Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020....1st rd to the phins

Legend

User Info Menu

this is the first time we traded away our 1st round pick since before the Chuck Knoll era...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    8 first round starters, 2 seconds and a 3rd. Throw in a couple more 1sts as backups.
    Yup, no talent to work with.
    Draft position is no guarantee of anticipated talent at the pro level. See the many vastly talented late rd or Undrafted players. Or the tons of 1st rd busts.
    Also many fans want Ben gone it sounds like. Well his fav coach BA is in Tampa and could roll the dice at draft time. BA needs a QB or 2.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    8 first round starters, 2 seconds and a 3rd. Throw in a couple more 1sts as backups.
    Yup, no talent to work with.
    Will you stop with your constant whining? Life cannot be this bad for you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    this is the first time we traded away our 1st round pick since before the Chuck Knoll era...
    Wow... told my wife (we are both 30 years old btw) that the Steelers never do this stuff.... didn’t realize it pre dates my conception!

Who was that trade for by the way?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Draft position is no guarantee of anticipated talent at the pro level. See the many vastly talented late rd or Undrafted players. Or the tons of 1st rd busts.
    Also many fans want Ben gone it sounds like. Well his fav coach BA is in Tampa and could roll the dice at draft time. BA needs a QB or 2.
    This is true. Simply because not all drafts are created with equal or simlar amounts of talent.

(This is for the trolls information)
    For example, a first round pick in 2017 might not be considered a first round pick if he were to wait until 2018 to enter the draft. That player might not get drafted until the 3rd round in 2018. Some drafts are just weak classes.

Teams generally have a majority of roster turnover every 4 or 5 seasons for different reasons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Ya...But we have him for 2 more years, plus an option..This signals the end for Davis
    its poor asset management. if the pick lands in the top 5, you can either draft a QB if Mason doesn't look like he can hack it, or if he shows he iss capable, hold the pick ransom for another QB starved team. we've seen lately what teams are willing to give up to get up that high.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    its poor asset management. if the pick lands in the top 5, you can either draft a QB if Mason doesn't look like he can hack it, or if he shows he iss capable, hold the pick ransom for another QB starved team. we've seen lately what teams are willing to give up to get up that high.
    but you are also assuming this team losses 12+ games. Even with Ben injured this team should be able to win 6-8 games IMO with a wild card upside of 9. But I’m also a homer and a bit buzzed. Sorry for getting a hard on for this defensive minded move lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    but you are also assuming this team losses 12+ games. Even with Ben injured this team should be able to win 6-8 games IMO with a wild card upside of 9. But I’m also a homer and a bit buzzed. Sorry for getting a hard on for this defensive minded move lol.
    Hey, I respect the upside that you see even thou I don’t agree that it will turn out the way you think.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    I hope to hell that's true

but lets look at the facts. we're 0-2, history shows a 90% of the teams that start out 0-2 don't make the playoffs.
    Mason will make his 1st career start next week.
    this defense has given up an over 70% completion rate in the first 2 weeks. that's not picking on 1 guy over and over. will 1 player improve that?

and I liked the way mason looked yesterday, and like fitzpatrick the player. But if they didn't look at the possible negative ramifications of this deal, then they're not doing their job correctly (big shock)

if they win 6-7 games and that pick is in the teens, then I'll have no problem with this deal. That's a big if right now

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    I hope to hell that's true

but lets look at the facts. we're 0-2, history shows a 90% of the teams that start out 0-2 don't make the playoffs.
    Mason will make his 1st career start next week.
    this defense has given up an over 70% completion rate in the first 2 weeks. that's not picking on 1 guy over and over. will 1 player improve that?

and I liked the way mason looked yesterday, and like fitzpatrick the player. But if they didn't look at the possible negative ramifications of this deal, then they're not doing their job correctly (big shock)

if they win 6-7 games and that pick is in the teens, then I'll have no problem with this deal. That's a big if right now
    Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. Great QBs in the first two games with a lot of new parts trying to figure there place.

All im saying is I’m optimistic and inspired about this team for some odd reason... even more so now with the acquisition of Minkah.