Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2020....1st rd to the phins

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If I thought the Steelers would be picking in the 20-32 range, I'd love this deal. But this could easily be a top 10-15 pick. I like this a lot less.
    So, if the Steelers draft at any position after 1.10 in 2020 they actually make out in this deal, the Dolphins drafted Fitzpatrick at 1.11. The Broncos drafted 10th last season and were 6-10, the Steelers are going to win more than 6 games this year. This team is not a dumpster fire. There's talent, some of it is young, but there's talent. Rudolph just needs to play within himself and not try to do too much. I like it, a known commodity, so the Steelers took their 2020 #1 pick 7 months early.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as Mason pans out, I'm going to like this trade. Don't we all complain about our porous secondary? Then complain when the organization makes a strong move to fix it? Now, if Mason is a slug then I will call for heads. And that's because this would have been the year to replace Ben. And the organization should know what they have in Mason. I think this trade and the cutting of Dobbs shows us exactly what the organization thinks they have in Mason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    So, if the Steelers draft at any position after 1.10 in 2020 they actually make out in this deal, the Dolphins drafted Fitzpatrick at 1.11. The Broncos drafted 10th last season and were 6-10, the Steelers are going to win more than 6 games this year. This team is not a dumpster fire. There's talent, some of it is young, but there's talent. Rudolph just needs to play within himself and not try to do too much. I like it, a known commodity, so the Steelers took their 2020 #1 pick 7 months early.

Pappy
    There's a couple ways I look at this.

1. 1st round draft picks are 50/50
    2. Minkah is 22 and we got him cheap for several more years
    3. There's arguably no better DB in college football this year. There's only 2 guys in the history of college football that had his level of success in Patrick Peterson and Charles Woodson. Minkah is very unique.
    4. Alabama produces great NFLers. According to their coach, Minkah is the best defensive player he's ever coached.
    5. There are a lot of people that argue he's the best slot CB in the game currently. He's so well rounded. He can play man, he can play zone, he's smart, he's hard working, and he's fearless and will make tackles.
    6. Even if we get a top 5 pick, Minkah is better than top 5 talent because he's a proven commodity, not 50/50.
    7. Is there a can't miss QB in this year's draft? I'm not sure there's anyone better than Mason. And the Steelers must have considered this as well.

Bottom line. Proven players are always worth more than draft picks which are never a given. Add in our track record of selecting DBs and it seems like people should love this move. And I think most will in time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quit trying to rationalize this move based on where he was drafted and where we might draft.
    That means nothing.
    Look at the proven talent acquired and what was given up for him.
    The guy is producing equal to or more than and early first round pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You should know better; one player can definitely change things, does Troy ring a bell?
    better hope he's at least close.

getting burned for 3 TDs vs. the ravens doesn't look good.

he also told miami he didn't want to play safety. either corner or slot corner.

and now we're playing him at free safety. is he going to like that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    better hope he's at least close.

getting burned for 3 TDs vs. the ravens doesn't look good.

he also told miami he didn't want to play safety. either corner or slot corner.

and now we're playing him at free safety. is he going to like that?
    NJ, I have to assume the Steelers had that discussion with him and he was OK with it. He doesn't want to play in the box because he is not that big. At FS, that shouldn't be an issue. The last thing the Steelers want is another malcontent. I give the Steelers FO a bit more credit on doing their homework before such a deal (doesn't always work out, aka Burnett, but I don't think they intentionally try to fleece a player).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    To sum up our 2020 draft as I see it right now (let me know if I'm missing anything here):

It appears that we still will have 7 picks overall right now (assuming that we do get the 3rd round comp pick for Bell).

Subtractions:
    Our 2020 first round pick now belongs to Miami as a part of the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade.
    Our 2020 third round pick now belongs to Denver as a part of the Devin Bush trade.

Additions:
    We should get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round as a result of Le'Veon Bell signing with the Jets.
    We received Jacksonville's 2020 fifth round pick in the Josh Dobbs trade.

Flip-flops:
    We get Miami's very early fourth round pick in 2020 in exchange for our fifth round pick in 2020.

Should look like this:
    #2 (PIT)
    #3 (COMP)
    #4 (MIA)
    #4 (PIT)
    #5 (JAX)
    #6 (PIT)
    #7 (PIT)

Do I have that right?
    That sounds right, but it could be wrong.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What about the 6th Round pick for Gilbert from AZ?
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    That sounds right, but it could be wrong.
    it is , just like when Ruthless predicted Conner would never amount to a hill of beans

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Quit trying to rationalize this move based on where he was drafted and where we might draft.
    That means nothing.
    Look at the proven talent acquired and what was given up for him.
    The guy is producing equal to or more than and early first round pick.
    I think this is true.

I think the only way we lose this trade is if we end up sucking and miss out on a franchise QB with the pick we traded.

Unfortunately, I think that the likelihood of that happening isn't negligible. I would have thought it was last week when Ben wasn't injured because even if he's regressing I don't think we're bad enough with him under center.

I wouldn't have placed this bet now because the downside is too costly / likely for me. I think I would have done it before Ben got hurt (but still felt bad about giving up a mid to late first round pick).

The lost year of a cheap deal isn't nothing, but if he's a probowl / all pro player I don't think it's too important (especially since we're generally good at resigning players we want to keep).

But, I'll still hope Mason leads us to at least a middling finish and it's a moot point.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-18-2019 at 05:50 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158