Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: long term implications of Ben injury

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Ben is elite as long as he has his arm strength.

The thing with Ben has always been he's elite because he has an elite God given arm. He never had to work like most others. And I'm not arguing he was lazy or didn't put in the work. Just making the point, he doesn't have to. I think the best illustration is the Jax game around the one hurricane. It was pouring rain. It was windy af. And Ben could still throw a ball on a rope.

Add in his size and general athleticism and he could always buy time to make a play enabling him to do things no other QB could.

Was he accurate? Did he read D's well? Did he make good decisions? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But Ben is so elite in his God given natural talent, you can live thru a 58 min sh!t show performance and he still can make a play at the end of a game and pull out a win.

He's been fun to watch and I think he'll actually be able to return. The question is really going to be is Mason so good that we don't want Ben back? I hope Mason makes that question impossible to answer.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Ben is elite as long as he has his arm strength.

The thing with Ben has always been he's elite because he has an elite God given arm. He never had to work like most others. And I'm not arguing he was lazy or didn't put in the work. Just making the point, he doesn't have to. I think the best illustration is the Jax game around the one hurricane. It was pouring rain. It was windy af. And Ben could still throw a ball on a rope.

Add in his size and general athleticism and he could always buy time to make a play enabling him to do things no other QB could.

Was he accurate? Did he read D's well? Did he make good decisions? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But Ben is so elite in his God given natural talent, you can live thru a 58 min sh!t show performance and he still can make a play at the end of a game and pull out a win.

He's been fun to watch and I think he'll actually be able to return. The question is really going to be is Mason so good that we don't want Ben back? I hope Mason makes that question impossible to answer.
    This could go south also. Mason plays great, Ben comes back and is the starter, Mason demands trade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    This could go south also. Mason plays great, Ben comes back and is the starter, Mason demands trade.
    and goes on to have a pro bowl type of career elsewhere... while we start a post bradshaw era type of search for Bens replacement

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    and goes on to have a pro bowl type of career elsewhere... while we start a post bradshaw era type of search for Bens replacement
    I really could see this happening. I think Rudolph will prove he can start in this league.
    Unless Ben flat out retires, he will be handed back the starting job.
    You can read into Rudolph's quotes that he feels he can be the guy. I don't see him being a good soldier and sit back a couple years waiting for Ben to retire.

Legend

User Info Menu

Best case scenario is that Mason plays well enough this season to earn the starting gig going forward, and we package Ben along with our 2nd round pick for Tampa's 1st round pick, after Arians realizes that Jameis Winston is not the answer. Ben and Bruce are reunited for a few more seasons in the sun, and we keep our 50+ year string of having a 1st round pick intact.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Best case scenario is that Mason plays well enough this season to earn the starting gig going forward, and we package Ben along with our 2nd round pick for Tampa's 1st round pick, after Arians realizes that Jameis Winston is not the answer. Ben and Bruce are reunited for a few more seasons in the sun, and we keep our 50+ year string of having a 1st round pick intact.
    All I know is someone is gonna get pissed.
    Ben( if Mason kills it and replaces him)
    Mason ( if he kills it and Ben comes back)
    Fans(if Mason is mediocre this year)
    This will be interesting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The flea flicker to JuJu was badly underthrown. Had Rudolph hit him anywhere close to stride he is still running. JuJu had to slow down to allow the DB to catch up. I'm not blaming MR, it was his first game and he got the completion after all, but it was not a great throw.

THAT IS TRUE, if JuJu doesn't turn around to look for it, its 20 yards under thrown.

ben's "tremendously bad ball" to holton went through his hands as he dived for it. not on target by any means but a hell of a lot better throw then mason's.
    As is often the case, the receiver coming up with a play dictates whether the QB throw was good enough

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    difference in age, salary and now injury history and I severely doubt that happens. as long as mason plays well.
    I think even Ben would realize that

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't think you are a hater per se, but I do think he is a better options than most NFL starting QBs when healthy. My hope? Is that Mason plays so well that its a moot point if Ben comes back. Either way, Ben is geriatric and is no longer an elite QB. I've been wanting us to groom his replacement for several years now. I hope Mason is that guy.
    what is the surgery he is having done? I've read its not TJ surgery

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    THAT IS TRUE, if JuJu doesn't turn around to look for it, its 20 yards under thrown.

ben's "tremendously bad ball" to holton went through his hands as he dived for it. not on target by any means but a hell of a lot better throw then mason's.
    As is often the case, the receiver coming up with a play dictates whether the QB throw was good enough
    point taken.... so lets counter that with the perfectly thrown ball that went through Moncriefs hands and ended up as a pick. Mason had a good game...