Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Let's talk about the running game; Offensive line play

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it's probably more like having an above average to elite QB masks a lot of problems.

Teams don't have to worry about our passing game now, which makes it much harder for the Oline IMO
    Iíll add to this, I think the run blocking prowess of our online was overrated.

We passed more than anybody......so teams as you said HAD to defend us that way.
    When running we had a HUGE advantage as a result.

But outside of DD, our line while athletic, is not very powerful. It never has been.

We could never be like the Bettis era Steelers.......run and you canít stop it.

Without fear of the QB......we got nothing.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-07-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    In retrospect, yes. However, at the time I was okay that our inexperienced, rookie, third string QB got out of bounds (earlier than he should have) without taking a hit.
    Absolutely, it is just one of those small things that happened in the game and created a perfect storm for the Ravens. 30 to 35 secnds less on the clock and the Ravens would have had a bit more urgency on the last drive and who knows if they make another mistake or not. they don't have to go to far to get Tucker into range, he really is a good weapon to have on your team.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that the Steelers have only exceeded rushing over 100 yards once in their last 12 games.

this is definitely a cause for concern...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I read somewhere that the Steelers have only exceeded rushing over 100 yards once in their last 12 games.

this is definitely a cause for concern...
    As a team? Man...that seems pretty bad if it's correct.

I didn't check game by game, but I did look at some overall stats over the last few years.

This year, we rank 29th in yards (and some teams have had byes already). We rank 28th in YPC at 3.5. I think at least part of that is that we've faced some pretty good Ds who are loading up the box because they know we aren't good at passing the ball.

I don't think it's a Munchak thing (as is often argued here). Last year, we had 1445 yards last season (2nd last in the league). Part of that is because we didn't run much. But we also had 4.2 YPC as a whole last year, which was 25th in the league.

Not sure it's a Conner vs. Bell thing either. The year before (with Bell), we had 200 or so more yards, but a lower YPC at 3.8.

It looks like we're just not good at running the ball compared to the rest of the league. Maybe that's not such a big deal if you have a very good QB and you can pass all the time. But, not we can't run and we can't pass. That's obviously a bad situation. Especially when you consider that we're in an era when things are slanted heavily to the offenses.

Maybe that fits with that argument that we optimized the OLine for passing to protect Ben and the tradeoff is that we got worse at run blocking?

Oh...and it will probably be worse this week because we've got more injuries to Washington and Samuels.

* all numbers from profootball reference
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-10-2019 at 05:32 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I’ll add to this, I think the run blocking prowess of our online was overrated.

We passed more than anybody......so teams as you said HAD to defend us that way.

But outside of DD, our line while athletic, is not very powerful. It never has been.

We could never be like the Bettis era Steelers.......run and you can’t stop it.

Guess we need a couple of real road graders from the draft then huh? Maybe we find one in the second or third round of the draft.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Iíll add to this, I think the run blocking prowess of our online was overrated.

We could never be like the Bettis era Steelers.......run and you canít stop it.

Spot on Captain.
    Defenses put in their light nickel and dimes, and an OL can just use his arm to shove him out of the way. Easy pickings.
    Now with less fear from passing, the defenses have gotten heavier... guessing.