Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020....1st rd to the phins

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm Good with this trade especially with Davis going to miss considerable time. You get a 22 year old Top 10-15 talent who took an NFL test drive. On top of that..got dolphins 4th which pencil in as a 3rd for someone who falls out of 3rd at Top of 4. Throw our 5th & still have a 5 Which will be Top of 5th same value as above. Honestly...The only way I see this as a bad trade is if the pick ends up inside Top 8.

Look..All they did is skip the podium in 2020 draft. Davis is gone & more then likely S would of been pick. Pick is in the 15-20 range worse case. They have confidence in MR & this tells me they feel BB will return. They were not drafting a franchise QB unless they had to being in Top 5 & they do not see themselves there. They need to slow teams down now keep points off board..Good Move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Lets NOT forget that Mike Hilton and Sean Davis are gone next year - I really don't see the Steelers picking in the Top 8 next year so I'm happy!
    I think they will find a way to keep Hilton on a team friendly deal. He is probably one of the more productive DBs. I do think Davis will be gone

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    We moved up to get Mason and we traded Dobbs. Mason looked better than any other QB who has relieved Ben except for Batch.... but Mason throws a much better ball.

Other players sound excited for Mason too.

Vance said there are no surprises with Mason.

DeCastro said there won’t be any drama. I wonder what that means? LOL

I had reservations about crowning Mason too early but he came in and looked like a leader.

I’m excited.
    Mason doesn't have Ben's arm, but he has insane touch on deep balls and has a knack for dropping balls in where only his guy can catch it.

I think people are going to be surprised that Mason might actually make Washington, Johnson, Moncrief, and Holton better quicker than Ben because all those guys have the speed to get open deep and Mason is going to more consistently drop catchable balls on them when they do.

Where Mason will struggle is throwing a 15 yard out to the opposite side of the field and some of those balls might float and get intercepted. I also see a little struggle with crisp passes in rain/wind like we are used to with Ben. It's all good though. We're just going to have to get used to them being slightly different QBs.

Another area that could create challenges is Ds will shorten the field they defend because Mason doesn't have Ben's arm strength. But on the flip side, I think we can become more efficient in the red zone and on a shorter field and it can be a wash. Maybe?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Mason doesn't have Ben's arm, but he has insane touch on deep balls and has a knack for dropping balls in where only his guy can catch it.

I think people are going to be surprised that Mason might actually make Washington, Johnson, Moncrief, and Holton better quicker than Ben because all those guys have the speed to get open deep and Mason is going to more consistently drop catchable balls on them when they do.

Where Mason will struggle is throwing a 15 yard out to the opposite side of the field and some of those balls might float and get intercepted. I also see a little struggle with crisp passes in rain/wind like we are used to with Ben. It's all good though. We're just going to have to get used to them being slightly different QBs.

Another area that could create challenges is Ds will shorten the field they defend because Mason doesn't have Ben's arm strength. But on the flip side, I think we can become more efficient in the red zone and on a shorter field and it can be a wash. Maybe?
    I think you will see Mason getting rid of the ball quicker and letting the WRs get YAC versus Ben holding the ball for big plays. It actually could make the offense more challenging to defend against.

It would be nice if we had a quality #2 TE to be an additional security blanket for MR

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think you will see Mason getting rid of the ball quicker and letting the WRs get YAC versus Ben holding the ball for big plays. It actually could make the offense more challenging to defend against.

It would be nice if we had a quality #2 TE to be an additional security blanket for MR
    We have Samuels that can play in an HBack role.

Starter

User Info Menu

Great trade. The problem still remains. Tomlin and Butler.
    I wonder how many other defenses, that are better than ours, have more 1st rounders.
    Can this defense stay together long enough for us to have all 11?

Legend

User Info Menu

+1...It is unbelieveable how some just want to complain. As stated he was the #11 player from last year's draft. We got the #10 from this year's. But yet some want to project a pick that they have no idea who it could be and complain. Just too many cry babies.
    What's the point of having a message board if you're just going to hit your knees and worship every move the team makes with no analysis or discussion?

Legend

User Info Menu

Bruce Arians hasn't been the OC for a long time. Ben threw more passes at or behind the line of scrimmage than any QB last year. But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm Good with this trade especially with Davis going to miss considerable time. You get a 22 year old Top 10-15 talent who took an NFL test drive. On top of that..got dolphins 4th which pencil in as a 3rd for someone who falls out of 3rd at Top of 4. Throw our 5th & still have a 5 Which will be Top of 5th same value as above. Honestly...The only way I see this as a bad trade is if the pick ends up inside Top 8.

Look..All they did is skip the podium in 2020 draft. Davis is gone & more then likely S would of been pick. Pick is in the 15-20 range worse case. They have confidence in MR & this tells me they feel BB will return. They were not drafting a franchise QB unless they had to being in Top 5 & they do not see themselves there. They need to slow teams down now keep points off board..Good Move.
    I like the trade better after seeing the fourth and fifth round picks flipped. Fitzpatrick is a great talent. The Steelers now have potentially 3 stars on defense. Watt is there, and Fitzpatrick and Bush have the potential to be there as well. With all the talent on defense, that unit has to show better results.

I still think this trade is a huge gamble on Mason Rudolph. It's also a gamble on Washington and/or Johnson stepping up and becoming a legit #2 WR. Yes, I understand that the Steelers have, in essence, already made their pick for next year and taken a sure fire talent. But the Steelers are going all-in on a team that has shown itself to be very limited offensively before losing a HOF quarterback. It's a huge gamble.

If the Steelers finish this season 8-8 or better (which seems ambitious as they are staring down a likely 0-3 start) this will be a big win. But if they end up with a top 10 pick next year, it might not look nearly as good.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great analysis philly

agree w all of it