Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben & the receivers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben & the receivers

Ben was saying during training camp that he really found love for the game again. But Sunday night, I didn't see any fire in him. And the timing with his receivers was a mess.

Sanders thinks he'll retire before the end of the season. I doubt that. But it did seem to me like Ben's head wasn't really in the game. He also - by his comments - seems to be in awe of Brady and I wonder if he just can't play well in Boston? Whatever the reasons, I hope we see more fire from Ben.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201909090096

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTime
    “I’m going to go on record to say, I don’t think Big Ben will finish the season,” Sanders said to a “whoa” from host Chris Rose. “I think mentally, physically, something’s going to shut down. Because what I saw today was a lackluster effort by the offense, the defense, by the coaching staff, by everyone.

“And he seemed not engaged. There was no big-play ability. No running game. Nothing ever got going offensively, and he seemed disinterested. And we’ve all heard the murmurs of Big Ben saying. ‘I would like to retire.’ The way they played today, a couple more of those games, I think that would happen.”
    I agree with the "seemed not engaged" comment. Seriously doubt retirement during the season is likely but something needs to light a spark. We don't see much of the discussions on the sidelines but was anyone fired up? There wasn't a single offensive play Sunday that made me remotely close to cheering. It was the most silent, straight-faced game as a fan I've watched in a long time.

If someone had paid them all to throw that game, that's the kind of performance you'd expect to see. Sad.

Watching Brees bring the Saints back last night in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. There was fire and passion and intense discussions with his receivers on the sideline. The ball had zip and he threw with authority. There seemed to be a plan to get receivers open and things finally started clicking well in the second half. We saw none of that in our Sunday night game.
    Last edited by Eich; 09-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Ben was saying during training camp that he really found love for the game again. But Sunday night, I didn't see any fire in him. And the timing with his receivers was a mess.

Sanders thinks he'll retire before the end of the season. I doubt that. But it did seem to me like Ben's head wasn't really in the game. He also - by his comments - seems to be in awe of Brady and I wonder if he just can't play well in Boston? Whatever the reasons, I hope we see more fire from Ben.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201909090096
    Sanders is a fool. How are all 3 phases of the game Ben's fault? All 3 phases played poorly Sunday night. (as well as a piss poor effort by the coaching staff to have them prepared)

There's been no continuity with #7 and his new WR's so far. Practice will only take you so far. As usual, September will be a lackluster month for them. they'll be lucky to go 2-2 to get in to October. Look for a bounce back performance against Seattle. Home crowd will do wonders.

NFL put them in a fix by taking them to NE for the 1st game.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Sanders is a fool. How are all 3 phases of the game Ben's fault? All 3 phases played poorly Sunday night. (as well as a piss poor effort by the coaching staff to have them prepared)

There's been no continuity with #7 and his new WR's so far. Practice will only take you so far. As usual, September will be a lackluster month for them. they'll be lucky to go 2-2 to get in to October. Look for a bounce back performance against Seattle. Home crowd will do wonders.

Sanders gets paid to say things like that. But he's not wrong about Ben looking disinterested. He's not wrong about a lackluster performance. I'm sure Ben wasn't disinterested but it still looked that way.

Yeah, going to NE for the first game sux. But with all offseason to prepare, I expect to see some level of creativity on offense. Not a single touchdown? 3 points? That's just apalling.

No use of the tight end? A guy that was dominating last year? Hurry up offense? QB sneak? Something to fire the team up? They all looked like they were going through the motions, expecting to have their a$$ handed to them.
    Last edited by Eich; 09-10-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Eh, maybe I'm a Ben Homer, but if you look at his 276 passing and add the yards and tds that were dropped, he finishes around 33 for 47 with 300 + and 2 tds.
    Not too many haters could blame the QB for helping lose the game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's probably fair to point out that they have a pretty difficult schedule before the bye and many were predicting about 500 before seeing the tire fire on Sunday.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben wasn't prepared to play. He had a preseason that didn't prepare him to play. Then Tomlin said the team wasn't prepared to play. Who's responsibility is it to have the team prepared to play?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Watching Brees bring the Saints back last night in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. There was fire and passion and intense discussions with his receivers on the sideline. The ball had zip and he threw with authority. There seemed to be a plan to get receivers open and things finally started clicking well in the second half. We saw none of that in our Sunday night game.
    Every time i watch Brees, I'm pissed that we didn't take him... wanted that guy in that draft. (yes, and I publicly said on discussion boards back then, "i know Vick will go #1, but, Brees will be the best QB in that class")
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Eh, maybe I'm a Ben Homer, but if you look at his 276 passing and add the yards and tds that were dropped, he finishes around 33 for 47 with 300 + and 2 tds.
    Not too many haters could blame the QB for helping lose the game.
    if you look at his horrible decision making - holding for what felt like 2 minutes until he was hit from behind to fumble (thank the o-line for recovering) a few just chucked balls on 3rd and short when "just move the chains" was the right pass... it wasn't one of his better performances, even with the drops. and i love the guy, but, he didn't make a lot of good decisions.

the flip of that, is there were a couple of times where he scrambled and the entire WR corps just stood there. That's where he'll miss AB most. He'd go get open during scrambles.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So, he had returning guys of JuJu, Vance, Washington and Switzer. but, this is all because of timing with Moncrief? Dude, #7 just struggled. That's ok - i think he'll bounce back. But, call a spade a spade on this one.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Every time i watch Brees, I'm pissed that we didn't take him... wanted that guy in that draft. (yes, and I publicly said on discussion boards back then, "i know Vick will go #1, but, Brees will be the best QB in that class")
    Oh yeah? Well, I’m the guy who said we should take Brady!