Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first round defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our first round defense

The acquisition of Fitzpatrick got me thinking that now we could actually start a defense where 10 of 11 starters would be former first round draft picks. It’s just an odd little factoid that I would really like to question Keith Butler and Kevin Colbert about.

Alualu
    Heyward
    Watt
    Barron
    Bush
    Dupree
    Haden
    Burns
    Fitzpatrick
    Edmunds
    Last edited by The Man of Steel; 09-18-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    The acquisition of Fitzpatrick got me thinking that now we could actually start a defense where 10 of 11 starters would be former first round draft picks. It’s just an odd little factoid that I would really like to question Keith Butler and Kevin Colbert about.

Alualu
    Heyward
    Watt
    Barron
    Bush
    Dupree
    Haden
    Burns
    Fitzpatrick
    Edmunds
    Seems pretty clear that many on this list haven't lived up to the expectations of being a first round pick...or maybe that we're not looking at this finely enough re: early / mid / late first round picks.

Looks like scouting is difficult.

I wonder if the NFL is becoming like the NHL where it's easier to scout offensive players than defensive ones.

Does anyone know of a place we can look to find "success rate" of players drafted at various positions (football position and draft position)?

Again I've only seen data on this for the NHL, but I think the takeaways there are:
    1) Forewards are pretty easy to scout, defensemen are harder, and goalies are voodoo. and
    2) The first 3 picks are very valuable, value drops off sharply, then more gradually toward the end of the first. Late firsts aren't much different than late 2nds (i.e. pick value decays exponentially).

I wonder if this is similar in the NFL, or if the older age of players in the NFL draft makes it easier for teams to get a good handle on their talent level.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [[url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14][/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: [... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5]

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): [... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22]

Tomlin's Las year: [... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you're on the right track there, Northern. I would give it a 'yes, and...'

I think the evolution of NFL offenses and rules benefiting offense have created a situation in which 2nd and 3rd rounders on offense can compete on even footing with 1st rounders on defense.

So now the former defensive stars are just normal guys. Only the superstars still stand out.

I think we all need to accept that NFL defenses can't win like they used to. The focus now should be in creating turnovers, not necessarily stopping scoring. 'Bend but don't break' is dead.

And the Steelers just suck at creating turnovers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

2018 Steelers defense rankings:

6th best in yards/play (bend but don't break)

6th best in total yards allowed

better defenses: Ravens, Bears, Vikings, Bills, Jaguars

1st in sacks

16th in points allowed

29th in takeaways

32nd in penalties taken

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was talking to my father in law about the lack of big names at DB these days.

Maybe I’m not as invested in these new younger DB’s but it feels like the secondary unit doesn’t have as many stars as the last crop.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    2018 Steelers defense rankings:

6th best in yards/play (bend but don't break)

6th best in total yards allowed

better defenses: Ravens, Bears, Vikings, Bills, Jaguars

1st in sacks

16th in points allowed

29th in takeaways

32nd in penalties taken
    Lack of turnovers was a huge problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Lack of turnovers was a huge problem.
    Against the Seahawks, look at the costly penalties. 15 yards on a FG turned 3 into 7. DPI on 2nd & 20 led to a score. That's two biggies right there. At least turnovers are off to a better start this year.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post

Alualu
    Heyward
    Watt
    Barron
    Bush
    Dupree
    Haden
    Burns
    Fitzpatrick
    Edmunds
    Since we’re stockpiling the defense with first round busts it only makes sense then to cut Chickillo and bring back Jarvis Jones.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Since we’re stockpiling the defense with first round busts it only makes sense then to cut Chickillo and bring back Jarvis Jones.
    Is that a stockpile busts? I think almost all those guys are good players with the exception of Burns. Some would say Dupree but I dont think he has been that bad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the more talent we add and the longer we remain an average (at best) defense - the more I'm inclined to believe Keith Butler and Tomlin simply aren't very good.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!