Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of rape... sorta

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    I don't really put much into Sanders', Bell's or AB's opinions. Especially after they left. All was good while they were here and being productive. And why is it that Brady and Peyton can verbally abuse their teammates on the sideline and Baker Mayfield can call out Duke Johnson in the media and they are called great leaders? But Ben is vocal and calls out a guy and its a problem?
    I don't know that Mayfield has been called a great leader yet.

I've never heard Brady or Peyton call out any specific person to the media like Ben has. Fired up on the sidelines in the heat of battle is a lot different than in the media.

I'm not saying Ben deserves to have his image tarnished forever. I think he's probably a good father, husband and guy overall. But he's never been good at helping himself with his image.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't know that Mayfield has been called a great leader yet.

I've never heard Brady or Peyton call out any specific person to the media like Ben has. Fired up on the sidelines in the heat of battle is a lot different than in the media.

I'm not saying Ben deserves to have his image tarnished forever. I think he's probably a good father, husband and guy overall. But he's never been good at helping himself with his image.
    I specifically remember some in the media saying Baker was becoming a leader and the Duke Johnson thing was an example of that.

Different, yes. But yelling at grown men on national television is a good thing? Something a great leader does?

He's definitely not good at helping his image. But like I said earlier, I think he's pretty much resigned himself to the fact that there isn't much he can do to salvage it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It doesn't help that people keep piling on Ben. Sanders called him out as a poor leader. Bell called Ben out as being a problem. Brown called him out as having an owner mentality. There's been stories for years that many in the locker room didn't like Ben, especially early on. Ben calls out his own players in the media and nd he just doesn't come off as having a warm-fuzzy personality in interviews. All that adds up to people just generally not liking him.
    This.
    Generally, Ben is considered to be a douche and just "very good", but, not an all-time great. Those other guys were considered "winners". Kobe, while an ******* on the court, it was all taken as "Mamba"... off the court, he's generally considered likeable. Ray has done a lot of damage control as a motivational speaker... meanwhile, Ben continues to be a douche.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

He's definitely not good at helping his image. But like I said earlier, I think he's pretty much resigned himself to the fact that there isn't much he can do to salvage it.
    Once they've created a South Park character for you, it's awfully tough to rehabilitate your image.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

How much of it is racially motivated?
    Every example given so far has a black guy saying crap about a white guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Once they've created a South Park character for you, it's awfully tough to rehabilitate your image.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    This.
    Generally, Ben is considered to be a douche and just "very good", but, not an all-time great. Those other guys were considered "winners". Kobe, while an ******* on the court, it was all taken as "Mamba"... off the court, he's generally considered likeable. Ray has done a lot of damage control as a motivational speaker... meanwhile, Ben continues to be a douche.
    Besides calling out AB, which he said he wished he hadn't done, what douchebaggery has he continued to do?

Ben has had a program of donating police service dogs and dog safety vests for years. Does anyone ever hear anything about that?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I specifically remember some in the media saying Baker was becoming a leader and the Duke Johnson thing was an example of that.

Different, yes. But yelling at grown men on national television is a good thing? Something a great leader does?

Sideline yelling is part of the game. I’ve never had an issue with that. Anyone who has played sports knows you can cuss each other out on the sidelines and then be best friends on the next series if you score a TD.

IMO it’s when the dust settles and you are in a controlled environment and you throw teammates under the bus by name? That’s different.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't really put much into Sanders', Bell's or AB's opinions. Especially after they left. All was good while they were here and being productive. And why is it that Brady and Peyton can verbally abuse their teammates on the sideline and Baker Mayfield can call out Duke Johnson in the media and they are called great leaders? But Ben is vocal and calls out a guy and its a problem?
    You don’t... but others do. LOL.

When you have multiple players all saying the same thing I doubt they are lying. Hell, even Ben admitted he wasn’t the best teammate and leader so why wouldn’t these accounts be true?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just my opinion but i think it's a combination of things. Started with the Motorcycle accident (2006) with no helmet after it'd been reported Cowher told him not to ride the bike without one and Bradshaw reported on national TV he'd advised Ben to "ride when you retire". He came off looking like an arrogant, not so bright jock.

I also think he didn't help himself by really buying into the "Big Ben" persona. He's admitted as much that it was a bad look. There were lots of posts back in the old Triblive board day from people who were in Pgh or knew people there who saw him out and about acting like a douche.

Then you had the 2009 incident in Tahoe. Beyond sketchy and a total money grab, but it was out there. I think it was a total lie, but it fit the 'Big Ben' narrative so people believed it.

But worse was that it wasn't even a year later (2010) when the Milledgeville incident went down. That story had some serious holes (and living in GA: I promise that little podunk town DA was DYING to take him to court but admitted in a press conference there wasn't evidence). With that said, the optics on that one were atrocious. Did he learn nothing from only 1 year ago? Why was a famous 28 man in a college town hitting on college girls and trying to get them drunk - super creepy. Again, dumb jock mentality. I don't think the Steelers did him any publicity favors either by insisting on a 6 game (down to 4) suspension. You have a ton of people who don't follow as closely and only see suspended and equate that to guilt.

Add in, that at the time (2004 - 2010) the Steelers were insanely successful so there was a lot of hate towards them and the QB. 15-1, 3 SBs (2-1), 3 time Conference champs. When his behavior made the news; it became an easy way to go after him and the Steelers. Hard to knock their play so "Rapelisberger" was a quick and easy way to try and knock them down. It stuck.
    Last edited by Ghost; 09-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.