Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperBowl or Bust - 2019/2020 Edition

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    So, he apparently told the Dolphins that he wanted to play slot CB or boundary CB and not either S position (this makes sense for a guy who wants to maximize his value as a UFA).
    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...235163232.html

What position do we play him at?

FS seems to be the best answer because of the higher snap count and the injury to Davis. But, he has said that he doesn't want to play that position (which apparently led to his departure from Miami).

So, do we put him at nickle CB and basically make the nickle our base? And if we do, what do we do in situations where we do move back to the 3 - 4? Rotate him to FS?

I think it will be interesting to see where he plays and how we use him. He's clearly good enough to play in our D and should be on the field basically every snap IMO.

He isn't AB, but I do worry about guys that complain their way of a team. Hopefully, his main issue with the Dolphins was just that they're always terrible.
    The way I read it was they had him playing 6 positions and he wanted to focus on fewer positions.

Will be interesting to see how we use him. We may lean toward having him at FS, but he's better in the slot imho. And if we put him at FS, he'll need to learn SS because we use them interchangeably.

If it's really about getting paid, he's going to have to play CB on the outside which I think he could also potentially do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I’m sure we had that convo before signing him.

He’s playing safety but will probably get to love around a bit like Troy.

At least I hope so

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The way I read it was they had him playing 6 positions and he wanted to focus on fewer positions.

Will be interesting to see how we use him. We may lean toward having him at FS, but he's better in the slot imho. And if we put him at FS, he'll need to learn SS because we use them interchangeably.

If it's really about getting paid, he's going to have to play CB on the outside which I think he could also potentially do.
    I hope you're right.

But the article I copied (first one I found because I'm lazy) specifically said he didn't want to play SS or FS. Anyone else read anything that says otherwise (I hope so).

Wanting to be a CB over S is a logical position for a player who can play both given salaries at CB vs S.

I don't think he's AB, but we want to be careful not to be the Raiders.
    Talent vs coaching: [[url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14][/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: [... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5]

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): [... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22]

Tomlin's Las year: [... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I’m sure we had that convo before signing him.

He’s playing safety but will probably get to love around a bit like Troy.

At least I hope so
    But doesn't that kind of sound like what he was doing in Miami? Except more like primary slot CB and something else in not nickle / dime?

I don't follow the Fins so I could easily be wrong about how he was deployed.
    Talent vs coaching: [[url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14][/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: [... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5]

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): [... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22]

Legend

User Info Menu

But doesn't that kind of sound like what he was doing in Miami? Except more like primary slot CB and something else in not nickle / dime?

I don't follow the Fins so I could easily be wrong about how he was deployed.
    They had a breakdown of # of plays where he lined up during his rookie season in the 2nd video I shared.

379 - Slot CB
    281 - Outside CB
    166 - FS
    95 - In the box
    23 - On the Dline

So he played 70% of his snaps at CB.

Legend

User Info Menu

They had a breakdown of # of plays where he lined up during his rookie season in the 2nd video I shared.

379 - Slot CB
    281 - Outside CB
    166 - FS
    95 - In the box
    23 - On the Dline

So he played 70% of his snaps at CB.
    And they had a couple plays at the end of the video where he lined up as a FS and got beat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And they had a couple plays at the end of the video where he lined up as a FS and got beat.
    I watched both videos (thanks!) and saw that breakdown.

The breakdown kind of led me to believe that he was a slot corner in Nickle / Dime and a S (or sometimes boundary CB) in base.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how we play with this new piece of the D. I hope he can make a huge impact making plays in our secondary (God knows we need it).

Legend

User Info Menu

I watched both videos (thanks!) and saw that breakdown.

The breakdown kind of led me to believe that he was a slot corner in Nickle / Dime and a S (or sometimes boundary CB) in base.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how we play with this new piece of the D. I hope he can make a huge impact making plays in our secondary (God knows we need it).
    It's going to be darn hard to give up 80%+ completion rates over the rest of the year

Legend

User Info Menu

We still control our own destiny. Just win!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Here we go!!!!

Anyone remember being so excited for an 0-2 team to see how they respond?

For some reason, Mason reminds me of a big goofy giant Sydney Crosby. I can't figure out if there's some small resemblance. Or if it's the kinda goofy attitude, earnestness, and hard working seriousness in the way they carry themselves.

Everyone has talked about how we improved the character of our team by replacing AB and Bell with Juju and Conner. I think it's an even bigger character move going from Ben to Mason.

I cannot explain why I have so much confidence in this team right now, but I feel like it's a clean slate and we're prepared and ready to go get #7.