Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Colbert discusses how the Steelers build a roster

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Cowher's initial first round draft pick in 1991 was Huey Richardson...
    Cowher/Colbert together did not miss on first round picks:

Burress
    Hampton
    Simmons
    Polamalu
    Roethlisberger
    Heath
    Santonio

Simmons was the worst of the bunch - hampered by diabetes - and he started from 2002 - 2008. Each guy made it to a second contract.

Colbert/Tomlin made some good/great picks:

Timmons
    Pouncy
    Heyward
    DeCastro
    Shazier
    Watt

They also had some busts or guys that didn't make it to a second contract:
    Mendenall
    Ziggy Hood
    Jarvis Jones
    Bud Dupree?
    Artie Burns?

Those first round misses set the team back by years at each position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    my take on that article is just reiterates how stupid bell was not to take the deal the steelers offered him

for all the sycophants saying he got more guaranteed $$ the reality is that he passed on a much more lucrative offer to stay in Pittsburgh and thank god he did

the team is much stronger for it
    Great point, and you are correct. Bell would have done better with Pittsburgh. And the Steelers were able to use that money elsewhere - no way they could sign Nelson or Barron this offseason if they had Bell's contract on the books. And cutbacks would have been required elsewhere, too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Tuesday, Aug 20, 2019 11:00 AM

“Position flexibility has to be an element of this thing, particularly when you’re talking about adding quality depth,” head coach Mike Tomlin said. “You can turn 53 men into 60 if you have good position flexibility and that’s what we strive to have.”
    While I view position flexibility as a positive, I sense that Tomlin/Butler/etc might take it a bit too far. This position flexibility concept will be the reason we'll be having Vince Williams covering OBJ 1 on 1 in a lot of situations when we play Cleveland.

Yinz know it will happen. Because why stop with the DBs. If an O can't label a guy a LB or a DB, it makes it harder for them to diagnose the D. And to me, that's where we get too cute.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    While I view position flexibility as a positive, I sense that Tomlin/Butler/etc might take it a bit too far. This position flexibility concept will be the reason we'll be having Vince Williams covering OBJ 1 on 1 in a lot of situations when we play Cleveland.

Yinz know it will happen. Because why stop with the DBs. If an O can't label a guy a LB or a DB, it makes it harder for them to diagnose the D. And to me, that's where we get too cute.
    I think that's just a scheme issue with Butler / Tomlin's scheme.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Burress
    Hampton
    Simmons
    Polamalu
    Roethlisberger
    Heath
    Santonio

Simmons was the worst of the bunch - hampered by diabetes - and he started from 2002 - 2008. Each guy made it to a second contract.

Colbert/Tomlin made some good/great picks:

Timmons
    Pouncy
    Heyward
    DeCastro
    Shazier
    Watt

They also had some busts or guys that didn't make it to a second contract:
    Mendenall
    Ziggy Hood
    Jarvis Jones
    Bud Dupree?
    Artie Burns?

Those first round misses set the team back by years at each position.
    Again, as I said many times many years ago, Diabetes didn't hamper- do in Simmons. (ok- it did hamper him that1 season before he knew he was diagnosed). But once he knew he had it, he controlled it just fine. People are so misinformed on the disease. One can play to all star levels with diabetes.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Burress
    Hampton
    Simmons
    Polamalu
    Roethlisberger
    Heath
    Santonio
    While you make a solid point don’t forget......
    Without Rooney’s intervention Colbert/Cowher would have picked a stinking lineman over Ben.
    The most tragic 1st round mistake of all.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    While you make a solid point don’t forget......
    Without Rooney’s intervention Colbert/Cowher would have picked a stinking lineman over Ben.
    The most tragic 1st round mistake of all.
    True. That list looks a bit different if the name "Andrews" is there in Ben's place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    True. That list looks a bit different if the name "Andrews" is there in Ben's place.
    Makes up for Gabe Rivera over hometown boy Dan Marino a couple of decades earlier.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' hybrid defenders want to confuse QBs, but not each other

11:00 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Sean Davis thought he had finally arrived at a point of predictability in his career. In his first three seasons, Davis played nickel corner, strong safety and free safety.

Davis was welcoming a second full season as a confident free safety -- until he found himself at dime linebacker in the second preseason game, lined up against Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce.

"I still do it all," said Davis with a smile. "Still trying to hone that skill set."

This has become a basic tenet of the Steelers' defense: The more you can do.

This month, the hybrid-heavy Steelers have shown Davis in the linebacker role Morgan Burnett played last year, slot corner Mike Hilton dropping to safety, and Alliance of American Football pickup Kameron Kelly playing both of those roles. Cam Sutton can play slot or outside cornerback. Mark Barron became a safety-turned-linebacker years ago.

The goal is to confuse quarterbacks who want to spread them out with five wideouts.

"But not confuse our own guys," Davis said.

That's key for a defense that struggled with communication early last season. Confusion made the secondary look clueless in Week 2 as quarterback Patrick Mahomes tied a single-game Chiefs record with six touchdown passes.

Mahomes' return to Heinz Field last week was far quieter. The reigning MVP went 2-of-5 for 11 yards in two series that ended in a punt and a fumble caused by safety Terrell Edmunds.

Sure, the Steelers weren't expecting Kansas City to get creative with preseason play calling, but this defense is far more confident -- and talkative -- than a year ago.

"That's just a short-term preview of the type of heat we’re trying to bring all season," said Edmunds of Saturday's performance. "We're trying to go out there together, fight together, win together, and hopefully we don't, but we'll lose together."

The early defensive returns are positive with Devin Bush making plays as advertised, Edmunds looking more comfortable in Year 2 and roles solidified with Joe Haden and Steven Nelson manning the outside corner spots.

But for a 2018 group that ranked tied for first with 52 sacks and 28th in turnover margin at minus-7, splash plays are paramount. The Steelers hope improved communication coupled with an array of defensive packages -- up to seven defensive backs at once as hybrid linebacker-safeties -- will yield better results.

The defensive backfield goes by this motto when it comes to pre-snap communicating: If we're all wrong, we're all right.

Hilton cites early season injuries as a hindrance to that plan for parts of last year.

"We're all comfortable," Hilton said. "We've got a lot of guys who are versatile. We've got a room full of guys who are able to make plays at different positions. That helps our defense. We ask each other questions. We pay attention to what each other is doing. We're confident in where guys can play. It just makes us versatile. It definitely feels more real."

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/31118/steelers-hybrid-defenders-wants-to-confuse-qbs-but-not-each-other
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have always thought Colbert and his time have done a very good job. It's a giant Jenga every year and amazingly complex. The fact we are so used to quality teams, winning and playoffs is a testament to their methods.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!