Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben vows injury won’t end his career

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben vows injury won’t end his career

Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger vows injury won’t end his career

Updated Sep 16
    By Ron Southwick

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger described his season-ending elbow injury as “heartbreaking” but he says his career is not over.

In his first statement since the news that the injury would end his season, Roethlisberger issued a statement Monday saying he plans to fulfill his three-year contract, which he just signed in the off-season.

“The Steelers committed three years to me this offseason and I fully intend to honor my contract and reward them with championship level play,” Roethlisberger said in the statement.

The Steelers announced early Monday that Roethlisberger would need surgery to repair his elbow and he will be out for the season. The news represents a severe blow to a team that’s already started the season with two consecutive losses, including a 28-26 loss to the Seattle Seahawks Sunday.

Roethlisberger, 37, had just begun his 16th season. He didn’t hide his disappointment at the abrupt end to his season.

“This is shocking and heartbreaking for me, to miss this much of a season and feel like I am letting down so many people,” he said. “I can only trust God’s plan, but I am completely determined to battle through this challenge and come back stronger than ever next season.”

Mason Rudolph takes over as the Steelers starting quarterback. The second-year quarterback fared capably in his first NFL action, throwing two touchdown passes.

Roethlisberger vowed to support Rudolph and his teammates.

“I will do all I can to support Mason and the team this season to help win games,” Roethlisberger said in the statement. “I love this game, my teammates, the Steelers organization and fans, and I feel in my heart I have a lot left to give.”

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/20...is-career.html

Legend

User Info Menu

Youve fallen off the cliff Ben. Time to retire. Thanks for a hell of a career though. You are the GOAT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Youve fallen off the cliff Ben. Time to retire. Thanks for a hell of a career though. You are the GOAT.
    I wonder if the elbow was bothering him last year. I don't know about how this injury works.

If it was, maybe it explains his poor deep ball accuracy over the last 2 years.

I think the Fitz trade means that the team things he's going to come back and play next year. In that light, we just pre-selected our early draft pick through the trade and we don't really care about not having him cheap for 5 years because we're trying to have a very good D for next year when Ben comes back.

Legend

User Info Menu

As much as I've enjoyed watching Ben play since 2004, I would love for Rudolph to play so well that the decision to start Ben next year is a very difficult one. It's time to pass the torch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    As much as I've enjoyed watching Ben play since 2004, I would love for Rudolph to play so well that the decision to start Ben next year is a very difficult one. It's time to pass the torch.
    yes it is Eich.. and i hope thats what happens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I wonder if the elbow was bothering him last year. I don't know about how this injury works.

If it was, maybe it explains his poor deep ball accuracy over the last 2 years.

I think the Fitz trade means that the team things he's going to come back and play next year. In that light, we just pre-selected our early draft pick through the trade and we don't really care about not having him cheap for 5 years because we're trying to have a very good D for next year when Ben comes back.
    if the elbow has been an ongoing issue.. the entire medical staff should be fired. No way we sign damaged goods to a 35 mill a year extension

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    if the elbow has been an ongoing issue.. the entire medical staff should be fired. No way we sign damaged goods to a 35 mill a year extension
    Is it possible Ben’s team hid the injury?

Especially if they just thought it was soreness?

I don’t know.. but it wouldn’t be the first time a player lied or hid the truth while negotiating a contract.

Bettie faked an injury to stay on the team and we always viewed him as a stand up guy.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 09-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Is it possible Ben’s team hid the injury?

Especially if they just thought it was soreness?

I don’t know.. but it wouldn’t be the first time a player lied or hid the truth while negotiating a contract.

Bettie faked an injury to stay on the team and we always viewed him as a stand up guy.
    if they find out his team hid the injury... i hope the entire contract is voided. Unlikely to happen but we can only hope.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

35/62, 351 yards, 56.5 completion %, 0 tds, 1 int.
    Injury or no injury, Ben stunk it up in the first 2 games. Put a fork in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    35/62, 351 yards, 56.5 completion %, 0 tds, 1 int.
    Injury or no injury, Ben stunk it up in the first 2 games. Put a fork in him.
    Ouch. That's abysmal. Though, his supporting cast did him no favors, paticularly Moncrief.