Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Mike Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    So you're saying we should hang onto Tomlin until Ben retires and we fully rebuild. Interesting. Will Tomlin then be the only coach in NFL history to have a hall of fame quarterback every single year of his coaching career?

Personally I want to see him coach a few years after Ben retires. Let's see what he's made of then. Not many guys get to coach a hall of fame QB, hall of fame WR, possible HOF RB, HOF linemen, etc. I want to see what he does with mediocre talent. We've seen what he can do with elite talent (not much)
    Hell, I want him to teach us all a lesson a go to a bottom dweller and carry them to the same level he carried this team.

Starter

User Info Menu

Did anyone notice ( probably not because it was so late ) That Belicheat was chewing somebody's Ass out on the last series of the game, also... Belicheat and Marsha were looking at notes and Ipads the ENTIRE game, which they dominated...

The losing team, Tomlin and Ben never looked at anything... Popcorn just stood there with his arms crossed...Is he just to cool, or does he have a mind like a Computer? Or both!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    So you're saying we should hang onto Tomlin until Ben retires and we fully rebuild. Interesting. Will Tomlin then be the only coach in NFL history to have a hall of fame quarterback every single year of his coaching career?

Personally I want to see him coach a few years after Ben retires. Let's see what he's made of then. Not many guys get to coach a hall of fame QB, hall of fame WR, possible HOF RB, HOF linemen, etc. I want to see what he does with mediocre talent. We've seen what he can do with elite talent (not much)
    Is that what you think I wrote?

This is what I said.

I also think we probably keep Tomlin into the next GM so that he can be fired by the new GM when / if the post-Ben rebuild doesn't do well in the short term. Assuming that Tomlin doesn't want to retire as well.
    I think after Ben retires we'll most likely be bad (walking by those trophies doesn't help with poor talent). I think this because I believe that talent on the field is more important than coaching.

I think Tomlin is a good coach who has proven that he can do as well or better than all but the best coach in history when he has a good QB.

I don't think he will be consistently competitive without a good QB, because I don't think that's possible in today's NFL (except maybe by BB). I think the days of seeing success with a Cowher style team that has consistently great D & 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense are gone (but it worked well at the time).

So, I think we won't do all that well under Tomlin during the rebuild after Ben unless maybe Rudolph turns out to be a franchise QB (I don't think he will just based on the percentages). Though maybe he keeps us in the mediocre 7 - 9 win range.

By then, we'll have a new GM (as least I assume as much since Colbert only wants to go year to year). It makes sense for new GMs to keep old coaches so they have someone to fire when (if?) their team doesn't do well in the short term. Since I think very good QBs are hard to find, I don't think we'll do well after Ben retires.

I guess an argument for firing Tomlin right after Ben retires would be that it might be easier to tank that way. It's not what I think the team will do, but I think it would be a reasonable choice. Keeping Tomlin after Ben might mean that we end up consistently mediocre at 7 - 9 wins instead of sinking to 4 - 6 wins or something. I don't think the Rooney's will endorse going full tank, but it's probably the best way to get a good QB. If this was the plan, I think we would handle our current cap situation differently by spending large and setting up a bunch of dead money 2 or 3 seasons from now when we assume Ben will be gone.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-11-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Hell, I want him to teach us all a lesson a go to a bottom dweller and carry them to the same level he carried this team.
    This won't happen unless the bottom dweller has a good QB. You can't be as good as we've been without one.

But the data says that coaches with QBs in the same league as Ben tend not to do better than Tomlin has.

I think that suggests that expectations are out of whack. I think this makes sense because the Pats screw up people's expectations.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If you consider BB as the penultimate HC, the fact that Tomlin is just behind him in win percentage should tell you pretty quickly that he is a deviation from norm on the positive side. Finding another positive deviation ain't that easy.
    What has Payton done with Brees for the last 15 yrs?

Fact is, it is damn hard to win a SB even with a QB that is HOF bound.
    damn, that's a really good argument...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    well, they have 2 during Brady's era... pretty sure they lost to the pats 3 times in the AFCC during Brady's era as well... simple math, bro
    ....crickets...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that suggests that expectations are out of whack. I think this makes sense because the Pats screw up people's expectations.
    This. This.

The cheaters have screwed up everyone's expectations. You take them out of the equation and Tomlin isn't nearly as criticized. It's supposed to be hard to win a super bowl. It is hard to win a super bowl. Unless you're the cheaters.

Something still doesn't smell right to me with that organization. Yeah, they're smart with good players. But history says they're doing more than just that. They have 6 rings with 9 appearances since 2000. That's insane and it makes for insane expectations.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    This. This.

The cheaters have screwed up everyone's expectations. You take them out of the equation and Tomlin isn't nearly as criticized. It's supposed to be hard to win a super bowl. It is hard to win a super bowl. Unless you're the cheaters.

Something still doesn't smell right to me with that organization. Yeah, they're smart with good players. But history says they're doing more than just that. They have 6 rings with 9 appearances since 2000. That's insane and it makes for insane expectations.
    Pats... agreed completely. I've used "NBA during the MJ era" as my comp...

I still believe we'd have 4-5 during Brady's era, instead of the 2. And that's a conservative guess, given Brady has personally eliminated the steelers 3 times...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Pats... agreed completely. I've used "NBA during the MJ era" as my comp...

I still believe we'd have 4-5 during Brady's era, instead of the 2. And that's a conservative guess, given Brady has personally eliminated the steelers 3 times...
    in 2004 (they cheated and had tape on us) we were eliminated by them and in 2016. But everything else has been by other teams. I'm not buying the Patriots excuse.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    in 2004 (they cheated and had tape on us) we were eliminated by them and in 2016. But everything else has been by other teams. I'm not buying the Patriots excuse.
    Brady did one more time (pre-Ben).... his first year as a starter, Bledsoe finished the game...