Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: long term implications of Ben injury

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

long term implications of Ben injury

Let's project this as the UCL (Tommy John) injury that it looks to be:

- Ben's career is likely done. 37 years old, Tommy John surgery, 2 Super Bowl titles, future HoF, insanely wealthy (232 Million+ career earnings so far), and a young family. No incentive to rehab and come back

- Salary cap is jacked. Ben has a 33.5M cap hit next year, with 2020 guaranteed for injury and part of 2021 also. Would be a 12.5M dead cap hit in 2021

- Good timing for the organization. Scapegoat now for a crappy season post AB and Bell if it happens

- A reboot is not necessarily a bad thing. Either Mason shines and we have a silver lining, or he sucks and they draft high and get an opportunity for a QB of the future

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That cap hit from Ben really stinks. Especially if he is in fact, done. Although his statement is paying good lip service to give hope that he truly is dedicated to rehabbing. But then again it’s been 24 hours. We will see as this thing progresses.

For now, I am oddly excited and nervously optimistic about the rest of this season. Really excited to see D. Bush grow and hopefully become better/great. The young guys in the WR room with mason throwing them the ball excites me too.

Hopefully come Sunday evening we are all happy after a win and a good showing from Rudolph.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    That cap hit from Ben really stinks. Especially if he is in fact, done. Although his statement is paying good lip service to give hope that he truly is dedicated to rehabbing. But then again it’s been 24 hours. We will see as this thing progresses.

For now, I am oddly excited and nervously optimistic about the rest of this season. Really excited to see D. Bush grow and hopefully become better/great. The young guys in the WR room with mason throwing them the ball excites me too.

Hopefully come Sunday evening we are all happy after a win and a good showing from Rudolph.

I'm very excited to see the Mason-Washington connection go to work

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is how poorly Ben throws a deep ball now - always too long, and often out of bounds and uncatchable. Watching other teams play, many other QBs seem a lot smoother going downfield. Hopefully Mason can do the same like he did with the flea flicker to JuJu

Legend

User Info Menu

its not just the deep ball.. ben was 2 for 12 on balls over 10 yards (up until late in the game) against the pats. Honestly... Rudolph is an upgrade at this point. We need a QB who works as hard as the rest of the team in practice. Ben seems to get more time off than hes on... and it shows

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    its not just the deep ball.. ben was 2 for 12 on balls over 10 yards (up until late in the game) against the pats. Honestly... Rudolph is an upgrade at this point. We need a QB who works as hard as the rest of the team in practice. Ben seems to get more time off than hes on... and it shows
    We are in the minority but I agree 100%.

Ben and his slow starts seem to get worse and worse each year.

Once he heats up we see results but without AB I just donít understand how you take so much time off with new WRís.

You would think Ben would really work to prove he could do it without AB but I didnít see the urgency.

Mustíve been hurt for a while.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    We are in the minority but I agree 100%.

Ben and his slow starts seem to get worse and worse each year.

Once he heats up we see results but without AB I just don’t understand how you take so much time off with new WR’s.

You would think Ben would really work to prove he could do it without AB but I didn’t see the urgency.

Must’ve been hurt for a while.
    i didnt see the urgency either...and it certainly showed

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I'm very excited to see the Mason-Washington connection go to work

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is how poorly Ben throws a deep ball now - always too long, and often out of bounds and uncatchable. Watching other teams play, many other QBs seem a lot smoother going downfield. Hopefully Mason can do the same like he did with the flea flicker to JuJu
    The flea flicker to JuJu was badly underthrown. Had Rudolph hit him anywhere close to stride he is still running. JuJu had to slow down to allow the DB to catch up. I'm not blaming MR, it was his first game and he got the completion after all, but it was not a great throw.

Speaking of that catch, don't know who noticed it but JuJu made a real veteran move on that catch. He slowed down to a point that he would have to jump to high point the ball instead of running a bit further to the spot and allowing the defender to get there too. This way the only way for the defender to get to the ball would have been to go through him, therefore JJSS was the only one who could get to it. It was actually a thing of beauty to see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The flea flicker to JuJu was badly underthrown. Had Rudolph hit him anywhere close to stride he is still running. JuJu had to slow down to allow the DB to catch up. I'm not blaming MR, it was his first game and he got the completion after all, but it was not a great throw.

Speaking of that catch, don't know who noticed it but JuJu made a real veteran move on that catch. He slowed down to a point that he would have to jump to high point the ball instead of running a bit further to the spot and allowing the defender to get there too. This way the only way for the defender to get to the ball would have been to go through him, therefore JJSS was the only one who could get to it. It was actually a thing of beauty to see.
    One of the hardest skills for rookie WRs to learn, use your body to shield the DB. In college, usually receptions are wide open and the receiver's only concern is YAC.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm excited for the Rudolph era. Hate how it happened but I do think he will be better than many expect

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

To Masons credit he was fully aware of his under throw in his interview today. I would suggest everyone go to steelers.com and watch his interview today in the locker room. 11 minutes of pure hunger and confidence. I really hope he shows us good things.