Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones was a Good Pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Landry Jones was a Good Pick

Since it's the off season I thought I'd post this. I find it extremely funny and it just goes to show how inexact a science evaluating players is. Here it is:

E.J. Manuel announced his retirement yesterday. On the surface, that shouldn’t mean much to you except “wow, he was still in the league?” Here’s why it’s relevant. It basically cements Landry Jones as, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, maybe the best quarterback of the 2013 draft class.
    Seriously.

For starters, Jones is the only QB selected that year to have more wins than losses.
    Mike Glennon: 6-16
    Geno Smith: 12-19
    EJ Manuel: 6-12
    Matt Barkley: 2-5
    Landry Jones: 3-2
    Jones also has the highest completion percentage, touchdown rate, and QB rating than the others, too. By no means is this to say that Jones is a great or even good quarterback. It just puts in perspective how terrible that draft class was and for the Steelers, relatively speaking, they made an ok pick.
    Especially when you consider cost and investment. Manuel, Glennon, and Smith were all taken in the top 75. Jones was the last QB of those five off the board at 115 overall. He was the 6th quarterback taken, even behind Ryan Nassib, who only attempted ten career passes and never made an official start.
    Jones was re-signed for two years, $4.4 million in 2017 while Glennon, in one of the worst contracts of this decade, received a 3 year, $45 million deal from Chicago that promptly fell flat on its face (he started four games, winning one). He went on to sign a two year, $8 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals, throwing only 21 passes and getting cut this past March.
    Funny enough, Glennon and Jones now share the same locker room, both signed by Jon Gruden and the Raiders. After failing to draft a quarterback this year, the backup spots to Derek Carr is pretty wide open with Glennon, Jones, and Nathan Peterman on the roster. But given the fact Carr has missed just a pair of games in his NFL career, it’s unlikely that whoever becomes his backup will have much of an opportunity to pad their stats.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/a-...a-good-choice/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Since it's the off season I thought I'd post this. I find it extremely funny and it just goes to show how inexact a science evaluating players is. Here it is:

E.J. Manuel announced his retirement yesterday. On the surface, that shouldn’t mean much to you except “wow, he was still in the league?” Here’s why it’s relevant. It basically cements Landry Jones as, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, maybe the best quarterback of the 2013 draft class.
    Seriously.

For starters, Jones is the only QB selected that year to have more wins than losses.
    Jones also has the highest completion percentage, touchdown rate, and QB rating than the others, too. By no means is this to say that Jones is a great or even good quarterback. It just puts in perspective how terrible that draft class was and for the Steelers, relatively speaking, they made an ok pick.
    Especially when you consider cost and investment. Manuel, Glennon, and Smith were all taken in the top 75. Jones was the last QB of those five off the board at 115 overall. He was the 6th quarterback taken, even behind Ryan Nassib, who only attempted ten career passes and never made an official start.
    Jones was re-signed for two years, $4.4 million in 2017 while Glennon, in one of the worst contracts of this decade, received a 3 year, $45 million deal from Chicago that promptly fell flat on its face (he started four games, winning one). He went on to sign a two year, $8 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals, throwing only 21 passes and getting cut this past March.
    Funny enough, Glennon and Jones now share the same locker room, both signed by Jon Gruden and the Raiders. After failing to draft a quarterback this year, the backup spots to Derek Carr is pretty wide open with Glennon, Jones, and Nathan Peterman on the roster. But given the fact Carr has missed just a pair of games in his NFL career, it’s unlikely that whoever becomes his backup will have much of an opportunity to pad their stats.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/a-...a-good-choice/
    QB seems to be the hardest position to scout in the NFL.

I'd say it's probably among the hardest in all major sports. I think goalie in the NHL is harder, but I know not everyone considers the NHL to be a major sport.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Never understood how EJ was drafted so high. Pretty sure he was drafted by Buffalo because they saw him throw on a windy/rainy day and were impressed by his arm strength.

His decision making was suspect though.

Not sure how this makes Landry better than any of them since he only started 5 games and 3 of them were probably against the Browns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    impressive, Landry Jones is the tallest person at a midget convention.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, there are things that online scouts have a hard time evaluating when it comes to QB. Poise, confidence, leadership, football intellect etc. With that said, some things can be evaluated. The first thing I look at is accuracy. Very rarely does an inaccurate college QB become accurate in the pros. If they are inaccurate, move on. Second, is arm strength which IMO is overrated but needed. I don't want a Cutler. I want a guy who throws a tight soft catch-able ball and can squeeze windows. A guy who throws a soft deep ball with accuracy. That's a tough combo to find. I look next at how a QB progresses through his reads. If his head is stationary, doesn't buy time and most of his passes are to his first look, pass. Some can learn to progress through reads but you don't take those guys in the first round generally speaking. I love pocket presence, a guy who seems to feel the rush and makes small moves to make blitzers adjust their lines. I love evaluating QB against top notch competition when the lights are brightest. Creativity and the ability to extend plays are a plus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    IMO, there are things that online scouts have a hard time evaluating when it comes to QB. Poise, confidence, leadership, football intellect etc. With that said, some things can be evaluated. The first thing I look at is accuracy. Very rarely does an inaccurate college QB become accurate in the pros. If they are inaccurate, move on. Second, is arm strength which IMO is overrated but needed. I don't want a Cutler. I want a guy who throws a tight soft catch-able ball and can squeeze windows. A guy who throws a soft deep ball with accuracy. That's a tough combo to find. I look next at how a QB progresses through his reads. If his head is stationary, doesn't buy time and most of his passes are to his first look, pass. Some can learn to progress through reads but you don't take those guys in the first round generally speaking. I love pocket presence, a guy who seems to feel the rush and makes small moves to make blitzers adjust their lines. I love evaluating QB against top notch competition when the lights are brightest. Creativity and the ability to extend plays are a plus.
    Well said Shawn. That's exactly why Lamar Jackson will not be a good franchise QB.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Well said Shawn. That's exactly why Lamar Jackson will not be a good franchise QB.
    . I’m not sure Jackson fits your stereotypical QB evaluation. His WRs were junk, he is electric with a monster arm and the ability to deliver strikes from deep. I do think he is Vick like. He may never be a franchise Qb but he will be hard to game plan for, will fill seats, and has a very high ceiling if he can develop his pocket ability.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    . I’m not sure Jackson fits your stereotypical QB evaluation. His WRs were junk, he is electric with a monster arm and the ability to deliver strikes from deep. I do think he is Vick like. He may never be a franchise Qb but he will be hard to game plan for, will fill seats, and has a very high ceiling if he can develop his pocket ability.
    They definitely relied on his legs last year and it got them to the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses and how he is handled this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Landry Jones could have been a decent career backup at least if he didnt play so cautiously.
    He reminds me of the O'Donnell days....more worried about keeping his INT % at a low rather than making big plays.
    He proved he could play QB in the NFL but obviously he couldn't overcome the mental aspect to do it Full Time.
    Last edited by SidSmythe; 05-18-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Landry Jones could have been a decent career backup at least if he didnt play so cautiously.
    He reminds me of the O'Donnell days....more worried about keeping his INT % at a low rather than making big plays.
    Hmm. I actually think Landry was too aggressive and careless with the ball.

Pretty sure he came into the Cincinnati playoff game and immediately threw an INT.