Page 32 of 70 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 692

Thread: Fire Mike Tomlin

  1. #311
    Banned

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Steeler fans just want to win SB’s... that’s it, that’s all.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Hard to take someone serious when they say 'its cool to lose as long as they tried'
    Some posters think Tomlin is terrible and blame many years with a HOF QB and only 1 SB win.
    But Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Marv Levy and Bud Grant are some of the greatest coaches in NFL history.
    Shula won 0 SBs with HOF QB Marino
    Reeves won 0 SBs with HOF QB Elway
    Levy won 0 SBs with HOF QB Kelley
    Grant won 0 SBs with HOF QB Tarkenton
    Just to name a few, and all had many years with these QBs.
    So, do those same posters think these legends are also terrible coaches?
    Just curious.

  2. #312
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    the other owners would have gave the rooney's hell if they didn't hire a minority.
    after creating the rule
    The rule ONLY ensures ONE minority gets an interview. Why is that so hard to grasp?

    I have to admit THIS is the best argument yet.

    Too bad it like the others, are 100 percent baseless speculation.

  3. #313
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by STH70 View Post
    Some posters think Tomlin is terrible and blame many years with a HOF QB and only 1 SB win.
    But Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Marv Levy and Bud Grant are some of the greatest coaches in NFL history.
    Shula won 0 SBs with HOF QB Marino
    Reeves won 0 SBs with HOF QB Elway
    Levy won 0 SBs with HOF QB Kelley
    Grant won 0 SBs with HOF QB Tarkenton
    Just to name a few, and all had many years with these QBs.
    So, do those same posters think these legends are also terrible coaches?
    Just curious.
    They don't, those guys are white so they deserved their jobs and accolades, not like black head coaches who just have everything handed to them.

    #sarcasm

  4. #314
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    They don't, those guys are white so they deserved their jobs and accolades, not like black head coaches who just have everything handed to them.

    #sarcasm
    and don’t forget about all those coaches who had sons who ended up coaching as well...

    They all worked hard for their positions, nothing was handed to Shula, Kiffin, and Turner and all these other coaches kids.

    Merit, it’s all merit.

  5. #315
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by STH70 View Post
    Some posters think Tomlin is terrible and blame many years with a HOF QB and only 1 SB win.
    But Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Marv Levy and Bud Grant are some of the greatest coaches in NFL history.
    Shula won 0 SBs with HOF QB Marino
    Reeves won 0 SBs with HOF QB Elway
    Levy won 0 SBs with HOF QB Kelley
    Grant won 0 SBs with HOF QB Tarkenton
    Just to name a few, and all had many years with these QBs.
    So, do those same posters think these legends are also terrible coaches?
    Just curious.
    Excellent post and I'm sure the Tomlin haters won't touch it

  6. #316
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Excellent post and I'm sure the Tomlin haters won't touch it
    This is easy.
    All underachievers.
    Not to the degree Tomlin is tho.
    Those other coaches didn't have near the overall talent as Tomlin has had.

  7. #317
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I’m sure whatever is an expert and overachiever in his area of expertise.

  8. #318
    Benchwarmer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Excellent post and I'm sure the Tomlin haters won't touch it
    I'm definitely in the not a fan of Tomlin category. I think he is highly limited as a coach, and all the things he's doing today have been exhibited since the beginning.

    Anyway- on that list

    Shula and Marino- imo, is a reflection of that team being so singularly faceted, much like Coryell and Fouts, that they struggled severely when an opponent could defend their passing game.

    Reeves and Elway. Well, that is a tough one. The Broncos teams arguablly had the talent across the board to win, but didn't. That likely falls upon the shoulders of the QB and the HC

    Levy's Bills were loaded. In reality, minus the crazy loss to the Giants, their losses are specific reflection of having to play against one of the most talented teams of all time, in the 90s Cowboys

    Grant- I was pretty young during the Grant and Tarkenton era- and while I definitely recall watching that team (keeping in mind back then it was your 2 or 3 games a week and that was all you'd see) anyhow- the game was very different back then. The QB wasn't nearly as important, in that the defense could absolutely crush receivers, and take away the passing game. Also, I'd go so far as to say- while Tarkenton was a lot of fun to watch, he wasn't necessarily the greatest of QBs- and if forced to make a knee jerk assessment, I'd say their OLine strugged to protect him. Fran was always a scrambling fool.

    That's all I've got-

    :cheers:

  9. #319
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Excellent post and I'm sure the Tomlin haters won't touch it
    I'll bite...Can only speak for myself but, I never used the HOF QB reference in connection with Popcorn...

    You bring up valid points,and even though I knew all these teams and watched them...I never watched them week to week to convey a fair assessment...

    Now Tomlin I can...

    Terrible in-game Coach
    Terrible with Clock management, timeouts, and challenges
    Constantly playing down to inferior opponents
    Terrible Defenses during his entire tenure...
    Specifically DB's, presumedly his forte

    Inability to keep a structured Lockeroom

    I'm sure the other Coaches you mentioned had weaknesses, But not as many as Tomlin...jmo

  10. #320
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDecipher View Post
    I'm definitely in the not a fan of Tomlin category. I think he is highly limited as a coach, and all the things he's doing today have been exhibited since the beginning.

    Anyway- on that list

    Shula and Marino- imo, is a reflection of that team being so singularly faceted, much like Coryell and Fouts, that they struggled severely when an opponent could defend their passing game.

    Reeves and Elway. Well, that is a tough one. The Broncos teams arguablly had the talent across the board to win, but didn't. That likely falls upon the shoulders of the QB and the HC

    Levy's Bills were loaded. In reality, minus the crazy loss to the Giants, their losses are specific reflection of having to play against one of the most talented teams of all time, in the 90s Cowboys

    Grant- I was pretty young during the Grant and Tarkenton era- and while I definitely recall watching that team (keeping in mind back then it was your 2 or 3 games a week and that was all you'd see) anyhow- the game was very different back then. The QB wasn't nearly as important, in that the defense could absolutely crush receivers, and take away the passing game. Also, I'd go so far as to say- while Tarkenton was a lot of fun to watch, he wasn't necessarily the greatest of QBs- and if forced to make a knee jerk assessment, I'd say their OLine strugged to protect him. Fran was always a scrambling fool.

    That's all I've got-

    :cheers:
    Awesome.
    Yup, Levy took his team as far as he could. Losing to a better team in the super bowl is far better than going 3 wins in 8 years while mostly being eliminated by inferior teams.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •