Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington looks like the guy in his college highlight film

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Are Washington and JuJu the strongest WR combo in the NFL?

They both have unique physical styles of playing. It's almost like having two Hines Wards out there, but with more physical gifts to build on

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Are Washington and JuJu the strongest WR combo in the NFL?

They both have unique physical styles of playing. It's almost like having two Hines Wards out there, but with more physical gifts to build on
    JuJu didn't look all that good last night. He was unable to get separation the 2 times he was the goto guy on the play. Small sample, but if I recall correctly, he had the same problem against Cleveland in week 17 last year when AB decided to just not show up and play.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Washington is Digest Player of the Week

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM
    Saturday, Aug 17, 2019

When the Steelers first reported to Saint Vincent College back on July 25 for the start of their training camp, one of the questions to be answered had to do with whether second-year receiver James Washington was going to step up and compensate for some of the catches, yards, and touchdowns that this year will be playing for the Oakland Raiders. Through two games of this preseason, Washington seems to be up to the task.

In the Steelersí 17-7 victory over the Chiefs tonight at Heinz Field, Washington caught four passes for 78 yards, which is good for a 19.5-yard average. And beyond the raw numbers, Washington made plays that had an impact. On the Steelers first touchdown drive, his 22-yard catch converted a third-and-11, and he added an 11-yard reception that was good for another first down. Later in the first half, Washington confirmed himself as a deep threat with a 40-yard catch.

In two preseason games, Washington now has eight receptions for 162 yards (20.3 average) and one touchdown. For his performance against the Chiefs, Washington is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Bud Dupree, who had three tackles, two sacks, three total hits on the quarterback, and one pass defensed; Mason Rudolph, who finished the game 10-of-15 for 77 yards, with no touchdowns, no interceptions, and a rating of 79.0, but on the teamís first touchdown drive, he completed 5-of-6 for 60 yards; Marcus Allen, who had three tackles and a forced fumble on defense, plus two tackles on special teams; and rookie receiver Diontae Johnson, who caught three passes for 46 yards and a touchdown.

https://www.steelers.com/news/washin...er-of-the-week

Legend

User Info Menu

Both James Washington and Diontae Johnson looked really good (if that bogus offensive pass interference was overturned like it should have been, DJ's stat line last night would have been 4 catches for 70 yards and 2 TD's).

Last year, we signed a veteran safety in Morgan Burnett and then drafted promising young safety in Terrell Edmunds. The plan was to start Burnett and allow Edmunds time to learning and develop. Well, Burnett was injured in camp, Edmunds impressed in camp, so once the season began, Edmunds started at safety from day one and Burnett struggled to work his way back from injury.

Fast forward to this year, when we signed a veteran wideout in Donte Moncrief, who has similarly been injured in training camp, while other young WR options James Washington and Diontae Johnson continue to post impressive performances. If Moncrief doesn't return soon, he's in danger of seeing Washington AND Johnson cementing their positions with Juju in our standard 3-wide sets, and he might just succumb to becoming the 2019 offensive version of Morgan Burnett.

I hope not, but when a newby vet spends most of camp in the tub, and younger, cheaper options are out there on the field showing that they are very capable of getting the job done, the possibility no doubt exists. Perhaps it could light a fire under Moncrief now to come out and really impress next week when all of our vets likely play at least half the game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Both James Washington and Diontae Johnson looked really good (if that bogus offensive pass interference was overturned like it should have been, DJ's stat line last night would have been 4 catches for 70 yards and 2 TD's).

Last year, we signed a veteran safety in Morgan Burnett and then drafted promising young safety in Terrell Edmunds. The plan was to start Burnett and allow Edmunds time to learning and develop. Well, Burnett was injured in camp, Edmunds impressed in camp, so once the season began, Edmunds started at safety from day one and Burnett struggled to work his way back from injury.

Fast forward to this year, when we signed a veteran wideout in Donte Moncrief, who has similarly been injured in training camp, while other young WR options James Washington and Diontae Johnson continue to post impressive performances. If Moncrief doesn't return soon, he's in danger of seeing Washington AND Johnson cementing their positions with Juju in our standard 3-wide sets, and he might just succumb to becoming the 2019 offensive version of Morgan Burnett.

I hope not, but when a newby vet spends most of camp in the tub, and younger, cheaper options are out there on the field showing that they are very capable of getting the job done, the possibility no doubt exists. Perhaps it could light a fire under Moncrief now to come out and really impress next week when all of our vets likely play at least half the game.
    Was he back in the game at all after the fumble? DId he re-injure the finger?

And speaking of WRs... does Spencer make the team? Do we keep 7 WRs?

JuJu
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Johnson
    Switzer
    Rogers
    Spencer

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Was he back in the game at all after the fumble? DId he re-injure the finger?

And speaking of WRs... does Spencer make the team? Do we keep 7 WRs?

JuJu
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Johnson
    Switzer
    Rogers
    Spencer
    I don't know about Spencer as a receiver but he is electric as a return guy. He always seems to make the first guy miss. His ball security does worry me and fumbling is the fastest way off a Steeler football team.

Legend

User Info Menu

I could see Diontae Spencer making the final 53 man roster if we are able to trade Eli Rogers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Totally agree with both of you. But what about Moncrief? Did he ever return to the game after the fumble?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I could see Diontae Spencer making the final 53 man roster if we are able to trade Eli Rogers.
    I want Spencer on this team somehow, someway. I think he makes Rogers expendable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Totally agree with both of you. But what about Moncrief? Did he ever return to the game after the fumble?
    They were asking this on the Terrible Podcast too. They weren't sure, but I think they were leaning that he didn't come back.

Hope he didn't reinjure it.