Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Time for Rudolph

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Teams are going to stake the line against Mason until he proves he can pass to open up the run game...they will stop a lot of runs...we better not show them we are scared to pass.....
    I think we come out slinging. Let him get comfortable and then sprinkle in the run.

I think folks are really underestimated how good Mason is at tossing the rock.

I had my doubts but he squashed them with his play last week. There will be growing pains but the kid didn’t flinch or look rattled at all.

I think we played 2 of the best teams this year already so I expect our play to improve.

The article above said Ben plays “dumb” and it’s true, he has a sandlot style that’s hard to defend but it’s also hard to play WITH if you aren’t in sync with his style of play. I don’t think our WR’s are familiar enough with Ben for it to work.

Vance even said Mason isn’t going to surprise you which sounded to me like it’s a relief to know you can run your route and expect the ball to be at the spot vs pointing and pump faking and freestyling.

Again, when you had AB, Heath, Santonio you can do that and have tons of success because they were in sync with Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    If Ben prefers sandlot route running, then how does that make him an exponentially better QB?

Big arm, could make a the throws AND he was at his best extended plays after contact.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rudolph is good, but is he Gardner-Minshew-good?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Teams are going to stake the line against Mason until he proves he can pass to open up the run game...they will stop a lot of runs...we better not show them we are scared to pass.....
    I think we'll run a bunch of PA passes to try to catch teams cheating on the run.

Something that we don't really do with Ben.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Big arm, could make a the throws AND he was at his best extended plays after contact.
    And @%$#ing fearless. No problem getting destroyed to make a play.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think we come out slinging. Let him get comfortable and then sprinkle in the run.

I think folks are really underestimated how good Mason is at tossing the rock.

I had my doubts but he squashed them with his play last week. There will be growing pains but the kid didn’t flinch or look rattled at all.

I think we played 2 of the best teams this year already so I expect our play to improve.

The article above said Ben plays “dumb” and it’s true, he has a sandlot style that’s hard to defend but it’s also hard to play WITH if you aren’t in sync with his style of play. I don’t think our WR’s are familiar enough with Ben for it to work.

Vance even said Mason isn’t going to surprise you which sounded to me like it’s a relief to know you can run your route and expect the ball to be at the spot vs pointing and pump faking and freestyling.

Again, when you had AB, Heath, Santonio you can do that and have tons of success because they were in sync with Ben.
    If he can handle it, that would be an awesome game plan (super ballsy though). Like Ben's first AFCC win against the Broncos.

God it would be awesome to have a game like that (if it worked).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why don’t you think it’s possible? After what we saw last week I don’t think it’s crazy to see Mason throwing early and often.

Nothing about Mason last week suggested we would need to be conservative throwing the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Rudolph is good, but is he Gardner-Minshew-good?
    Mason needs to up his mustache game...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And @%$#ing fearless. No problem getting destroyed to make a play.
    I get the sense that Mason is fearless in the pocket too. And he put his head down to get a fist down on his one scramble between 2 LBs.

I really think the only thing Mason doesn't have is the cannon for an arm. But he has a good enough arm. He just has to be a little more careful on the 15 yard outs, especially from the opposite hash.

But I think he can make up for it with his touch on longer passes and his preparation/anticipation.

I don't think Mason will make the other worldly plays Ben makes from time to time. But he can be more consistent and he can play better than Ben in the RedZone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Vance is going to continue to get more looks with Mason.