Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Mike Tomlin

Administrator

User Info Menu

Why is it that the NFL has the worst, most inefficient replays, worst camera angles and sometimes they look like their using a Fischer Price camera.

They do not leverage technology available to them to solve easy problems.

And money certainly isn't a problem.

Just about every other sport that has a replay/challenge is better at executing that process than the NFL.

And in a lot of cases, the NFL still gets it wrong!
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Did a guy fumble it the frame before his knee touched the ground, or the frame after his knee touched the ground? Personally, I think you shouldn't be able to be saved by technicalities like that. If the ref felt it was a fumble in the flow of the game, that should be good enough. If you don't want to be at the whim of the ref, don't fumble the ball.
    I agree. If they could follow this rule and handle challenges with this in mind, replay might work.

Maybe something like the replay guy watches the play 1 time from X angles at full speed. And he's gotta overturn a call only if there's clear evidence the zebra on the field got it wrong. Not sure if this makes sense, but the replay guy has to make the call very quickly just like he's a ref on the field. He literally gets 20 seconds to rule. No thinking. No over analyzing. No 100 slow mo replays on the broadcast for 10 minutes dissecting every blade of grass and shadow from every angle. No technicalities.

Or we can just go without replay and live with the ref's calls.

In reality, the only opinion that matters is vegas and the bettors.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just do away with replay, coaches in the booth, iPads to watch the previous series and lets play football. Let the game be played the way it was designed to be played on the field by the players and coaches, no bird's-eye view of plays, put the OC or play caller on the field with no communication until halftime with the coaches "upstairs" watching the game (same for defense). I dislike replay and I dislike all the technology being used. The game was more fun to watch when everything didn't have to try and be perfect.

Oh wait, this is the "Fire Mike Tomlin" thread, so fire Mike Tomlin!

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Just do away with replay, coaches in the booth, iPads to watch the previous series and lets play football. Let the game be played the way it was designed to be played on the field by the players and coaches, no bird's-eye view of plays, put the OC or play caller on the field with no communication until halftime with the coaches "upstairs" watching the game (same for defense). I dislike replay and I dislike all the technology being used. The game was more fun to watch when everything didn't have to try and be perfect.

Oh wait, this is the "Fire Mike Tomlin" thread, so fire Mike Tomlin!

Pappy
    Don't you know that Mike Tomlin is completely responsible to the NFL replay system, the technology used, the process for replay and global warming.

I actually thought that Tomlin was fired 61 pages ago because of the demands of the people

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Why is it that the NFL has the worst, most inefficient replays, worst camera angles and sometimes they look like their using a Fischer Price camera.

They do not leverage technology available to them to solve easy problems.

And money certainly isn't a problem.

Just about every other sport that has a replay/challenge is better at executing that process than the NFL.

And in a lot of cases, the NFL still gets it wrong!
    I did like the small camera they installed at the bottom of the first down marker for this game.

They only played one replay from it during this past game, but at least it is there in case of a questionable spot that can help determine if a ball carrier passed the required distance needed for a first down before their knee hits the turf.

It was similar to the pylon cameras that have been used to help determine if a runner broke the plane at the goal line.

Certainly a better use of technology than Booger riding in a cherry picker contraption on MNF last year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Accounting for the human element of "judgement" it is a 50/50 shot. Anyone can see the call for or against depending on one's perspective. That's why I said 50/50 shot.

I am not a fan of the PI review. It was an overreaction to a missed call. Just let the call stand as called on the field and live with the repercussions.
    If you're referring to the original call on the field as 50/50 I would agree.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I did like the small camera they installed at the bottom of the first down marker for this game.

They only played one replay from it during this past game, but at least it is there in case of a questionable spot that can help determine if a ball carrier passed the required distance needed for a first down before their knee hits the turf.

It was similar to the pylon cameras that have been used to help determine if a runner broke the plane at the goal line.

Certainly a better use of technology than Booger riding in a cherry picker contraption on MNF last year.
    They could use sensors and the lines that indicate the first down marker which is generated on a screen.

You would always know if the ball crossed a plane and you eliminate the need for chains. Speeds up the game and removes the guessing aspect of where to mark the ball.

The only think you need to worry about at that point is where the ball is in relation to their knee, elbow, etc being down.

Is it full proof? No. It solves 80% of a problem. The 20% is still manual.

A big improvement over the guess work they do now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NFL is still entertainment. It’s not really about getting all the calls right.

Obviously.

The camera for the first down pylon is great.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    They could use sensors and the lines that indicate the first down marker which is generated on a screen.

You would always know if the ball crossed a plane and you eliminate the need for chains. Speeds up the game and removes the guessing aspect of where to mark the ball.

The only think you need to worry about at that point is where the ball is in relation to their knee, elbow, etc being down.

Is it full proof? No. It solves 80% of a problem. The 20% is still manual.

A big improvement over the guess work they do now.
    Put sensors on the players, the ball, and the field. Let software ref the game.

But why stop there. Robo players are next. Then you add robo coaches and robo owners and robo fans.

And where do we fit in? We’ll have to be the kids watching other kids playing video games.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Put sensors on the players, the ball, and the field. Let software ref the game.

But why stop there. Robo players are next. Then you add robo coaches and robo owners and robo fans.

And where do we fit in? We’ll have to be the kids watching other kids playing video games.
    Or maybe this world we are living in is just a video game. And this isn't me typing, it someone else. Someone playing the game
    🤯