Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of rape... sorta

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Speaking of rape... sorta

I've always wondered why Ben is and always will be associated with the rape accusations. But Kobe Bryant who was arrested and went to trial (case was dropped after she refused to testify) is NEVER associated with his case? He's on ESPN, commercials, Nickelodeon Kid's Choice awards, etc. I have nothing against Kobe. Just wondering why there is such a difference in how they are portrayed.

For example - there could be a social media post about Ben saving a drowning puppy. Most comments will be positive but they'll be at least one (and usually more) that will say something like "So did Ben rape the puppy??"

Ben never made another commercial. And his reputation is forever ruined.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think many of those negative comments about Ben on social media are from fans of other teams that hate the Steelers. It's not unlike what I see about Ray Lewis and murder accusations.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think many of those negative comments about Ben on social media are from fans of other teams that hate the Steelers. It's not unlike what I see about Ray Lewis and murder accusations.
    Agreed. But Ben, unlike Kobe and Ray Lewis (as you mentioned) has never had any other opportunities (endorsements, etc.) outside of football. And even on sports talk radio he still gets a bad rap. Specifically the Michael Kay Show where they refer to Ben as "A bad guy". I've tried to call in and ask them why. Haven't gotten through yet. I think most people believe Ben was arrested, went on trial, etc. Too lazy to look at the actual facts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Agreed. But Ben, unlike Kobe and Ray Lewis (as you mentioned) has never had any other opportunities (endorsements, etc.) outside of football. And even on sports talk radio he still gets a bad rap. Specifically the Michael Kay Show where they refer to Ben as "A bad guy". I've tried to call in and ask them why. Haven't gotten through yet. I think most people believe Ben was arrested, went on trial, etc. Too lazy to look at the actual facts.
    Ray and Kobe did the apology tour and probably hired people to help them repair their image.

Also, the Georgia incident really didn’t help Ben at all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Kobe still gets heat from time to time.

The difference is Ben had a second incident in a broom closet.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Kobe still gets heat from time to time.

The difference is Ben had a second incident in a broom closet.
    Well, bathroom stall at a club but... my point that no one really looks at or knows the facts. Not saying I know exactly what happened. Just know what was reported.

Kobe might get heat. But his reputation is not as bad as Ben's.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Well, bathroom stall at a club but... my point that no one really looks at or knows the facts. Not saying I know exactly what happened. Just know what was reported.

Kobe might get heat. But his reputation is not as bad as Ben's.
    It doesn't help that people keep piling on Ben. Sanders called him out as a poor leader. Bell called Ben out as being a problem. Brown called him out as having an owner mentality. There's been stories for years that many in the locker room didn't like Ben, especially early on. Ben calls out his own players in the media and nd he just doesn't come off as having a warm-fuzzy personality in interviews. All that adds up to people just generally not liking him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It doesn't help that people keep piling on Ben. Sanders called him out as a poor leader. Bell called Ben out as being a problem. Brown called him out as having an owner mentality. There's been stories for years that many in the locker room didn't like Ben, especially early on. Ben calls out his own players in the media and nd he just doesn't come off as having a warm-fuzzy personality in interviews. All that adds up to people just generally not liking him.
    Manny Sanders also hinted that Ben wasn’t a hard worker in practice.

Didn’t Ben change his hometown because of the way people were talking about him back home? They said he “changed” but then he corrected or made amends with it and changed it back.

Ben reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. That piece that came out about Rodgers and how he treated teammates and coaches and doesn’t talk to his immediate family really seems odd.

Some guys are great at football but horrible at communication. I think Ben is one of those people.

Like when Ben said he called Santonio after he was drafted and Santonio said he never got the call. IMO there was no need to even put that in the news. Just eat that and say you haven’t talked to him yet.

Those type of incidents are passive aggressive and end up making players not like or trust you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Manny Sanders also hinted that Ben wasn’t a hard worker in practice.

Didn’t Ben change his hometown because of the way people were talking about him back home? They said he “changed” but then he corrected or made amends with it and changed it back.

Ben reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. That piece that came out about Rodgers and how he treated teammates and coaches and doesn’t talk to his immediate family really seems odd.

Some guys are great at football but horrible at communication. I think Ben is one of those people.

Like when Ben said he called Santonio after he was drafted and Santonio said he never got the call. IMO there was no need to even put that in the news. Just eat that and say you haven’t talked to him yet.

Those type of incidents are passive aggressive and end up making players not like or trust you.
    Ben, like many young athletes who have been idolized and treated like gods since they were kids, had an attitude problem. I remember after the Georgia incident that his Dad brought him home and finally explained to him what was appropriate behavior as a professional and as a man. Ben became more involved with his church and to this day, speaks about his faith. I think at this point, Ben feels there is nothing he can do to fix his rep. He lives his life as a good father, husband and son and tries not to let this stuff get to him.

And to my original point, I just saw NFL Memes post a pic of AB on the phone. The caption reads, "Hi Big Ben, it's Antonio, remember me? I need some advice with a little situation I'm in..."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This.
    Generally, Ben is considered to be a douche and just "very good", but, not an all-time great. Those other guys were considered "winners". Kobe, while an ******* on the court, it was all taken as "Mamba"... off the court, he's generally considered likeable. Ray has done a lot of damage control as a motivational speaker... meanwhile, Ben continues to be a douche.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!