Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck to retire

Legend

User Info Menu

Colts are looking for back up qb help. This is a unique situation where we could make Dobbs available to them and get something in return.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 08-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why would the Colts trade for Dobbs? I don’t see it. If anything they trade for Hoyer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    He did win a lot of games, that is true.

He struggled a lot in 2015 while playing a partial year with injuries, going only 2-5 as a starter, and 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck went 5-3 as his replacement.

But even with him, they were only 8-8 in 2016. 2017 was a 4-12 disaster without him.

Seems to me maybe the team was just poorly built for 3 years there, and another decent QB could have gotten them to an ok season as well. Young Jacoby Brissett was not that guy at the time, although he played decent as a game manager type QB. We shall see this year as a more experienced Brissett will get his turn to lead a solid returning squad.
    Ryan Grigson was a downright AWFUL GM.

Chris Ballard looks to be a high quality GM so far.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    surprising stat: Andrew Luck retires with a sub-90 career QB rating.

He had 3 nice but not incredible years, one decent year, and 2 pretty bad years. For how much he continued to be talked about as a top-tier QB through his career, he never really was.

His career was actually very similar to Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, and Andy Dalton, who all get dogged constantly for being only mediocre.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...ing_career.htm
    Not incredible? He just threw 39 TD's last year. Second only to Mahomes. Threw 40 TD's in another. And he did that with a terrible GM for the most part. Grigson was a terrible GM who didn't know the value of a good offensive line. Ballard came in and has restock that team and made one of the better O-lines ( and teams) in football. If Ballard were there for those Grigson years, Luck wouldn't have been exposed to all those hits as he was. Considering the bad management Luck had above him, he did a wonderful job. And I don't blame him a bit for retiring. He's shot mentally and physically. Most of it being because he had a terrible GM most of his career.

Luck carried nothing (but him) teams to the playoffs with hardly anything around him for years. That unto itself is remarkable.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 08-25-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

And Colts fans booing him? Wow. No class. He literally put his body on the line for them.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Starter

User Info Menu

People make a lot of the fans booing. What does the booing mean? Does it mean they don't think well of him or appreciate what he's done? I think it means they're unhappy that he is leaving. Fans boo players that were once on the hometeam and then go to another team and come back to play. Why? because those players left home. The fans wanted them to stay.
    So, I don't interpret that as negatively as it has been done. It is an infantile reaction to someone that they are attached to leaving. It's not hate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

People on here call Steeler players every name in the book when they don’t do what they want.

I have no problem with fans booing a player who retired early and pretty much ruined their hopes and dreams for this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he deserved to be booed

people clutching their pearls over a pro athlete being booed is hilarious. who pays for tickets again?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he deserved to be booed

people clutching their pearls over a pro athlete being booed is hilarious. who pays for tickets again?
    Wait!... where the hell are my pearls at?!?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he deserved to be booed

It's the equivalent of speaking bad about someone after they die imho. It's like cheering an injury.

It's not like he said F the Colts, I'm going to play for the Pats. Then the booing would be fair.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I feel bad for the guy on the way out. It's not like he didn't give everything he had for the team.