Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Mike Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Or the have a HC with a brain fart ... aka Atlanta SB against NE... should have been an easy win but Quinn lost his mind at the end of the game.
    Or Pete Carroll at the end of another SB. Or McVay the whole game. NE has been quite fortunate.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this illustrates the issue pretty well.

Many of us (myself included) watch all the Steelers games and little of the rest of the league.

Because we see all of Tomlin's mistake (and are emotionally invested in them) we think he makes way more mistakes than other coaches.

I'd say we'd see that in the record if it were true.
    One problem with fans is they only seem to focus on the negatives. The negative narrative seems to drive those fan's thinking and beliefs that the negatives happen the majority of the time. They place more weight on the scale of the negatives than the positives. It really makes no sense when the team won more than they loss with Tomlin as HC.

No one can take away the fact that Tomlin is a winning HC.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pete Carroll keeps getting mentioned. He's considered good, has all the medals. Would anyone seriously take that exaggerated fool over Tomlin?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    One problem with fans is they only seem to focus on the negatives. The negative narrative seems to drive those fan's thinking and beliefs that the negatives happen the majority of the time. They place more weight on the scale of the negatives than the positives. It really makes no sense when the team won more than they loss with Tomlin as HC.

I don't think too many are totally upset over Tomlin's regular season record. They care about his massive failures come post season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    How can Tomlin be this terrible and have such a high winning percentage?

Black magic I tell ya!!!
    Yup, he is a regular season runner up champ.... yippee

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Yup, he is a regular season runner up champ.... yippee
    Good one Ricky Bobby!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

Well said. There are too many "glass half empty" fans who can't see a positive if they walked into it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think too many are totally upset over Tomlin's regular season record. They care about his massive failures come post season.
    And yet many venerate Cowher who failed harder in the playoffs than Tomlin. All those home AFCC losses were soul crushing, but he won at the end and that's what we remember.

Neither is the best of their time.

Both are very good coaches who are among the best of their times.
    Talent vs coaching: [[url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14][/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: [... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5]

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): [... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22]

Tomlin's Las year: [... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So a winning record in the playoffs and winning a championship is a massive failure?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Pete Carroll keeps getting mentioned. He's considered good, has all the medals. Would anyone seriously take that exaggerated fool over Tomlin?
    Yes

He coaches both to his teams strengths and the opponents weaknesses. He has evolved as a coach, changing his teams identity as they have changed personnel. He and his his staff have also done a good job drafting and/or replacing personnel losses. Also, Carroll didn't walk into a loaded team, he built it.

Each of those, are items Tomlin struggles with.