Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do We Have a Talent Problem?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do We Have a Talent Problem?

Does anyone else ever feel like we just don't have the talent on our roster that other teams do?

We're not as strong/physical, fast, smart, athletic, etc. compared to our opponents.

Take guys like Switzer and Barron. Both are off the charts slow for their positions and it was really noticeable last night.

Every time I watched our linemen on both sides of the ball, we were getting manhandled or outsmarted. The Pats seemed to be able to plug in guys off the street and easily handle our Dline and Bud. It was such easy work, they were able to focus all their effort on chipping and double teaming TJ all night.

On O, it seemed like every other play we had linemen just standing there watching the Pats tackle someone and make plays. It was like we were playing with 9-10 guys given how often Olinemen were just standing and watching plays and not participating.

Other than James Washington, I'm not sure any of our WRs or TEs could get any separation vs the Pats' DBs.

The only guys on either side of the ball that jumped off the screen as elite athletes in Black and Gold were Watt and Washington. Everyone else, meh. There is clearly a lack of talent on this team and our coaches are in a position of having to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t unfortunately.

Maybe things will get easier when we don't have to play the Pats every week. But some of the time I was watching last night, I didn't feel like we are an NFL roster of players. The smart arse in my head kept questioning could we even compete with Clemson.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That game sucked, throw the tape out, but my quick thoughts:

Moncrief bad game or truely sucks as a WR2, could our rookie outplay him or have more snaps going forward. Looked like Ben was looking for him at the end. Was Moncrief actually getting open or bad throws on all those drops?

J W- he looked like he might closer in getting the start as WR2, He kept on getting open deep down field only to be over thrown on several plays...If he had another connection early might of been different game.

Game of inches and we lost that... killed us. We need to get more out of Conner and burst on the OL in those situations! Go old school power ball,I formatin that what Rosie is on team for!

When you give Brady and Billechek 10-17 point lead that is what happens you just become puddy in their hands. I am more concern about the O then the D...this was all on the O.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

it all comes down to coaching. talent is sufficient

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think we're OK at talent, but we were elite on O before. We need the D to get much better (quickly) to have another good shot.

We need the young guys on D (Edmunds, Bush) and O to step up in a big way if we're going to compete.

But ultimately I think we'll need lots of luck to win again with Ben.

I've been saying this for a while now, but I think situations with AB Bell and Shazier really ended reasonable hopes of winning another one with Ben.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As Woody Hayes said, “nothing cleanses the soul like getting the crap kicked out of you”. This qualifies. I expect to see a much better performance on Sunday in the home opener. The talent is there....I just hate these slow starts to the season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    it all comes down to coaching. talent is sufficient
    Coaches don't play the games.

Boils down to execution by the players ie blocking, tackling, passing, catching, ect.

Legend

User Info Menu

Out game planned again
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The O needs to ask it self some serious questions. 3rd and 1 three times - fail. 4th and 1 - fail. That's absurd. The long drive to the 1 and settling for a FG - fail (on the players and the coaches for not going for it - still a 3 score deficit after a FG).
    Last edited by Ghost; 09-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Coaches don't play the games.

Boils down to execution by the players ie blocking, tackling, passing, catching, ect.
    and in order to do that you have to practice practice practice...and that is on the coaches....

Starter

User Info Menu

Them not going for a TD and opting for a fg was absolute hot garbage