to keep the rules but quit giving the TV audience 87 camera angles, slomo, replays etc.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    They need to keep the rules but quit giving the TV audience 87 camera angles, slomo, replays etc.
    They can't offiicate the rules. That's the main problem. There is holding on nearly every offensive play. Where do you draw the line? And by the current rules, there's almost always pass interference of some kind on every pass play.

Instant reply came about because of b1tching. New rules came out this year because of the Saints debacle.

Make the game easier to officiate IMO and take much of the burden off the officials.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The NFL is in a catch 22. There is a ton of money available to invest in QB’s so of course they want to protect those investments. However they may ruin the game to the point viewership declines and results in less money.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!