Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the running game; Offensive line play

Legend

User Info Menu

Foster has looked very ordinary and AV doesn't look like the AV we are used to seeing.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    John Clayton has an analysis that when your starting line reaches the collective age of 150...its level of play begins to deteriorate.

AV..........31
    Foster....33
    Pouncy...30
    DeCatro..29
    Feiler.......27

Total age: 150 exactly

That being said it is all 5 at 30, but it's close (almost 4).

Couple that with perhaps the best OL coach moving on to greener pastures, perhaps it's the perfect storm

https://bloggingdirty-com.cdn.amppro...nta-falcons%2F

Brothervad

Replace Foster with Finney and we are good to go, under 150.

With our young QBs we are still throwing twice as much as running ( if you figure Devlins two runs were passing calls that didnt happen)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post

With our young QBs we are still throwing twice as much as running ( if you figure Devlins two runs were passing calls that didnt happen)
    Speaking of Hodges' runs, am I the only one that wanted him to get down before going OOB on the scramble that picked up a 1st down? Had he gone down on the field, another 30 seconds (or more) would have come off the clock and the Ravens would have been left a less time to tie the game and, quite possibly wouldn't have.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Speaking of Hodges' runs, am I the only one that wanted him to get down before going OOB on the scramble that picked up a 1st down? Had he gone down on the field, another 30 seconds (or more) would have come off the clock and the Ravens would have been left a less time to tie the game and, quite possibly wouldn't have.

Pappy
    Good point! I didnt think about the clock. I was more worried about the fact that I thought he could have gotten 5 more yards before going out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post

So your saying that they all just got old all of a sudden at exactly the same time??

I hear what your saying but I canít agree with that. We lost the best O-line coach in the league and he wasnít adequately replaced. We needed to go outside the organization to replace him but Colbert obviously choose not to and itís cost us big time.

Lay this one squarely at the feet of Colbert; Tomlin doesnít hire/ fire coaches.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I think you're right, it would have been better.

Don't know if it would have made the difference, but every little bit helps.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

am i the only one who thinks the "line seemed to block better for the run" once Hodges came into the game.

I've argued a number of times that the problem isn't the blocking, it's the short passes and Wildcat since MR came in. There's no threat of downfield throws so the defense can stick 8 up in the box. They backed off once Hodges threw a couple...

Basically, i don't think it's the line, I think it's the play calling
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    am i the only one who thinks the "line seemed to block better for the run" once Hodges came into the game.

I've argued a number of times that the problem isn't the blocking, it's the short passes and Wildcat since MR came in. There's no threat of downfield throws so the defense can stick 8 up in the box. They backed off once Hodges threw a couple...

Basically, i don't think it's the line, I think it's the play calling
    I'm going to take what you said and put those glasses on this coming Sunday and see if there is any merit and what you've brought up. Good take.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    In retrospect, yes. However, at the time I was okay that our inexperienced, rookie, third string QB got out of bounds (earlier than he should have) without taking a hit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    So your saying that they all just got old all of a sudden at exactly the same time??

I hear what your saying but I can’t agree with that. We lost the best O-line coach in the league and he wasn’t adequately replaced. We needed to go outside the organization to replace him but Colbert obviously choose not to and it’s cost us big time.

Lay this one squarely at the feet of Colbert; Tomlin doesn’t hire/ fire coaches.
    I think it's probably more like having an above average to elite QB masks a lot of problems.

Teams don't have to worry about our passing game now, which makes it much harder for the Oline IMO
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158