Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 49ers Are a Really Good Team

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Mason moves the offense vs. the 49ers and throws 3 TDs. It isn't enough.

SF 38
    Steelers 27
    After further reflection, I think the Steelers' D does a bit better than I previously thought.

SF 30
    Steelers 27

Legend

User Info Menu

Thursday, Sep 19, 2019 06:00 PM

Week 3 Injury Report (49ers)

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

It was back to work for several players on Thursday, which was a good sign as they prepare to take on the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday at Levi Stadium.

James Conner, who injured his knee against the Seahawks last week, was a full participant in practice. Vance McDonald (back), who was limited on Wednesday, was back in full swing on Thursday as well.

For McDonald, Sunday’s game will be his first back in San Francisco since the 49ers traded him to the Steelers just before the start of the 2017 season.

“Spending four years there, playing and living, it will bring that amount of extra excitement to me and for me,” said McDonald. “But they are just guys in helmets. I just have to execute and do my job.”

While those two returned to action, Roosevelt Nix (knee), Anthony Chickillo (foot), Vince Williams (hamstring) and Joe Haden (shoulder) didn’t practice for a second consecutive day.

Haden was bothered by the shoulder injury last week, missing practice on Wednesday and Thursday but returning to work on Friday. From what he said after practice, it will be the same approach this week.

“It’s feeling pretty good,” said Haden. “It feels better today at this time than it did last week at this time. I think it’s more now just getting me another day of rest. I should be out there at practice tomorrow.”

Bud Dupree was also added to the injury report, limited in practice with an ankle injury.

Mark Barron didn’t practice, simply a coach’s decision and not injury related.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 3

Thursday, September 19
    CB Joe Haden (Shoulder) - DNP
    FB Roosevelt Nix (Knee) - DNP
    LB Vince Williams (Hamstring) - DNP
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Foot) - DNP
    RB James Conner (Knee) - Full
    TE Vance McDonald (Back) - Full
    LB Bud Dupree (Ankle) - Limited
    LB Mark Barron (Not injury related) - DNP

Wednesday, September 18
    CB Joe Haden (Shoulder) - DNP
    FB Roosevelt Nix (Knee) - DNP
    LB Vince Williams (Hamstring) - DNP
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Foot) - DNP
    RB James Conner (Knee) - DNP
    TE Vance McDonald (Back) - Limited

San Francisco 49ers Participation/Injury Report, Week 3

Thursday, September 19
    RB Tevin Coleman (Ankle) - DNP
    DE Dee Ford (Quadricep) - DNP
    WR Jalen Herd (Back) - DNP
    T Joe Staley (Fibula) - DNP
    WR Trent Taylor (Foot) - DNP
    S Jaquisky Tartt (Toe) - Limited
    DE Nick Bosa (Ankle) - Limited
    DB Jimmie Ward (Hand) - Limited

Wednesday, September 18
    RB Tevin Coleman (Ankle) - DNP
    DE Dee Ford (Quadricep) - DNP
    S Jaquisky Tartt (Ankle) - DNP
    WR Jalen Herd (Back) - DNP
    T Joe Staley (Fibula) - DNP
    WR Trent Taylor (Foot) - DNP
    DE Nick Bosa (Ankle) - Limited
    DB Jimmie Ward (Hand) - Limited

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-3-injury-report-49ers
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerry Rice thinks 49ers can win the Super Bowl — this year

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 20, 2019, 8:21 AM EDT

The 49ers have made substantial progress, getting their quarterback healthy, and picking up a couple of road wins to start the season.

Now, one of their best players in franchise history thinks they’re destined for much bigger things.

Via Gary Peterson of the San Jose Mercury News, 49ers legend Jerry Rice said during an interview with 95.7 The Game that he thinks Jimmy Garoppolo can lead his old team to the title.

“I think they might just have to go back and practice in Youngstown,” Rice said with a laugh of their stay in Ohio last week. “They gotta stay in that Holiday Inn, they have to eat that ice cream, they just have to focus on football. If they do that, man, I feel like they have a great chance of winning the Super Bowl.”

Of course.

Rice went into enthusiastic detail about the offense, and Kyle Shanahan’s creativity, and the development of rookie wideout Deebo Samuel, and it’s almost like he talked himself into something.

“I don’t want to jump the gun, Rice said, “but I’m starting to feel it a little bit. These guys are looking really, really like contenders.”

It might take more than wins over the Buccaneers and the Bengals to prove that, but they’re at least on the right track.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/20/jerry-rice-thinks-49ers-can-win-the-super-bowl-this-year/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wonder if we should look to add a FB if Nix is going to be out for a while. No FB and no great blocking TE hurts our running game a bit and I'd think we'd want to lean into running more with a new QB.
    Doesn't matter if you never put the fb on the filed

Legend

User Info Menu

James Conner, Joe Haden good to go for Steelers

Posted by Charean Williams on September 20, 2019, 3:52 PM EDT

The Steelers received some good news at the end of a bad week. Cornerback Joe Haden and running back James Conner are good to go for Sunday.

Haden returned to practice Friday after missing the previous two days with his shoulder injury.

Haden said his shoulder is “definitely” feeling better this week.

“It bothers me a little bit,” Haden said, via Teresa Varley of the team website. “It hurts. But you just have to get past that, knowing it’s going to be there. I can still get full range of motion and everything. That is the main thing.”

Conner had a full practice for a second consecutive day after missing practice Wednesday with his knee issue. Tight end Vance McDonald (back) and linebacker Bud Dupree (ankle) also were full participants.

The Steelers did rule out linebackers Vince Williams (hamstring) and Anthony Chickillo (foot) and fullback Roosevelt Nix (knee).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/20/james-conner-joe-haden-good-to-go-for-steelers/

Legend

User Info Menu

49ers list Dee Ford as questionable
    By Charean Williams | Sep 20, 2019, 5:33 PM EDT

The 49ers list defensive end Dee Ford as questionable with discomfort in his knee and quadriceps. He sat out practices Wednesday and Thursday but participated in a walk-through Friday after the team changed its work schedule.

“Hopefully, he’ll be feeling good on Sunday,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Friday, via Matt Maiocco of NBCSportsBayArea.com. “He said he felt good. He looked good walking through. But I know that’ll go all the way up to Sunday.”

The 49ers also list rookie defensive end Nick Bosa (ankle) and safeties Jaquiski Tartt (toe) and Jimmie Ward (hand) as questionable for Sunday’s game. Bosa and Tartt are expected to play, while Ward is likely to miss his third consecutive game.

San Francisco, of course, ruled out running back Tevin Coleman (ankle), rookie receiver Jalen Hurd (back) and offensive tackle Joe Staley (leg). Shanahan expects Hurd to make his debut in Week Five after the team’s bye week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers D is going to be nasty this weekend.

Steelers 34
    49ers 6

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers 2 49’ers 0

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.