Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Rice: Antonio Brown 'played' everyone, wanted to go to New England Patriots all

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Not sure how the Pats are the problem though. All they do is wait for teams to foolishly release players.
    What if they didn't just wait?

What if the cheaters were in contact with Rosenhaus all summer long and finally reached an informal agreement with him, saying that if AB finds his way off the Raiders, they'll pay $15M on a 1 year deal with a $9M signing bonus and a reasonable option for $20M in 2020.

Do you consider that to be a problem?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

What if the cheaters were in contact with Rosenhaus all summer long and finally reached an informal agreement with him, saying that if AB finds his way off the Raiders, they'll pay $15M on a 1 year deal with a $9M signing bonus and a reasonable option for $20M in 2020.

If something like that could be proven, it sounds like tampering to me. I'm pretty sure that would be against the NFL's CBA.

But, there would (1) need to be evidence and (2) the league would need to not turn a blind eye / destroy the evidence.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Rosenhaus is providing the intelligence. I'd like to know how Brown was accepted into Central Michigan. At the very least, don't you have to be able to spell your name on the application?

Pappy
    I knew a guy in a highly ranked tennis program in the US.

He said that there were classes in he took for athletes, where if you weren't able to read the test a TA would come by and read it to you (emphasizing the correct answer).

I'm sure that's pretty common place for sports that make money (like football and basketball).

It's why I think they should have those sports split off and be minor leagues where players get paid (instead of forcing them to subsidize the sports people don't really follow).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    If something like that could be proven, it sounds like tampering to me. I'm pretty sure that would be against the NFL's CBA.

But, there would (1) need to be evidence and (2) the league would need to not turn a blind eye / destroy the evidence.
    I think it would be tampering as well. And I agree about the evidence. I think a whistle blower would need to come forward with information.

But would anyone be surprised if this were true? We're talking about an org that will do anything to win. I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft himself was in contact with Rosenhaus over the summer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

If you can prove it then sure...

but I’m willing to bet this is common practice among most NFL teams.

Teams “talk” to agents all the time. I doubt t there is any way to prove it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I knew a guy in a highly ranked tennis program in the US.

He said that there were classes in he took for athletes, where if you weren't able to read the test a TA would come by and read it to you (emphasizing the correct answer).

I'm sure that's pretty common place for sports that make money (like football and basketball).

It's why I think they should have those sports split off and be minor leagues where players get paid (instead of forcing them to subsidize the sports people don't really follow).
    I get that athletes get special treatment. But wow, it's just amazing to me that someone can actually get through life blithering like that. There should be some realistic, minimum level of writing required to get into college.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    If you can prove it then sure...

but I’m willing to bet this is common practice among most NFL teams.

Teams “talk” to agents all the time. I doubt t there is any way to prove it.
    Yes, I get that it's difficult, if not impossible, to prove (unless an insider blows the whistle). But you wrote, "
    Not sure how the Pats are the problem though.
    ".

They are a problem if they tampered like this. And history shows that they are more than willing to bend the rules.

And making an offer that tempts a player to go AWOL in attempt to get cut, after he was traded for with draft picks, is a special kind of "teams talking" to agents all the time.
    Last edited by Eich; 09-11-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Still not sure why Drew Rosenhaus would be the brains behind the operation to get AB out of Oakland and into NE.

Simple math says that Drew's agent cut from negotiating a multi-year guaranteed money extension with Oakland would have been much higher than his cut from negotiating a one-year prove-it deal with NE that was only partially guaranteed.

Rosenhaus is all about making money for himself.

Drew would have more money in his pockets right now if AB were playing in Oakland right now rather than in NE.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Still not sure why Drew Rosenhaus would be the brains behind the operation to get AB out of Oakland and into NE.

Simple math says that Drew's agent cut from negotiating a multi-year guaranteed money extension with Oakland would have been much higher than his cut from negotiating a one-year prove-it deal with NE that was only partially guaranteed.

Rosenhaus is all about making money for himself.

Drew would have more money in his pockets right now if AB were playing in Oakland right now rather than in NE.
    Exactly.
    Brown simply could have talked/acted his way out of Pittsburgh.
    If New England wanted him SOOOO bad that they would go thru all this and risk getting busted (or not getting him), they would have just offered Pittsburgh a first rounder for him. Which for them is a second rounder and they have no problem finding talent in later rounds or thru FA.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Exactly.
    Brown simply could have talked/acted his way out of Pittsburgh.
    If New England wanted him SOOOO bad that they would go thru all this and risk getting busted (or not getting him), they would have just offered Pittsburgh a first rounder for him. Which for them is a second rounder and they have no problem finding talent in later rounds or thru FA.
    You underestimate the Patriots.