Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of rape... sorta

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Just my opinion but i think it's a combination of things. Started with the Motorcycle accident (2006) with no helmet after it'd been reported Cowher told him not to ride the bike without one and Bradshaw reported on national TV he'd advised Ben to "ride when you retire". He came off looking like an arrogant, not so bright jock.

I also think he didn't help himself by really buying into the "Big Ben" persona. He's admitted as much that it was a bad look. There were lots of posts back in the old Triblive board day from people who were in Pgh or knew people there who saw him out and about acting like a douche.

Then you had the 2009 incident in Tahoe. Beyond sketchy and a total money grab, but it was out there. I think it was a total lie, but it fit the 'Big Ben' narrative so people believed it.

But worse was that it wasn't even a year later (2010) when the Milledgeville incident went down. That story had some serious holes (and living in GA: I promise that little podunk town DA was DYING to take him to court but admitted in a press conference there wasn't evidence). With that said, the optics on that one were atrocious. Did he learn nothing from only 1 year ago? Why was a famous 28 man in a college town hitting on college girls and trying to get them drunk - super creepy. Again, dumb jock mentality. I don't think the Steelers did him any publicity favors either by insisting on a 6 game (down to 4) suspension. You have a ton of people who don't follow as closely and only see suspended and equate that to guilt.

Add in, that at the time (2004 - 2010) the Steelers were insanely successful so there was a lot of hate towards them and the QB. 15-1, 3 SBs (2-1), 3 time Conference champs. When his behavior made the news; it became an easy way to go after him and the Steelers. Hard to knock their play so "Rapelisberger" was a quick and easy way to try and knock them down. It stuck.
    All solid points and some that I actually touched on in my earlier replies. But I'd argue that Kobe was as successful, if not more. Sure maybe he was more likable as a human being. But does being likable excuse rape? Or the accusation of rape?

Bottom line is I have a son. Like most fathers, there is a TON of things in his future that scare me to death. Drugs, alcohol, heartbreak, depression, failure, success and how he handles it, etc. Then there's the fact that a woman can have consensual sex with him, regret it and cry rape. Even if it is completely false, his reputation and potentially his future could be destroyed. Now I'm not saying Ben is innocent. I wasn't there. But what if he is innocent? Even if he was the biggest A-Hole to ever play qb for the Steelers, does that mean he deserves to have his reputation ruined forever?

I've been bringing my son to Ben's camp for about 6 years now. I see how he interacts with the children and especially my kid. I see how he is with his own children. Is it all an act? Is he doing it for the cameras? I hope not.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    You don’t... but others do. LOL.

When you have multiple players all saying the same thing I doubt they are lying. Hell, even Ben admitted he wasn’t the best teammate and leader so why wouldn’t these accounts be true?
    So you don't believe it when AB said for YEARS how fortunate he was to play with a player of Ben's caliber? But you do believe him when it's blatantly obvious he wants to create mega-drama to force his release? And then did it again. Ok. LOL right back at ya.
    Last edited by rpmpit; 09-11-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    All solid points and some that I actually touched on in my earlier replies. But I'd argue that Kobe was as successful, if not more. Sure maybe he was more likable as a human being. But does being likable excuse rape? Or the accusation of rape?

Bottom line is I have a son. Like most fathers, there is a TON of things in his future that scare me to death. Drugs, alcohol, heartbreak, depression, failure, success and how he handles it, etc. Then there's the fact that a woman can have consensual sex with him, regret it and cry rape. Even if it is completely false, his reputation and potentially his future could be destroyed. Now I'm not saying Ben is innocent. I wasn't there. But what if he is innocent? Even if he was the biggest A-Hole to ever play qb for the Steelers, does that mean he deserves to have his reputation ruined forever?

I've been bringing my son to Ben's camp for about 6 years now. I see how he interacts with the children and especially my kid. I see how he is with his own children. Is it all an act? Is he doing it for the cameras? I hope not.
    I hear what you're saying. But unless your son becomes a multi-millionaire in his 20's, the likelihood of someone crying rape after consensual sex is pretty rare I think. And plenty of millionaires go through life without any accusation. If you're teaching your son to treat people with respect, most often, he'll get that respect in return. I don't think Ben raped anyone. But I think he treated both women who accused him, in a less than respectful way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I hear what you're saying. But unless your son becomes a multi-millionaire in his 20's, the likelihood of someone crying rape after consensual sex is pretty rare I think. And plenty of millionaires go through life without any accusation. If you're teaching your son to treat people with respect, most often, he'll get that respect in return. I don't think Ben raped anyone. But I think he treated both women who accused him, in a less than respectful way.
    Just watched a 20/20 about a high school kid who had sex with a girl at a party. The next day some of her friends convinced her she was raped because she was drinking. No evidence of rape. Just a he said/she said. He was ultimately cleared but his reputation and future where in the crapper. This happened during his senior year so while his focus should have been on college, it was instead on fighting to prove his innocence and stay out of prison. So it does happen to normal folks too. Not just mulit-millionaires.

But yes, raise our kids to treat people with respect and not be jerks. That is definitely a good start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just watched a 20/20 about a high school kid who had sex with a girl at a party. The next day some of her friends convinced her she was raped because she was drinking. No evidence of rape. Just a he said/she said. He was ultimately cleared but his reputation and future where in the crapper. This happened during his senior year so while his focus should have been on college, it was instead on fighting to prove his innocence and stay out of prison. So it does happen to normal folks too. Not just mulit-millionaires.

But yes, raise our kids to treat people with respect and not be jerks. That is definitely a good start.
    It is a scary situation. I try to teach my daugher to never put herself in a compromising situation. But you can't protect them from everything.
    Kids make mistakes. Hell, adults make mistakes. You just have to hope and pray the mistakes aren't made with the wrong people.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think...The only difference is because there were TWO accusations against Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Besides calling out AB, which he said he wished he hadn't done, what douchebaggery has he continued to do?

Ben has had a program of donating police service dogs and dog safety vests for years. Does anyone ever hear anything about that?
    Called out AB, yes. Pretty sure Bell said similar stuff about Ben... Manny Sanders was critical of how it was with Ben vs Peyton Manning... He was also critical of Ben calling out AB... Doesn't sound like he was ever a fan.
    All these lead to "not a leader" (and a douche). As pointed out 2 rape charges... where there's smoke...

Although, he very often after the game in interviews would say the "right" thing, even when yer like, "how'd he come up with that one?"

*Line gives up 6 sacks* - "I'd like to thank these guys for working hard and giving me all the time they could against this amazing defense"
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 09-11-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dude, some serial killers were great with kids. Ted Bundy fooled his GF into thinking he was a nice guy.

My point, just because Ben is good with kids doesn’t mean he was good with women when no one else was around.

Some people, especially athletes, have a hard time treating women like actual ladies because they see so many throw themselves at athletes.

I have no idea what Ben did or didn’t do but when he is at camp he is working. You would never see him treat a woman at camp like he would at a club back when his ego was out of control.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Called out AB, yes. Pretty sure Bell said similar stuff about Ben... Manny Sanders was critical of how it was with Ben vs Peyton Manning... He was also critical of Ben calling out AB... Doesn't sound like he was ever a fan.
    All these lead to "not a leader" (and a douche). As pointed out 2 rape charges... where there's smoke...

Although, he very often after the game in interviews would say the "right" thing, even when yer like, "how'd he come up with that one?"

*Line gives up 6 sacks* - "I'd like to thank these guys for working hard and giving me all the time they could against this amazing defense"

QB’s always get OL gifts every year for Christmas. QB’s never get their WR’s gifts. There is a reason for that.

I think it was Sanders or another WR who said they didn’t criticize Ben because he throws them the ball.

He would be a fool to bash the guys who can get him killed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Some people, especially athletes, have a hard time treating women like actual ladies because they see so many throw themselves at athletes.
    i actually told a friend today, based on what i'm hearing in the AB stuff, i see some "me too" happening here with him... the behavior was SO disrespectful (text, back deposits, etc), that it just sounds like someone who perpetually treats women like crap.

And this was a trainer, technically, someone you "needed". I see big trouble coming here.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville