Thread: Mark Madden: Raiders finding out Antonio Brown is exactly as advertised

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Madden: Raiders finding out Antonio Brown is exactly as advertised

Mark Madden: Raiders finding out Antonio Brown is exactly as advertised

MARK MADDEN | Monday, August 12, 2019

It took time, but Antonio Brown finally did right by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Forget about his statistics. Brown compiled those for himself, not the team.

The Steelers never won a Super Bowl with Brown. (Told you so.)

But upon departing for Oakland, Brown immediately proved the turmoil that enveloped him in Pittsburgh was every bit his fault. Brown did so by creating comparable bedlam with the Raiders that is, again, totally his doing.

It wasn’t Ben Roethlisberger causing problems in Pittsburgh, like Brown and many agenda-serving members of the national football media claimed.

Brown’s teammates in Oakland don’t yet know him well enough to sabotage him, if he’s considering similar fabrication.

Brown let the Steelers off the hook. Roethlisberger is awaiting lots of apologies.

Brown rarely has practiced this summer. He hasn’t been seen at Raiders training camp in more than a week. He’s late for meetings, inattentive during. He bullied his bosses in Pittsburgh. He’s doing the same at Oakland. You knew that the minute Brown brought his kids onto the field for practice. Brown is running roughshod.

That’s meant figuratively. Frostbitten feet prevent Brown from literally running.

For someone with a rep for working hard, Brown misses a lot of practice. Dedication isn’t juggling a brick on video, then refusing to pay your personal trainer. Dedication involves pulling the same rope as your teammates. Dedication includes jelling.

Brown long has benefited from excuses made on his behalf. The latest barrage cites the potential for CTE. Or perhaps Brown is troubled, and needs therapy.

But it’s more likely Brown is a jerk and has been since tumbling out of the womb. He dropped to the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft because of character issues.

Brown’s personality shortcomings have been exacerbated by money and notoriety. Brown doesn’t care about winning, his teammates, his “friends,” or his family. His lone concern for any situation is how it benefits him. The world exists for Brown’s gain.

Being stupid doesn’t do much to dilute Brown’s narcissism.

The acute frostbite his feet absorbed during cryotherapy could only have occurred had Brown not worn the proper protective footwear. Maybe he wore his $1,000 loafers. You need to be fashionable inside that cryotherapy chamber.

If the notion of Brown refusing to protect his body properly during cryotherapy rings dumb, consider he’s campaigning to wear an unsafe helmet.

That’s Brown’s latest crisis: He’s worn the same helmet since beginning his NFL career. Now it’s been deemed unsafe. But Brown said other helmets impede his vision.

There are dozens of approved helmet options. But Brown threatened to retire or take legal action vs. the NFL if he can’t wear his old helmet. It’s been an issue since May. On the rare occasions he practices, Brown tries to sneak his old helmet onto the field. He even applied a makeshift silver-and-black paint job once. Can’t believe that didn’t work.

Thirty-one other players have switched from their old helmets this season, including Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Brady doesn’t like it. The NFL doesn’t care. So Brady made the change.

Brown bullied the Steelers. He’s bullying the Raiders. But he can’t bully the NFL. His appeal was denied Monday.

This is terrific for Steelers fans. You get to witness the uproar, but the Raiders have to clean up the mess.

They won’t be able to.

The Raiders aren’t a very good team to begin with. Brown is making coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock look like bigger fools with each new eccentricity. The Raiders were 4-12 last season. They needed a workmanlike camp, not an excrement storm.

But Brown has been exactly as advertised.

It will get better, not worse. Between his feet and residue from the helmet drama, it’s easy to imagine Brown not playing in Week 1, or performing poorly if he does. When Brown struggles, the finger-pointing starts. Agitation ferments. Manure rolls downhill. Brown no-shows, or dreams up an injury. He goes in the tank.

The Raiders will be sorry they ever thought of trading for Brown.

They’re probably already sorry.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...as-advertised/
    https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...as-advertised/

Legend

User Info Menu

Dunlap: Gruden Looking Silly Already

by COLIN DUNLAP
    AUGUST 12, 2019

Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden has effectively been emasculated by Antonio Brown.

And Brown hasn’t played a game for the team yet.

He hasn’t really practiced all that much.

Heck, can they even find him? Do they know where the wide receiver is?

Is he in the Bay Area or is he in Florida?

Maybe he's in France?

Maybe he’s finally mowing his lawn in Pine Township?

Is he really even an official Oakland Raider?

Who knows?

All I know is this: Brown is already the most powerful person in black and silver and he is making both Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock look positively silly.

Brown has already succeeded --- again, without catching one pass --- in getting two very good football men who promised to change the culture of the Raiders to kowtow to him.

What a world we live in. Look, I don’t mind that athletes are more powerful than coaches. It is what it is, it isn’t 1955 anymore and athletes are the ones who carry the freight and risk the big injury --- especially in football. But this situation is absurd, and it all really revolves, for me at least, around one thing that Gruden said over this past weekend.

“There’s been a lot of reports out there; I can’t say I agree with all of them,” Gruden said. “This foot injury wasn’t his fault, and it’s a serious injury. … And the helmet thing is a personal matter to him … and we’re supporting him.”

What nonsense from Gruden.

First, the cold feet issue with Brown. I mean, feet so cold that reportedly he injured them severely in one of those treatment chambers. I’d love to know how failing to wear the proper protective footwear inside such a chamber wasn’t Antonio Brown’s fault. Brown has been in one of those cryotherapy chambers before and if he didn’t understand the protocol this time to avoid frostbite, that is certainly on him.

If he knew the decorum and elected to ignore it, that is even more on him.

Either way, Coach Gruden, the issue of the frozen and peeling feet is certainly the fault of Antonio Brown. Those feet are his moneymakers and he’s reckless to not take all the precautions in the world to protect them.

Now to the second part of the quote --- the part where Gruden makes a point to say the Raiders are supporting Brown in his fight to wear a helmet that isn’t permissible by NFL rules.

Why? Why on Earth would a head coach in a league that has fought so hard for player safety align himself with the one guy in the league who is refusing to play by the rules and, in a sense by doing so, ignore every single other player in the NFL who is doing things the right way in regard to the helmet rule.

Gruden has been rendered impotent.

Gruden has had his knees whacked down and he’s nothing but feeble and powerless at this point.

The Oakland Raiders have yet to play a regular season game in the Antonio Brown Era --- and Brown isn’t even practicing with the team --- and he has proven to be a million times more powerful than the coach and general manager.

Good luck with that, Jon Gruden.

Good luck with that, Mr. Mayock.

I have a feeling you guys sold your souls to the wrong devil.

https://937thefan.radio.com/blogs/co...-silly-already

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Think the Raiders will ever be our trade partner again??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a big fan of Madden, but that made me chuckle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Koll: Antonio Brown Is The Steelers Gift That Keeps on Giving

Steelers fans can already sit back and enjoy the destruction elsewhere

by MATT KOLL
    AUGUST 12, 2019

In it, there is a scene in which the main character Clark Griswold gets his much anticipated Christmas “bonus” in the mail. He had been waiting for the extra bump in order to install a pool in his backyard.

In front of his entire family…wife, kids, parents, in-laws and slightly degenerate cousins that have all congregated at his house for the holiday season…Clark opens the bonus to find that it isn’t the money he had hoped for but it is a “one year membership in the Jelly of the Month Club.”

Seconds after announcing this, a character known as “Uncle Eddie” in his hilarious, vapid ignorance exclaims, “Clark, that’s the gift that keeps on giving the whole year.”

I can’t help but to think about that line and chuckle when I see all that has gone over the past few days with Antonio Brown.

Here we were just a few short months ago, sitting through the national narratives that Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger didn’t treat him fairly and that Brown was somehow oppressed by the Steelers.

That somehow he wanted to leave the Steelers because Ben didn’t treat him like family or that they didn’t let him play in Week 17 against Cincinnati despite his desire to.

As Steelers fans, you knew.

You knew what Antonio Brown was like to deal with. You knew that he went Facebook Live during what was supposed to be a private locker room celebration and meeting after a playoff victory. You knew he threatened reporters and hinted at wanting to be traded on social media. You knew about his reckless behavior including throwing furniture out of an apartment window that was stories high, about driving 100+ mph on McKnight Rd.

You even knew about the things on the field, like missing a week of training camp mysteriously, blowing up on the sidelines and throwing water coolers or screaming in the face of his coaches. Oh, and the reported practice blow up on Ben Roethlisberger and subsequent disappearance the rest of the week leading up to that Week 17 game.

You knew. But maybe the football world didn’t. Or maybe didn’t quite understand what happened. Or maybe it was just Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock and the Raiders.

Whatever the case, Antonio Brown is causing destruction elsewhere and to be honest, there is a sweet satisfaction in that. After Brown had been traded for just a 3rd and 5th round pick, there were many analysts that declared Brown ultimately “won” the months long battle between he and the organization.

The Steelers got screwed in letting a talent like Brown walk out the door for such a little price.

Oh, but the price will be paid. And it will be paid all year long, Clark.

Brown hasn’t even gotten onto the field yet in a Raiders uniform and he’s already somehow frozen his feet to the point of not being able to practice.

Not that he would even be able to practice anyway, as he has now filed a grievance against the NFL for making him switch helmets for this season because the one he’s used to wearing is now out of compliance.

He has gone so far as to say he will retire if he can’t wear the right helmet and tried to sneak his old helmet into Raiders practice. NFL PR man Brian McCarthy tweeted Monday morning that Brown will not be able to practice, play or get paid if he doesn’t wear the correct helmet.

Remember when the Steelers drama started before the season even began? Remember when off the wall issues like this would come storming (or helicoptering) into Latrobe before the first regular season snap?

It’s almost a sense of rejoice watching this all unfold. I can’t help but at least slightly enjoy watching Brown taking his insane antics on the road, never to return to Pittsburgh as a member of the home team again. A relief, no doubt.

I don’t expect it to end here, either. I don’t believe Brown will miss any games (or his money) by not complying with this helmet policy. But this won’t be the end of the nonsense. Why would it?

If we’ve learned anything over the past few years it’s that the Antonio Brown drama and distraction monster can strike at any time. The Raiders are now in the process of learning that themselves.

Oh, and that return for Brown hasn’t looked all that bad either to this point. You could argue the extra two picks in return allowed them at least more comfortability in using their first and second round picks to move up to 10th overall and draft Michigan linebacker Devin Bush. He racked up 10 tackles in the first half on Friday night.

Yes, I know one preseason game. But I also like what James Washington showed on Friday as well and all reports out of camp say that Ben and Donte Moncrief have gained an almost immediate chemistry.

The Steelers may never fully replace his production when he was actually on the field and at his best. Antonio Brown will likely get his catches. He’ll get his yards. He’ll get some touchdowns. But I’m very interested to see how those weigh against the baggage he’ll bring along the way. I’m interested to see how that stat line actually translates to wins on the field.

Now that they moved on from him, Antonio Brown is the Steelers gift to the Raiders that keeps on giving all year long….and probably beyond.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...t-keeps-giving

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Decent article except for the “Uncle Eddie” reference.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Decent article except for the “Uncle Eddie” reference.
    Yeah, everyone knows it's Cousin Eddie, not Uncle Eddie.

And if you are going to use a Cousin Eddie quote from Christmas Vacation to sum up the Antonio Brown saga, the obvious one to choose would be "$#!tter's Full!"

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

How come the media isn’t giving Colbert credit on how he’s gotten over on Gruden?

1. Colbert got a 3rd round pick for Martavius Bryant ( who isn’t even in the league anymore) and turned it into our possible qb of the future.

2. Then he ONLY got a 3rd and a 5th round picks for ACB which now looks like real value now because of the ever increasing destructiveness of ACB to his new team.

Colbert is bending Gruden over headboard. I hope to do more business with the Raiders in the near future in this fashion.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I’m going to wait until the season plays out a bit before screaming victory over this trade.

Sure, he is someone else’s headache off the field but on the field he has yet to show he isn’t one of the best.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just hope the raiders win the same amount of superbowls with him that the steelers won.....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!