Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2020....1st rd to the phins

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was listening to espn radio, they metioned a stat that only 25% of first round picks end up signing a second contract. If that stat is true then this trade is without question a good deal, regardless of where the Steelers pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I was listening to espn radio, they metioned a stat that only 25% of first round picks end up signing a second contract. If that stat is true then this trade is without question a good deal, regardless of where the Steelers pick.
    I would have thought that number was higher.

It maybe puts the "all our D is 1st round picks" argument in a different perspective.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We are not one player away from solving our problems. Our defense is terrible by schemes. This guy isnít going to fix that.
    We are two coaches away maybe!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

It maybe puts the "all our D is 1st round picks" argument in a different perspective.
    Or you could argue out picks are the reason the rate is so low.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How many don't sign a 2nd contract simply b/c they're busts or have vastly underperformed?
    Teams have 5 yrs to determine - I can't think of any 1st Round pick for the Steelers who performed and didn't sign a Veteran Contract after their 5th year.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Draft is a crap shoot. Draft gurus love it because they think every first round draft pick is instant Hofer but that’s not the reality.

The reality is most of these guys aren’t going to pan out.

I think it’s always better to get a proven player than a draft pick. It’s more expensive but you know what you are getting.

Draft picks are exciting because you have a ton of college tape and hope he plays the same way in the pros but you never know.

It’s like starting a new business bs buying into a franchise. The news biz is probably more exciting but has a larger fail rate. A franchise usually has a much higher guarantee due to a proven biz model.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Or you could argue out picks are the reason the rate is so low.
    Maybe I misinterpreted the stat Wizard put out. I assumed that was 25% across the league (not just on the Steelers).

If it's just us and the league is much higher then I'd agree with your assessment (that scouting, decision making, and / or coaching is screwing up somewhere)
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    What about the 6th Round pick for Gilbert from AZ?
    That trade was made about a month-and-a-half prior to the 2019 draft, so that pick has already been used.

It got us Ulysses Gilbert.

So we traded one Gilbert and got ourselves a different Gilbert with that pick.

In other Marcus Gilbert news, he tore his ACL last week and the Cards placed him on I.R.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    it is , just like when Ruthless predicted Conner would never amount to a hill of beans
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

My 2 min. Check found in the last 20 yrs 1st rd players starting at least 80 gms; 257 out of 667 picks

The details might move that % lower, so it's plausible.