Thread: Time for Rudolph

Legend

User Info Menu

Friday, Sep 20, 2019 10:00 AM

'He works 24/7'

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Workaholic:

Mason Rudolph will make his first NFL start on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi Stadium, and offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner has confidence in the young signal caller for several reasons, one of them being his work ethic.

Rudolph is a football junkie, a guy who rarely shuts the football side of his mind down. It’s that approach that can be a huge benefit to Rudolph as he steps in to replace Ben Roethlisberger, who is out for the year with an elbow injury that will require surgery.

“He is a worker. An absolute worker. He works 24/7,” said Fichtner. “Sometimes I have to work hard to have a joke with him because he is just that serious. But that is a good thing. And I will work on my jokes, I am not that good at them. I don’t have good punch lines. But he is that kind of guy. He is that worker, it matters to him, and he cares. He listened as a solider and as a confidant with Ben. There is a lot of in-helmet perspective that he didn’t get in the year and a half he has been here, but I know he got a lot of it because he listens, and he pays attention. He works at his job. And he listened to Ben. That is part of the learning curve, too.”

Dreams do come true:

It’s not often that what you dream about as a kid often comes to fruition, but that is just the case for quarterback Paxton Lynch, who was signed to the Steelers practice squad this week.

Lynch, who has family in Gallitzin, Pa, would come to the area each summer and while it was all about visiting family, there was something special they always did.

“I was a big Steelers fan when I was younger,” said Lynch. “My dad’s mom (Irene) lived in Pennsylvania so we would come for family reunions in the summer. We would come to Steelers training camp. We would hang out after practice and get autographs from the guys. I grew up a big Steelers fan.

“It’s almost like a dream come true. As a kid you dream about playing in the NFL for your favorite team, and this is my favorite team. It’s a great opportunity to be here. The organization has been a pleasure so far.”

Lynch said he remembers watching his favorite players during practice, including a few quarterbacks – Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and later Ben Roethlisberger.

“I had a poster of Kordell Stewart on my wall. Kordell was the guy. A ‘Slash’ poster,” said Lynch. “I remember watching Tommy Maddox. I watched him in the XFL and then he came here. I remember coming to practice, watching Ben and all of those guys, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward.

“I have been a fan for a while. It’s crazy how life works sometimes. You never know what is going to happen. I am really thankful for this opportunity to be a part of this organization.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-works-24-7
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Why don’t you think it’s possible? After what we saw last week I don’t think it’s crazy to see Mason throwing early and often.

Nothing about Mason last week suggested we would need to be conservative throwing the ball.
    Is this to me?

I think it is possible, just not probable.

He's starting his 1st game in the NFL and by total minutes he's played maybe 3 whole preseason games and 1/2 of a real game.

Playing QB in the NFL is very, very difficult.

I think it's exceedingly rare that someone comes in a dominates right away with little experience.

I really, really, really hope I'm wrong and he's an outlier on the positive side. But, I want to see proof that he can do it because the majority of people that try to play QB in the NFL fail (and the vast majority don't excel).

*I added two of those "really"s after we made the Fitz pick.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

So it took Roethlisberger to be knocked out for the season for D Johnson to start?!?
    Guessing it's Switz that lost the hat.
    That's the part of a franchise QB that I don't like. Getting your favorite on the field even though it might not be best for the team.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-20-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So it took Roethlisberger to be knocked out for the season for D Johnson to start?!?
    I wonder if the trade for Fitz would have happened if Ben was still healthy.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

My apologies to Switz, seems obvious, Johnson is replacing Goodgrief per Depot.

Legend

User Info Menu

All 6 of the WR's on our roster (Holton, Johnson, Moncrief, Smith-Schuster, Switzer, and Washington) got hats for each of the first 2 games.

If any wideout were inactive for this game, though, I imagine that Moncrief would take a seat before Switzer.

Switzer hasn't dropped 5 passes, the last of which resulted in an INT.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that Roethlisberger is done, would really like to see the Steelers take this opportunity to re-emphasize the run game. I think they gave too much deference to the QB in the pass game. Please, please, please bring back the FB.. I know Nix is out but find somebody to play that role and use it!

Legend

User Info Menu

having rudolph at least opens up some options for us (being under center some) with the power run, playaction pass and screen game

Starter

User Info Menu

Now that Roethlisberger is done, would really like to see the Steelers take this opportunity to re-emphasize the run game. I think they gave too much deference to the QB in the pass game. Please, please, please bring back the FB.. I know Nix is out but find somebody to play that role and use it!
    They were giving Sutton Smith some reps there in the preseason, iirc. Guess its too late to get him in the game this week tho. Maybe Benny Snail, can play FB

Legend

User Info Menu

I was re-watching Rudolf from last week. I really like his fake hand off on play action. I think it's so good that it could be a key to getting us a couple big plays or even a couple scores today.